Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking recently about the book Masquerade by Kit Williams, which was a Big Deal when I was small. I was wondering what other examples there are of games with real life prizes.
I guess there are a few gamebooks (such as Steeleye and the Lost Magic) and I'm sure there are some video games where the first person to complete the game wins a prize or whatever but I wonder if anyone can point towards other examples of games where the player could win a prize for solving the riddle/cracking the code/collecting the clues/finding the hidden message etc.
Is this a thing that mostly belongs in gamebooks and treasure hunt type competitions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones I remember were the Metagaming quest books Treasure of the Silver Dragon and Treasure of Unicorn Gold. While playing the game, you got clues to the location of an actual dragon made of silver or a unicorn made of gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a long standing prize ($10,000+) for the first program written that can defeat the best human Arimaa players before 2010 2020 . . .

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arimaa challenge is good through 2020.

arimaa.com/arimaa/challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy vercruysse
Belgium
bredene
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Do you not see?
badge
That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that pops into my mind is clue investigator by Reiner Knizia. After solving all the puzzles, you can enter a code on www.clueinvestigator.com and if everything is correct, they will mail you some bonus cards for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The NES video game Treasure Master had a related competition in 1991.

I also recall the collectible cards for Perplex City, which had a related game involving a hidden cube worth 100,000 GBP. I'm told you didn't actually need to buy any of the puzzle cards to hunt for the cube, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What about games like Marbles or Pogs where the winner claimed the loser's pieces. That's a real life prize. Even Magic: the Gathering was originally envisioned to have a similar win-or-lose-a-real-card-each-game mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
There are usually chocolate versions of classic childrens games such as kerplunk where you win chocolates dependant upon how much you are beating your opponent by
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, Scrabble etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strippoker? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
insearchofspace wrote:
I was thinking recently about the book Masquerade by Kit Williams, which was a Big Deal when I was small. I was wondering what other examples there are of games with real life prizes.
I guess there are a few gamebooks (such as Steeleye and the Lost Magic) and I'm sure there are some video games where the first person to complete the game wins a prize or whatever but I wonder if anyone can point towards other examples of games where the player could win a prize for solving the riddle/cracking the code/collecting the clues/finding the hidden message etc.
Is this a thing that mostly belongs in gamebooks and treasure hunt type competitions?

There is this Overtext Treasure Hunt 3- Murder!!! Prizes! The game is on

this is the third such hunt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, There was a Hanna Montana or other teen game that came with prizes. A Hello Kitty game had stickers.

Then there's that bug game where, if you lost, you had to eat a bug...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Then there's that bug game where, if you lost, you had to eat a bug...

Tell me more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker is the example that springs to mind for me, given that the score is kept with filthy lucre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you build Manneken Pis (B) in 7 Wonders, the winner needs to buy you a beer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.