Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen another post on this, but no comprehensive answer.

I've just played my first couple of rounds, and I've only just explored the 4th tile (of around 10!)

I figure I could have ignored the mage tower and the nasty marauders but only through constant move actions could you turn over sufficient cards to actually get to the town!

I'd imagine with more players this issue is resolved, as we'd all be trying to kill various people?

I'd really appreciate people's thoughts, even in the video of the first play he'd only explored 2 tiles at the end of the first go, and in theory thats a third of the whole game!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reread the manual, the solo varient is 6 turns, not 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:

True, but "First Reconnaissance", which is what I believe the OP was referencing, is only 3 rounds when played solo.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The solo variant of the walkthrough is 3 rounds, set up the same way as the 2 player intro game. The full conquest version of the solo game is 6 rounds. A Round is 1 Day or 1 Night. 3 Rounds is Day, Night, Day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

True, but "First Reconnaissance", which is what I believe the OP was referencing, is only 3 rounds when played solo.
TK

You do realize the person you quoted and the OP are the same person, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
tkelly wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

TK

You do realize the person you quoted and the OP are the same person, right?

Yep. Couldn't resist. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DeLuxe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There should be 9 tiles in total (for the 2-player scenario; I'm not sure if you should use fewer for solo), 2 of which are revealed at the start of the game. So there are only 7 tiles to explore before you win. This is pretty doable if you don't dawdle.

More importantly, I wouldn't stress about the exact balance of the intro scenario, as it's only there to teach you the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
beakachu wrote:
There should be 9 tiles in total (for the 2-player scenario; I'm not sure if you should use fewer for solo), 2 of which are revealed at the start of the game. So there are only 7 tiles to explore before you win. This is pretty doable if you don't dawdle.

More importantly, I wouldn't stress about the exact balance of the intro scenario, as it's only there to teach you the rules.

Agreed. Just play the solo walkthrough (First Reconaissance) a couple of times to learn the rules. I think Vlaada might be making a tweak to it officially, but for me, this is simply there to teach the game. The 'find the city in time' is there so people know there is a time limit on all scenarios, so they cant dally around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beakachu wrote:

Is this correct? From p2 of the walkthrough:

Starting Tile Side A
11 countryside tiles (green) - when playing with two players, remove the bottom three tiles. = 8 tiles
Core Tiles (brown) = take one city tile and two non-city tiles. = 3 tiles

p3 walkthrough:
Reveal first two tiles and add to starting tile A

=> that still leaves 6 countryside and 3 brown tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hargraves
Australia
Morayfield
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My reaction to the three rounds game length was similar to you after reading the rules and soloing (with two characters) through the first round of the walkthrough.

And it remained my feeling while playing my first real game with a friend yesterday. At the end of the first round we decided that we would just play it out until we hit the city tile.

But in the end it didn't really matter. The last tile was the city tile and it ended up being revealed in my first turn of the third and final round. What I think you'll find is that the nature of the wedge layout makes exploring multiple tiles much faster in the later rounds. Also you'll probably become much less focused on villages, towers and keeps as your unit slots fill up. Also worth keeping in mind that for the intro scenario there is Fame in exploring so do it first!

In any case after my one run through the intro I'd say it's perfectly set up to introduce you to the game in the time it says. Now I can't wait to play a full game!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus realize that you get more efficient with more experience as a player.
I don't have that many games under my belt and yet I feel a very tangible progression!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Fed
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
The 'find the city in time' is there so people know there is a time limit on all scenarios, so they cant dally around.

For me this was a very important inclusion. I started out with the maelstrom of rules swirling in my head and had forgotten that there was a round limit. I remembered it after the first round, and realized I couldn't go fight/explore everything I wanted. Seems like a core aspect of the game - especially solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DeLuxe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
briw wrote:
beakachu wrote:

Is this correct? From p2 of the walkthrough:

Starting Tile Side A
11 countryside tiles (green) - when playing with two players, remove the bottom three tiles. = 8 tiles
Core Tiles (brown) = take one city tile and two non-city tiles. = 3 tiles

p3 walkthrough:
Reveal first two tiles and add to starting tile A

=> that still leaves 6 countryside and 3 brown tiles.

Good point, I was ignoring the two non-city core tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.