United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) the bottom choice of this CAG Chooses crisis card states that all players with Piloting in their skill ser may jump and launch in a Viper. AFAIK,that does include those in the Brig, no?

2) also refers to Pegasus expansion, when you're executed and distancr is 6 or less (7 or less if playing without Pegasus), don't you still pass off all of your unrevealed loyalty cards to 1 human player? Someone countered that u cant do a hand-off since that's part of the penalty for getting executed, which i dont recall reading about nor think is right

EDIT: added a poll

Poll: BSG Exo exp, is Return To Duty a "get out of Brig free" card?
original thread and post here...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8197748#8197748

One option on the Return To Duty, CAG Chooses... crisis card
Quote:
Any character on Galactica with piloting in his skill set may immediately laucnh himself in a viper. Then: LAUNCH Raiders
Is that text effect a "get out of Brig free" card?
Yes
No
I really don't know.
      15 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the brig escape is an oversight, although I admit I've used it. as written I definitely think it works.

Handing off loyalty cards is not conditional on not being executed; it's part of the reveal process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
For #2, even if the official rule were that you can't hand off Loyalty cards if executed (it isn't), it would be necessary to house-rule that that is not the case, since it means that if a double-Cylon gets executed, the humans basically autowin (1v4 is a completely unbalanced game) but the game will still continue for quite some time, which is boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The penalty for being revealed as a Cylon through being Executed is to not get a free Super Crisis nor a reveal effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) We've always played that you can't get anyone out of the Brig with that card as no other crisis card effect allows that. We just assumed it's in line with not being able to launch a brigged Apollo via AVP, or move a brigged player to Sickbay.

2) As already answered, an executed cylon does get to hand off their extra loyalty card(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe this card supersedes the normal inability to leave the brig. Remember Cards trump rules.
See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8190848#8190848

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
The penalty for being revealed as a Cylon through being Executed is to not get a free Super Crisis nor a reveal effect.

Also, you discard all of your skill cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Also, you discard all of your skill cards.

Technically, that happens before you reveal your loyalty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vira Our
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
1) We've always played that you can't get anyone out of the Brig with that card as no other crisis card effect allows that. We just assumed it's in line with not being able to launch a brigged Apollo via AVP, or move a brigged player to Sickbay.

Same for me. I do not see any reason to free a brigged character with this card.

This issue can also be seen in the Core Battlestar Galactica Forum :
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/741569/methods-to-escape-the...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to reiterate that ruling after ruling has come down in this came and the #1 rule is "READ WHAT THE RULES SAY AND APPLY THEM LITERALLY."

Since the crisis card does not say that it can't be used in the Brig (again, I do think this is an oversight), then I would have to rule that it can be.

I certainly think pulling the card out before the game starts and showing it to everyone and discussing whether you want to allow it in the Brig or not is a good idea, or having a general house rule that most of your players will know about (only really presents a problem if someone scouts and leaves it on top thinking they can use it to free themselves/a teammate for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh yuk, looks like a stalemate. I'm in the camp of Return To Duty does allow someone out of the Brig, but I can see legitimacey to those who think otherwise.

Note that I've added a poll to the OP.

FWIW, here's my thematic reasoning (and very much aware that I have made it known that I favor gameplay over thematics as far as rulings go).

Spoilers from later in the show (where the Exodus exp portrays that season in the show... season 3 was it?)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Remember, at that point in the show, they had a shortage of pilots given there were more vipers than pilots. At one point, Adama or Saul says "anyone who's ever held a stick...." should be put in a viper and should fight (battle of the Ionian Nebula IIRC). It seems it was a desparate enough situation to allow those in the Brig out for that purpose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Ugh yuk, looks like a stalemate. I'm in the camp of Return To Duty does allow someone out of the Brig, but I can see legitimacey to those who think otherwise.

Note that I've added a poll to the OP.

FWIW, here's my thematic reasoning (and very much aware that I have made it known that I favor gameplay over thematics as far as rulings go).

Spoilers from later in the show (where the Exodus exp portrays that season in the show... season 3 was it?)
Remember, at that point in the show, they had a shortage of pilots given there were more vipers than pilots. At one point, Adama or Saul says "anyone who's ever held a stick...." should be put in a viper and should fight (battle of the Ionian Nebula IIRC). It seems it was a desparate enough situation to allow those in the Brig out for that purpose

The name alone gives me reason to think it should get you our of the brig...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has gone dark. I recently resent questions that dated back to JULY 2011 or earlier with no answer, so pestering them doesn't guarantee you'll get results. It seems to be a matter of which designer the questions are going to and what kind of mood that designer is in. If the game is current it seems to help.

Even on a good day, it's about 2 weeks for a reply, and I usually allow 4-6 weeks. That's a lot of games of BSG, so it makes a lot of sense to come here and ask, and when necessary, debate, so that you can have a rationale argument for the next time it comes up in your F2F or PBF games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't remembered to pull the card out to look, can anyone post what the quote and picture are? Might help.

Thematically, I think it should work.
It's just like the end at Colony, where Racetrack and the other mutineers are released and Returned to Duty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vira Our
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
I have to reiterate that ruling after ruling has come down in this came and the #1 rule is "READ WHAT THE RULES SAY AND APPLY THEM LITERALLY."

It is why I think you can't go out of brig except if it is written that you can (like in the Quorum card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

Since the crisis card does not say that it can't be used in the Brig (again, I do think this is an oversight), then I would have to rule that it can be.

The relevant rule (in the basegame rulebook) says that the ONLY way of leaving the Brig is by passing the Brig skill check.

Obviously, this doesn't work for Presidential Pardon, which explicitly mentions the Brig, so clearly overrides the general rule. Return To Duty doesn't mention the Brig either way, so it's not clear whether "Launch [player]" is intended to override the rule, or falls into the same category as "Send [player] to Sickbay", which has been ruled by FFG not to allow jailbreaks (reversing an earlier ruling).

My attempt at a general ruling would be that, in order to override that rule, a card has to mention the Brig - if you have to say "move [player] to [location] unless they're in the Brig" every time, then there's no point to the rule.

I do agree that allowing Pilots out of the Brig is thematically suitable for the card, and has ample precedent on the show, so I'd be entirely happy for any playgroup to houserule it that way, but the Sickbay precedent, the general principle that specific overrides generic (the rule is specific about movement from the character's actual location; the card only specifies movement from any generic location the character could be in), and the logic of the rule's existence (it's there so that you don't need to explicitly say "except the Brig" every time movement from a generic location comes up) all persuade me that the rules-as-written don't let Pilots get out of the Brig with Return To Duty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Tim has started answering questions again, I sent this to him on 17 January, 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vira Our
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No news on this issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alkand wrote:
No news on this issue?
Doubt it. I'm gonna treat this one like all others with a "we'll know when he knows" approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always update the UFAQ thread when I know something new...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.