Igor Tudor
Croatia
flag msg tools
new player here blush

I have core + all 6 shadows of mirkwood cycle packs
and I can't (really CAN'T) beat journey along the anduin quest in solo mode.
does any one have any sugestion about good deck with my resources???

(I ask myself: difficulty level of this quest is just 4, what will be with my game with level 7 or more???)

is really just luck involved?
do I really need starting hand with few sneak attacks, and 3 gandalfs to beat this quest?
or I'm doing something very wrong...

my deck with best chances so far is theodred + aragorn + eowyn (leadership / spirit).
lore is tempting but just for possibility of another lucky hand with few forest snares. without forest snare I have zero chance.

what is the best deck (with my cards) for this ugly quest?

but after 0:15 I'm little frustrated... angry

regards & thank you so much!

PS sry for my bad english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to buy yourself some time before the Hill Troll engages you... You really need some allies to take him down, and in these few turns a Gandalf might even come up (take a mulligan for him if you don't have them in your initial hand). Once you have dealt with the Hill Troll succesfully you'll see that the rest of the quest is much more doable. Make use of the possibility to optionally engage an enemy during quest 2B.

So start with a total threat of 27 or lower, preferably with some threat reduction cards (Gandalf being the most important).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic could be of some help to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Tudor
Croatia
flag msg tools
nice sugestions!
ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Igor,

I posted a session report recently (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/745176/journey-along-the-and...) which contains a deck I built which I would expect to beat Anduin pretty consistently. Even then I'll probably lose if I get a second troll out early, or a bad run of cards.

You don't need Lore - the most important thing is to have a starting threat which is low and the ability to quest reliably to avoid the threat going up too quickly at the start. A hero combination like Eowyn + Frodo + Theodred should be fine, for example. Try to play a Steward of Gondor early if you can, and a few combat-capable allies. Ideally you will be able to play Gandalf help you take care of the troll, but sometimes you won't draw one. Frodo makes a good troll blocker, since he won't die.

Forest Snare is good against trolls, but even with Lore in your deck you don't always draw one when you need it. A good deck has more than one way to deal with a problem. The last time my Lore/Spirit deck played this adventure, I played Protector of Lorien on Berevor and used him to defend against the troll for several turns in a row, while my other characters did a few damage on the troll each turn.

If you like, I can help you put together a Spirit/Ledership deck to beat this quest, but you'll probably enjoy it more when you do it for yourself!

Best of luck,

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "getting past the hill troll solo" thread was also very helpful to me and emphasized two things that I had been under-utilizing. First, if your strategy relies on something like Forest Snare, don't hesitate to take the mulligan with your starting hand. It can make a huge difference. Second, a triple-sphere deck is feasible and works very well solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Take a look at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/748309, which is a detailed session report of a successful solo Journey along the Anduin with core Spirit + Leadership deck. Hope this helps inspire you to future success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.