The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
In watching the last Republican presidential debate before the NH primary this morning, I came to the conclusion that Huntsman presents himself with body language ill-befitting a presidential candidate. Along with Huntsman's slightly hangdog look, you have Pillsbury Gingrich, Joe Shmoe Santorum, and doddering "get me back to my deathbed" Ron Paul. We are left with walking penis Rick Perry, and George Hamilton-wannabe Mitt Romney. Of course, in the first major poll after the debate aired, "Other" got twice as many responses as Perry, so we can rule him out (I sincerely hope).

What about it? Are posture and physical appearance really all that matter here? If you want to grade them on their audible-only performance, that's fine, but let's just discuss their looks here, and be as superficial as most of them are being!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It mattered for Kennedy, is the TV age yes appearance matter more then ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fair point, but of course the populace of this country has been discussing Nixon's sweaty lip for decades now, and is presumably "hip" to the issue. Body language is a far more subtle (in my never-incorrect opinion) visual influence for most people than perspiratory abnormality. Or is it!?! This is why my opinion is never incorrect: I don't actually have any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last UK general election the body language of the leaders received (it seemed to me) as much attention as what they were Saying. I think this is the main reason our politics has become so bland and samey. It’s that our prospective leaders are more concerned with image over content. This (I would see) is an argument for an end to TV debates, and have them broadcast on radio only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
In the last UK general election the body language of the leaders received (it seemed to me) as much attention as what they were Saying. I think this is the main reason our politics has become so bland and samey. It’s that our prospective leaders are more concerned with image over content. This (I would see) is an argument for an end to TV debates, and have them broadcast on radio only.

Keeping with the times, presidential debates should be conducted via Twitter. The 140 character limit should help minimize droning, off-point responses to some degree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

Keeping with the times, presidential debates should be conducted via Twitter. The 140 character limit should help minimize droning, off-point responses to some degree.

Nice. I will talk to Aldie and Derk about implementing the same in RSP. It would be the death of Darilian and Meerkat, to name but two. I will miss them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, the next time I want to watch a presidential debate I will just watch Rowan Atkinson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Great, the next time I want to watch a presidential debate I will just watch Rowan Atkinson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

You could do worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Sorry to interrupt the Rowan Atkinson debate with politics, but...

The UK Debate thing was stupid. We don't have a president, we have a prime minister, which is differant. The time would have been better spent with local constituancy based debate among the relevent MPs. Since these are the people we actually vote for.

The benefit was how it highlighted to me how retarded the whole 'Party' system is in the UK. People vote for the Conservative or Labour or whatever person becasue they are Con/Lab/Whatever, not because of who they are and what they stand for. Which is really what we should be voting for. And even then, if your MP wants to vote someway, but the party issues an opposing 3 line whip, then they have to vote that way anyway. Stupid.

Also, Gerald the Gorilla was the best Not the 9 O'clock news sketch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Sorry to interrupt the Rowan Atkinson debate with politics, but...

The UK Debate thing was stupid. We don't have a president, we have a prime minister, which is differant. The time would have been better spent with local constituancy based debate among the relevent MPs. Since these are the people we actually vote for.

The benefit was how it highlighted to me how retarded the whole 'Party' system is in the UK. People vote for the Conservative or Labour or whatever person becasue they are Con/Lab/Whatever, not because of who they are and what they stand for. Which is really what we should be voting for. And even then, if your MP wants to vote someway, but the party issues an opposing 3 line whip, then they have to vote that way anyway. Stupid.

Also, Gerald the Gorilla was the best Not the 9 O'clock news sketch.

I agree, the whole debate thing made me absolutely livid, I also agree that the problem we have is the whole idea of party politics, and you should vote for the candidate not the party. But I have to disagree on one point; Constable Savage was the best sketch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Never vote for someone with a red tie or from a red state, they are commies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They all look like pussies to me, except for Perry. He shots coyotes on his morning jog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
They all look like pussies to me, except for Perry. He shots coyotes on his morning jog.

He has a small penis then, that to my mind is not a qualification for high office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Minute 2:29

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

He has a small penis then, that to my mind is not a qualification for high office.

You've seen the penises of lots of coyote hunters then I take it?

No, its just a wild assumption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.