Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Mac
Canada
Valley
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently come to the realization that Gateway games seem to be my game of preference!

Given the following categories, here are my games of choice:

2-player: Hive, Fjords, Haggis

Family - Dixit, Survive, Forbidden Island

Gaming Group - 7 Wonders, Roll Through the Ages, Cosmic Encounter, Rattus, Troyes (lone exception?)

I think a large part of this may be because I get a chance to play games with my wife and kids (aged 8 and 9) more than my buddies, but even still, I like elegant, compact games more than sprawling ones (though I have a few).

Anyone else like this?
Anyone want to suggest some recent 'gateway' style games for me, since they seem to be my style?

Should I hang my head in shame??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darrenmac wrote:
I've recently come to the realization that Gateway games seem to be my game of preference!

Given the following categories, here are my games of choice:

2-player: Hive, Fjords, Haggis

Family - Dixit, Survive, Forbidden Island

Gaming Group - 7 Wonders, Roll Through the Ages, Cosmic Encounter, Rattus, Troyes (lone exception?)

I think a large part of this may be because I get a chance to play games with my wife and kids (aged 8 and 9) more than my buddies, but even still, I like elegant, compact games more than sprawling ones (though I have a few).

Anyone else like this?
Anyone want to suggest some recent 'gateway' style games for me, since they seem to be my style?

Keep your head up

Stone Age
Ticket to Ride
Terra Nova
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you should not. If you have fun and you find people to play "your games" with, just enjoy. For recent suggestions I would tell you my "gateway favorites" of past essen Kingdom Builder and Coney Island.

Can you name some of the more "sprawling" games you gave a try and did not like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ernest
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko !
Simple Rules, relatively short playtime, beautiful components and artwork, plus.. the theme is ideal for family.

Give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Save keys to open doors...
mbmbmbmbmb
darrenmac wrote:

Not at all!
The people I most enjoy playing games with are my parents, my girlfriend and a couple of good friends, none of whom would describe themselves as 'gamers'. There are lots of games I'd like to get to play but I reckon the games I will be playing the most for the next while will be gateway/family type games and I'm pretty happy with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Me too. I've tried games with more components and long rules and they just leave me flat.
Give me Carcasonne any day. Great little game, so simple yet with so many choices. I think this is the problem I have with many games, the mechanics clog up the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Wallendael
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been trading more and more of my games for gateway games. They just seem to be more social and in the end more FUN! The rules are easy to remember and easy to teach and the play time allows for multiple plays in an evening. You can never go wrong with Ticket to Ride, Medici, Ra or Stone Age. In addition, I have bringing 7 Wonders and Formula D should you have more than 6 players show up on game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with that. I like a lot of those games too, and that is what we mostly play.

I always like to play 7 Wonder, TTR, Survive!, Carc, etc.

We've added more medium weight to our shelves, like El Grande, Fresco, Carson City, Alien Frontiers, Airlines Europe too.

We have a few more epic games, for instance Side Meiers's Civilization. It's a really fun game, but we just can't get to play it all that much.

Good luck with your gaming and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Mac
Canada
Valley
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is - I research games before buying (for the most part), and so I end up liking most of the games I buy/play to some degree. Its just that the ones that require SO much care, SO much set up, SO much time, and are inconvenient to transport seem to have some strikes against them (on my own agenda, I realize) to begin with. I OWN Earth Reborn, and have heard its AMAZING, but I don't know if I'll ever get to play it!

I think when I was younger, a game with LOTS of 'bits', or took several hours to play was not a big deal - maybe even a positive. I really think that my lifestyle (married, kids, work, busy ) seem to, in part, help dictate my tastes (though I've always liked 'clever', 'elegant', streamlined gameplay)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride and the base Settlers of Catan are the two I'd add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EuroPeon
United States
flag msg tools
Lets talk about trends.

Trend 1. Board gaming initially made a comeback thanks to the German interest in family-style games like those you are describing (e.g. Catan, Carc, El Grande, Ra, Through the Desert). When these games started gaining a niche popularity in the worlds largest economy (America) they got their name from their origin: "Eurogames" because they were based on principles American game design had been lacking.

Trend 2. However, something started to evolve in "Eurogames" as they increased in popularity: they grew wider decision trees, they became harder to calculate, became overtly focused on economic optimization and took longer to play (Caylus, Power Grid, Agricola, Le Harve). Eventually, we had to come up with new names. This led to re-branding the games in Trend 1 as "Gateway games". These new games we call "Eurogames" because they are MORE of what we like about the original Eurogames, and MOAR is always better--or so the thinking goes. We can ignore the fact that they are "thinky" or rehashing the same themes we saw in trend 1.

Trend 3. Well, if there's Eurogames, there's got to be American games right? lets call these "Ameritrash" cause they ooze theme and dice and player elimination. If you've played one Medieval Castle building game or a Renaissance themed game, you've played them all--or so the thinking goes. But you can never get enough space-empire building or fantasy themed games--or so the thinking goes. Plus, many of these are updates to games a handful people with poor hygiene liked 30 years ago...so...sounds fun!

Trend 4. Crossover games. If there's Eurogames and there are Ameritrash games, then you can take the principles of both and make something everyone will love (Alien Frontiers, Eclipse, A Few Acres of Snow). In fact, lets shrink the playtimes, too. In fact, these games aren't much different than Trend 1, they are just pushing boundaries in a way games already designed can't.

So no, you're not weird, you just know what you like and where in the spectrum of games you like them. You like the games that are the reason we all like games and have so many games to choose from.

Just ignore the marketing-influenced branding and keep liking what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Darren,

Me too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestions:

Auf Achse
Marrakech (marketed as a kid's game but fun for adults too)
Taluva
The Downfall of Pompeii
12 Thieves
Boomtown
Code 777
Ubongo
Hab & Gut
Wildlife Safari
Roma (2p only)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does your group like about Troyes? If it's the dice action mechanic, you could try Macao or The Castles of Burgundy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
2-player = Jaipur , Jambo

Family = Finca , Jamaica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No shame in being bored or annoyed with larger games.

I've seen heaps of praise thrown at some games like Eclipse and Mage Knight Board Game recently, but I know that it won't fly with the people I usually play games with, and that I'd probably prefer to play several shorter games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you like short games instead of long ones? All the games you posted are short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider this thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/570418/bgg-top-50-light-mid-...

For me it has been an excellent thread. I like all games, but I find myself using this list more than the actual board game ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
For SHAME!

Try these;

Kingdom Builder
Notre Dame
Small World
Bohnanza
Zooloretto
That's Life!
Valdora
Blue Moon City
Tobago
Oregon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darrenmac wrote:

No you should not! It's all about having fun isn't it? thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Park
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I play some "meatier" stuff with my games group, my wife and family love:

Ticket to Ride
Stone Age
Catan
Thebes

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
The Downfall of Pompeii (marketed as a kid's game but fun for adults too)

Excuse me, whaaa?

Edit to clarify: When and where is/was this marketed as a kids game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, Kingdom Builder, and Nefarious are all awesome!

I love gateway games and find that I can play them more then their heftier brothers (although they can be fun too). For one thing a bad gateway game tends to take half as long to play, so trying new ones can be less intimidating...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cotter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
EuroPeon wrote:
Well, if there's Eurogames, there's got to be American games right? lets call these "Ameritrash"...

If you're going to call a dice rolling luckfest Ameritrash then you need to call thinly disguised abstracts/worker placement borefests Eurotrash...tho I find both terms distasteful and insulting to those who enjoy each genre, but that's me.

To the OP, games are played because we have fun playing them, if your having fun then you are making the right choices. If someone thinks that there is a hierarchy in games (and gamers), they are missing the point for why we play.

If you ask me, the family who spends an evening playing Monopoly and has a good time doing it are more successful gamers than a group who spend a night fighting over rule interpretations of a complex game and leave it half finished and themselves frustrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why hang your head in shame? There's a reason gateway games are gateway games and it has something to do with quality. Never ever try to be a second rate version of somebody else - always be a first rate version of yourself.

There will always be somebody who likes something more or less complicated or more or less American or Euro than you. Ask for advice and consider opinions, but never be cowed by those who think they are better than you, especially where games are concerned. You are meant to enjoy yourself, after all!

Go play and never feel the need to use the phrase "guilty pleasure"!

(a definite +1 for Stone Age, by the way - if you love accessible, well-designed, fun, tactical and involving board games - sorry, "gateways" - this will be right up your street!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.