Popular Tags: [View All]
David LeRay
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game of the most cognitive and complex? If not, which games beat it out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struth no. The list you request to best Caylus is huge but imho;

Chess
Vinhos
Dominant Species
Most 18xx
Age of Steam
Agricola
Le Havre
And blah blah blah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that on the cognitive level,this one's pretty much top. I'm sure there are a few out there that play in the same league, but just can't recall any.

As for complexity, that's an entirely different story and I'd say there are plenty of games that beat this one.

I'd say StarCraft would be a good example. There's just so many interwoven things...

Another example for sure is Khronos. I own games such as Caylus, StarCraft, Android or Dungeon Lords, but Khronos is without a doubt the most difficult game to play and to explain. In factm this would be an example of a game that beats Cayslus in complexity and that is for sure at the same level on the cognitive side.

Oh! Speaking of dungeons, there's also Dungeon Twister, which many compare to chess. So on a cognitive level, it surely is up there in the leagues of Caylus.

These are just a few examples out of the top of my mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the very least, the following are unquestionably more complex / cognitive [whatever that's supposed to mean] than Caylus:

Advanced Squad Leader
Magic Realm
18C2C: Manifest Destiny
18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express

And probably all of the others on these two Geeklists:

Life is too short. The longest boardgames by playing time
Most Playable Monster Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you mean by "complex". Do you mean the most complex rules? Or game play? For example, go is supposed to have very simple rules, but be an extremely deep game.

If you mean, complex rule set... I would say no. I think Agricola has more rules than Caylus. Some war games with 50+ page rule books, etc.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Shakespeare
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean hardest to get good at, then yes, Caylus is complex. But not nearly as hard as the hardest, most complex game in the world: Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstractite wrote:
If you mean hardest to get good at, then yes, Caylus is complex. But not nearly as hard as the hardest, most complex game in the world: Go.

+1

thumbsup

Minutes to learn. Several lifetimes to master. Unless you're an idiot savant or a Vulcan, maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deeper strategy: Go
More complex: 18xx
More brain-melty: Roads & Boats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Caylus, but I wouldn't call it all that complex. Sure it can take a handful of games to get competent and several more to be "good" but compared to many games it is simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.