No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Retreating, friendly units negating EZOCS and movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can a unit, when forced to retreat, keep on moving beyond the first hex retreated into if this hex contains a friendly unit? (obviously assuming that the second hex is outside an ezoc or yet another freindly unit is located there. This situation came up a number of times in the 1945 scenario as the Germans try to retreat their units from East Prussia along the Baltic coast).

I know that friendly units negate ezocs for the purpose of supply and retreating, but in another rule it says that movement must still stop. However, the way I see it, retreating is a special kind of movement and does therefotre not fall under the normal movement rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bochum
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you see it exactly the way it is!

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly: Retreat doesn't follow movement rules, but 10.7.5 rules.
1. Retreat 2 hexes (not one, not in zig-zag)
2. No TEC-MP cost involved in those 2 hexes. Only impassable hexes/hexsides are taken into acount (not across lake Peipus, for example). Remember as well that impassable hexsides prevent EZOCs too.
3. Not into EZOC or be destroyed/eliminated.
4. Friendly units negate EZOCs.

If at the end of 2nd hex the retreating unit doesn't contravenes stacking rules (before/after Turn 23) , it's ok.
If at the end of 2nd hex the retreating unit contravenes stacking rules - together with another Soviet army before Turn 23, together with 2 Soviet armies during/after Turn 23 - then ONE Army has to go to Shattered/Destroyed Units box (depends on OOS status, see 8.4.3) , Soviet choice, so that the destination hex will be in compliance of stacking rules.

Well, that's my take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inefable urlik wrote:
2. No TEC-MP cost involved in those 2 hexes. Only impassable hexes/hexsides are taken into acount (not across lake Peipus, for example). Remember as well that impassable hexsides prevent EZOCs too.

If at the end of 2nd hex the retreating unit doesn't contravenes stacking rules (before/after Turn 23) , it's ok.
If at the end of 2nd hex the retreating unit contravenes stacking rules - together with another Soviet army before Turn 23, together with 2 Soviet armies during/after Turn 23 - then ONE Army has to go to Shattered/Destroyed Units box (depends on OOS status, see 8.4.3) , Soviet choice, so that the destination hex will be in compliance of stacking rules.

Well, that's my take.

Yes, this is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OK, just to rule out any uncertainty whatsoever: when using NORMAL movement a unit can still only move one hex even when moving into a hex with a friendly unit that is in an EZOC and not beyond regardless of the status of any of those hexes ("empty", string of friendly units etc.)

I guess this represents the fact that even though movement is possible it will be hampered by the close proximity of enemy units (strafing, artillery fire, incursions, infiltrations etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
inefable urlik wrote:

Well, that's my take.

Or a hex with a stack 3 German units...(right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:

You mean moving one Axis unit on a hex already containing 2 Axis units, right? Then yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reacting in 4 minutes? You are so incredibly fast! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bochum
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
Reacting in 4 minutes? You are so incredibly fast! thumbsup

4 Minutes?

Carl is starting to take longer...

Well, probably only cause he is at work!

'I don't know why anyone ever reads up anything in the rules... It is so much easier and sometimes faster here on bgg!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're fast too!

Edit: typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
licinius wrote:
boersma8 wrote:

You mean moving one Axis unit on a hex already containing 2 Axis units, right? Then yes.

That is indeed what I meant.Good catch to correct me by saying "Axis" instead of "German".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
OK, just to rule out any uncertainty whatsoever: when using NORMAL movement a unit can still only move one hex even when moving into a hex with a friendly unit that is in an EZOC and not beyond regardless of the status of any of those hexes ("empty", string of friendly units etc.)

I guess this represents the fact that even though movement is possible it will be hampered by the close proximity of enemy units (strafing, artillery fire, incursions, infiltrations etc.)

Oh, and Carl, there's a somewhat hidden question in this bit as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can tell, you are correct:

[8.5.3] No Infiltration: Units cannot move directly from one hex in an EZOC to another, unless the hex being entered is also occupied by a friendly unit (where it must still stop as per 8.5.1). Otherwise, a unit must first leave an EZOC by way of a hex that isn’t in an EZOC and then continue moving.

Basically, from what I can tell EZOC still stop a friendly movement even if a friendly unit is present, however you can move from an EZOC to another EZOC if a friendly unit is present (shifting units along a front to make a concentrated offensive).

EDIT: It looks like 8.5.1 always affects your units, you have to stop in EZOC during movement. Although you get limited infiltration to shift units around, retreating or supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
boersma8 wrote:

OK...

When the card says 1MP it means ONEMovement Point, NOT one Hex: or I would have stated "one hex, Normal Movement".

If I would have stated just "1 Hex", since the card text trumps any rules, you could have moved one hex anywhere, regardless of the movement rules (ex: enemy ZOCs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
licinius wrote:
boersma8 wrote:
boersma8 wrote:

OK...

When the card says 1MP it means ONEMovement Point, NOT one Hex: or I would have stated "one hex, Normal Movement".

If I would have stated just "1 Hex", since the card text trumps any rules, you could have moved one hex anywhere, regardless of the movement rules (ex: enemy ZOCs).

No, I'm not referring to cards. I simply mean that say you have a string on German units along the Baltic coast and Soviet units facing all of them, could ypu move a German unit with sufficient MPs more than 1 hex? I'd say no, because movement still stops when you enter a hex in an EZOC even though for SUPPLY and RETREAT purposes such a friendly unit would negate the EZOC (but NOT for regular movement...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No you cannot.

[8.5.3] No Infiltration: Units cannot move directly from
one hex in an EZOC to another, unless the hex being entered
is also occupied by a friendly unit (where it must still stop
as per 8.5.1). Otherwise, a unit must first leave an EZOC
by way of a hex that isn’t in an EZOC and then continue
moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
licinius wrote:
No you cannot.

[8.5.3] No Infiltration: Units cannot move directly from
one hex in an EZOC to another, unless the hex being entered
is also occupied by a friendly unit (where it must still stop
as per 8.5.1). Otherwise, a unit must first leave an EZOC
by way of a hex that isn’t in an EZOC and then continue
moving.

So it must still stop. I was already 90% sure (because of this rule), but it's always good to be 100% sure (-:

Thanks you very much for your swift replies and the wonderful game you've designed. It's become my favorite WW2 Eastern front strategic game within no time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.