Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Lutzke
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After much trial and error trying to find something that both my wife and I would like to play together (after being recommended everything from Dominion to Stone Age), I'm finally figure out what she really likes.

What I'm looking for here is more recommendations based on what she already enjoys: Fast-paced, easy-to-explain, games the likes of Ticket To Ride, Lost Cities, and Gubs. If we can actually sit on the couch and play (Gubs and Lost Cities) it's a bonus. The games need to be relatively short (between 10 to 20 minutes) as well.

Once in a while I'll talk her into letting me explain something deeper and not as fast paced (Last Night on Earth, Nuns on the Run) but they never last and end up being a waste of money because nearly all of my friends do not play boardgames, and since my wife is my best friend and the person I spend the most time with then it's important my collection starts to steer toward games she would no doubt enjoy.

Thanks ahead of time for all of your suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you own 50 games but have only rated 11. Assuming you have played more than 11 games, more ratings might help us make recommendations. Especially if your comments indicate what your wife thought of games she has played.

You like Carcassonne. Have you tried that with her? What didn't she like about Dominion and Stone Age? You have some cooperative games...how have they worked, and do you want more?

The obvious "comparable to Lost Cities" suggestion is Jaipur, a gorgeous rummy-like game that plays a bit deeper than it really is.

Other suggestions:
Ra: The Dice Game - Yahtzee rolling mechanic, with Knizia scoring
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - Dice with a civilization-building theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Parade
Monopoly Deal Card Game
Archaeology: The Card Game
Fairy Tale
Bhazum
Martian Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kingdoms of Crusaders - quite similar to Lost Cities, but a little lighter, plays faster, and the scoring is less painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218 is an awesome 2 player game, just awesome

Micropul - a PNP that my wife loves, very good game, get the yellow and blue version

Dragonheart / been playing it over at boardgamearena, I think this would also fit perfect for what you are looking for

good luck finding good games you both enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto, Oceania and Utopian Rummy (a very nice PnP game) are three that I can think of off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned.

Take a look at the Kosmos two-player series of games. Lots and lots of 2-player games to choose from. I'm not sure how they'll fit into your time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Lutzke
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I see you own 50 games but have only rated 11. Assuming you have played more than 11 games, more ratings might help us make recommendations. Especially if your comments indicate what your wife thought of games she has played.

You like Carcassonne. Have you tried that with her? What didn't she like about Dominion and Stone Age? You have some cooperative games...how have they worked, and do you want more?

The obvious "comparable to Lost Cities" suggestion is Jaipur, a gorgeous rummy-like game that plays a bit deeper than it really is.

Other suggestions:
Ra: The Dice Game - Yahtzee rolling mechanic, with Knizia scoring
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - Dice with a civilization-building theme

Kevin: Yeah, I did all the rating when I first created my account I believe; since then I haven't updated it much other than listing my game collection, but I just rated most of them after you said something. She liked Carcassonne but even though I have most of the expansions and love playing with at least a few of them mixed in, she has yet to play one of those. She didn't like Carc enough to play it too often though. She never even glanced at Dominion and I don't think she'd care for it;l the same goes for Stone Age. I've given up on trying to broaden any horizon at this point and I'm just happy to have her WANT to play a game with me. This has been a trial-and-error process (a rather costly one..lol) but I've finally figured out what she likes and what to start looking for.

I certainly appreciate ALL of your suggestions everyone! It looks like there's quite a few games listed here that we'll be checking out in the future. Thank you very much! Don't stop if you think of more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some of the short 2P mostly card driven games like:

Mr. Jack
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde
Hive
Balloon Cup
Odin's Ravens
Kahuna
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers- Very good with 2P
Blokus
Ingenious

The games below are very easy to pick up, say your wife like Ticket to Ride then I guess the 2 games below are of similar complexity (more or less)

Thurn and Taxis
Tikal

Also consider:

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation- While the game play might be deep, the rules are fairly easy to pick up.

Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War- This might be an eclectic choice, but very very interesting for 2. Personally I don;t think this is very difficult to pick up
Code 777- With Stronghold productions this game has gotten a complete face life. Takes like 2 min to explain and really nice with even 2! Atleast I like it with 2 as well.

How about- JAB: Realtime Boxing or Famiglia not as a main consideration, but something you can look at as well.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonheart
Tien Zi Que
Biblios
Clans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say it´s worth taking a look at my Topology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.