Subject: Any more reviews of this expansion on the horizon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see more reviews of this expansion if at all possible. Is there anyone working on this? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a review but here are some comments I made on the game:

Black Secret is the final expansion that is supposed to complete the Ghost Stories games. In ways I'm happy (no more promo hunting) but in ways I'm sad (they could do at least one more as an expansion for the expansions for extra variety). Overall, it's a great package and with this expansion there are now so many ways to play GS that you should never be bored: Base, Base + WM, Base + BS, Base + BS + WM. That's not even counting that the game plays differently with different player counts, what ghosts will be added and randomly removed, which village tiles will be randomly removed, which powers the Taoists will have, which curse die will be used, which villagers are in play and in what order, and the list goes on and on. No two games should ever be the same!

So, Black Secret makes one player Wu Feng and oh how nasty it can be. Even if he never did any optional things like throwing curses or digging for his urn, his ability to places ghosts on the proper Taoist board where he wants should be enough to give the Taoists a huge run for their money. The curse options can be pretty nasty once you hit level 3 & 4. Even some of the level 2's can be bad in the hands of a crafty player. Digging with your demons can be really good or seemingly a waste of investment depending on the tile draw and how active they are killed/harassed by the Taoists. The Blood Mantras are sweet and Blood Brothers is good but usually easy to forget to use. If I had any complaints about Black Secret, I think it would be that the decision making is very easy for the Wu Feng player compared what the Taoists have to puzzle out. That could be a good if you have friends that are prone to AP or people new to the game that you don't want to overwhelm with heavy rules explanations.

I guess there's is another problem. I don't feel Black Secret interacts well with White Moon. The first reason is that the White Moon rules say you can randomly place the Gate, it makes it harder but you can place it randomly. Since it says that you can, I usually do. It doesn't really make sense when you do this with White Moon + Black Secret primarily because it makes villagers easier to kill. It's already easier for villagers to die when Wu Feng decides where ghosts are placed. Also, the lvl 4 Curse for White Moon is to move the Gate. Well, this Curse is essentially useless if the Gate is already in a corner. No lvl 4 Curse should be useless! The whole point I'm trying to make is that if you're play BS + WM then play with the Gate in the center. Beyond that I still don't think BS interacts well with White Moon. Beyond it being easier to kill choice villagers (which is HUGE!), it's a lot easier for Wu Feng to Haunt a Village Tile (if you focus on Demons/Curses). Haunting a Village Tile can instantly mean 3+ Villagers dying. That's a fourth of what Wu Feng needs to instantly win and doesn't include the nasty effects that happen when those villagers die. I'm not totally opposed to playing WM + BS again but I think just Base + BS is a better experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
This isn't a review but here are some comments I made on the game:

Black Secret is the final expansion that is supposed to complete the Ghost Stories games. In ways I'm happy (no more promo hunting) but in ways I'm sad (they could do at least one more as an expansion for the expansions for extra variety). Overall, it's a great package and with this expansion there are now so many ways to play GS that you should never be bored: Base, Base + WM, Base + BS, Base + BS + WM. That's not even counting that the game plays differently with different player counts, what ghosts will be added and randomly removed, which village tiles will be randomly removed, which powers the Taoists will have, which curse die will be used, which villagers are in play and in what order, and the list goes on and on. No two games should ever be the same!

So, Black Secret makes one player Wu Feng and oh how nasty it can be. Even if he never did any optional things like throwing curses or digging for his urn, his ability to places ghosts on the proper Taoist board where he wants should be enough to give the Taoists a huge run for their money. The curse options can be pretty nasty once you hit level 3 & 4. Even some of the level 2's can be bad in the hands of a crafty player. Digging with your demons can be really good or seemingly a waste of investment depending on the tile draw and how active they are killed/harassed by the Taoists. The Blood Mantras are sweet and Blood Brothers is good but usually easy to forget to use. If I had any complaints about Black Secret, I think it would be that the decision making is very easy for the Wu Feng player compared what the Taoists have to puzzle out. That could be a good if you have friends that are prone to AP or people new to the game that you don't want to overwhelm with heavy rules explanations.

I guess there's is another problem. I don't feel Black Secret interacts well with White Moon. The first reason is that the White Moon rules say you can randomly place the Gate, it makes it harder but you can place it randomly. Since it says that you can, I usually do. It doesn't really make sense when you do this with White Moon + Black Secret primarily because it makes villagers easier to kill. It's already easier for villagers to die when Wu Feng decides where ghosts are placed. Also, the lvl 4 Curse for White Moon is to move the Gate. Well, this Curse is essentially useless if the Gate is already in a corner. No lvl 4 Curse should be useless! The whole point I'm trying to make is that if you're play BS + WM then play with the Gate in the center. Beyond that I still don't think BS interacts well with White Moon. Beyond it being easier to kill choice villagers (which is HUGE!), it's a lot easier for Wu Feng to Haunt a Village Tile (if you focus on Demons/Curses). Haunting a Village Tile can instantly mean 3+ Villagers dying. That's a fourth of what Wu Feng needs to instantly win and doesn't include the nasty effects that happen when those villagers die. I'm not totally opposed to playing WM + BS again but I think just Base + BS is a better experience.

Wow! Truly I am impressed with your response. Thank you! From one fellow Canadian to another, I thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.