Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Just wanted to know your thoughts on:

- Similarities
- Differences
- Better of the 2 games above.

BTW, I own Earth Reborn and enjoying it thoroughly. But just want to know how does MKBG stack up against ER.

Thanks,
Madhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played either yet myself, but from what people have been posting online as well as from my own personal experience with Wizkids, I'd avoid Mage Knight on component quality alone.

The only real component problem I've heard of so far against Earth Reborn is that some of the tiles are unclear for things like walls. Mage Knight on the other hand supposedly has some of the same problems as did Star Trek Fleet Captains with cruddy thin tiles and cards.

Mage Knight has one over on Earth Reborn in that its miniatures come prepainted, but, this being Wizkids, it sounds like some are painted very well and some are, um, not.

At any rate, I have not actually seen the game in person so take everything I'm saying with a very big grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Lowe
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
Two of the best games to be released in the last 5 years. Both are bonofied masterpieces of game design in the modern era. But they couldn't be more different.

This.

They are gems, especially if you like thematic games. In each case, there's a ton of gaming in the box. And the MK component quality is fine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep staring at mage knight but 150 minutes is such a deterent for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to draw flames for this, but Earth Reborn was the most overhyped game of 2010. The rulebook is an assault on good graphic design (and your eyes) and there's just not as much game there as everyone is telling you there is. The components are high quality, but there is just so much iconography everywhere that it becomes a distraction. The modular rules where you learn a little at a time during the scenarios is a great idea, but the various parts of the game don't feel unified, but rather like a bunch of sub-systems bolted onto an idea that never really gets off the ground.

Mage Knight has one minor fault, component-wise - the cards are a little thin and should be sleeved. Other than that, the game is amazing. It will take a few games to get the flow of play down, but it's the heir to the legacy of Magic Realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, Mage Knight is superior. Both are deep and take about an hour to explain the full rules. Mage Knight is totally worth it. Earth Reborn I wasn't so sure.

ER is good but it has a set-up time that made me want to melt my own face.
Don't know about you but when a game takes longer to set up than play it just isn't going to get played...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
there's just not as much game there as everyone is telling you there is.

Dozens of people who ARE playing it, vs one person who isn't.

I wonder which opinion I should believe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scranton
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
Haven't played either yet myself, but from what people have been posting online as well as from my own personal experience with Wizkids, I'd avoid Mage Knight on component quality alone.

I have absolutely no component gripes with Mage Knight. I own it and have played it a number of times. The only component gripe possibility is that the cards are a little thin, but not in a way that would warrant avoiding a ridiculously good game for. This sounds like someone that was disillusioned with WizKids from a bad experience with Star Trek: Fleet Captains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:

When I put it next to My Little Pony Hide & Seek, Space Hulk, Tannhauser, Warhammer, Legions of Steel and every other tactical mini's game I can think of not a single one offers as many possibilities as this. There is a ton of depth there if you play the real game and not the tutorials. Actually any hobby gamer should be able to skip almost all the tutorials (maybe one or two tops) and jump right into it. That is my only complaint. The way the rule book is organized encourages you to think that the game is the scenario's. Such a mistake.

You just convinced me to buy it. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't knew about card thickness, or have read anything regarding component issues. That the painting isn't perfect is fairly obvious but at least someone has thrown some paint on them.

The obvious difference to me is that with mage knight you play against the board so to speak, with earth reborn you play against the other player.

That's a major difference I suppose but but try to do it with lots of options and possibilities it seem. I still don't know how varied or replayable the scenarios of earth reborn is but people who own it don't seem to care or have an issue with it. I assume the same could be said about mage knight once you've seen everything and that maybe something in the player vs player experience keep earth reborn fresh.

I don't see a reason to not have both =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
I'm going to draw flames for this, but Earth Reborn was the most overhyped game of 2010. The rulebook is an assault on good graphic design (and your eyes) and there's just not as much game there as everyone is telling you there is. The components are high quality, but there is just so much iconography everywhere that it becomes a distraction. The modular rules where you learn a little at a time during the scenarios is a great idea, but the various parts of the game don't feel unified, but rather like a bunch of sub-systems bolted onto an idea that never really gets off the ground.

Mage Knight has one minor fault, component-wise - the cards are a little thin and should be sleeved. Other than that, the game is amazing. It will take a few games to get the flow of play down, but it's the heir to the legacy of Magic Realm.
How fun will it feel to play the same scenarios over and over again in mage knight in the long run then? Though I assume there will be expansions helping with that.

Super Dungeon Explore also look cool and is yet again a totally different beast and not as complex.

All three look brilliant. (and BB =P, damnit!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.