United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two old house rules that were floating around the web years ago and one that I created to fix the endgame. I really love the game, but I don't think it works well without them:

Double Movement:
For each movement point move a soldier two positions.

Set-up:
Randomly determine start player. Each person in clockwise order places a ship, soldier and either a citizen's house or harbor building on one spot. Then in after everyone has placed, the last player places again and you continue to place the same options counter clockwise (see: Settlers of Catan). It jump starts the game and makes it more balanced.

Alternate Victory Condition:
If at the the end of your turn, you have 50+ VP and are 10+ VPs ahead of your next opponents, you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
A wolf and a penguin could never live together, nor could a camel and a hippopotamus. That would be absurd.
badge
And the older you get, the fewer things you really love. And by the time you get to my age, maybe it's only one or two things. With me, I think it's one.
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Here are two old house rules that were floating around the web years ago and one that I created to fix the endgame. I really love the game, but I don't think it works well without them:

Double Movement:

Set-up:
Randomly determine start player. Each person in clockwise order places a ship, soldier and either a citizen's house or harbor building on one spot. Then in after everyone has placed, the last player places again and you continue to place the same options counter clockwise (see: Settlers of Catan). It jump starts the game and makes it more balanced.

If at the the end of your turn, you have 50+ VP and are 10+ VPs ahead of your next opponents, you win.

These look good. I just got the game & I'll use them when I first play.

Since you posted this relatively recently I was wondering if you remembered what order you performed actions in. This seems to be a little unclear to me. From a google translation of the rules it seems that income always happens first but then the other actions can be performed in any order.

My main concern is about moving, constructing buildings & purchasing soldiers/ships.

Depending on the order I can see a theoretical situation where one player moves & conquers a settlement then builds a 2nd "barracks" there & then purchases a soldier there (since there are now 2 barracks) & then spends their remaining movement points to move that soldier.

This would not be possible if, for example, constructing buildings had to occur last, or purchasing soldiers had to occur before movement, etc.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

Set-up:

So everyone would have start with a ship in the middle of the board (the space with the fish) and then 2 additional ships?

Also, when talking about playing a house or harbor: would that be to the same spot or different spot? Ie: Are you saying I could place two harbors on the same settlement area or it would be to two different settlement areas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
hxbx wrote:
sisteray wrote:

Double Movement:

Set-up:

These look good. I just got the game & I'll use them when I first play.

Since you posted this relatively recently I was wondering if you remembered what order you performed actions in. This seems to be a little unclear to me. From a google translation of the rules it seems that income always happens first but then the other actions can be performed in any order.

My main concern is about moving, constructing buildings & purchasing soldiers/ships.

Depending on the order I can see a theoretical situation where one player moves & conquers a settlement then builds a 2nd "barracks" there & then purchases a soldier there (since there are now 2 barracks) & then spends their remaining movement points to move that soldier.

This would not be possible if, for example, constructing buildings had to occur last, or purchasing soldiers had to occur before movement, etc.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

I recall that the order is free, so your described move would be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
sisteray wrote:

Set-up:

So everyone would have start with a ship in the middle of the board (the space with the fish) and then 2 additional ships?

Also, when talking about playing a house or harbor: would that be to the same spot or different spot? Ie: Are you saying I could place two harbors on the same settlement area or it would be to two different settlement areas?

I understand that the alternate setup rules replace the original ones, so no third ship in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.