Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a dilema, let me explain...

No, there is too much, let me sum up:

I own an old 3G (16MB) iPhone that has been synced to an older HP laptop (using my iTunes account). This laptop has had issues and would not always recognize the phone when trying to sync, consequently the last sync was over a year ago.I believe the problems started when I tried to update the iOS awhile back - the process hung mid way and nothing has been the same since.

Anyways, I now have a new 4S iPhone. I have been told it's smarter to have my wife and I only use 1 iTunes account since we can share all of the softwar (there are 2 other iPhones and 1 iPad in the house). I also picked up an older Mac Air computer from my sister in law (that will recognize my old iPhone btw), the idea is that we will put all music onto this computer and all sync to it (all Apple to Apple products - which should eliminate most problems).

SO here are my questions...

For my old iphone I need to save pictures, contacts and music off this phone. The Mac Air already pulled the pictures and I do have all the music from my iTunes account backed up on a USB hard drive.

1. How I do back-up contacts and move them to the new phone/computer?

2. Will I be able to use the USB drive music (taken from a Windows PC) on the Mac Air?

3. Is there any Mac compatible software that can simply pull everything off of my old iPhone and then add it to the iTunes running on the Mac Air?

4, Can the other phones all be brought over to this Mac Air easier?

ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a Mac but have an iphone.

Why don't you use the icloud to pull all of your contacts/emails over to your new phone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the old iPhone is still opperating under 3.something software and I don't think it will use iCloud unless the software gets updated. I also can't update the software because the old laptop won't recognize the phone anymore and if I try and use another laptop to update the software, I lose all the data I'm trying to save.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, icloud requires IOS 5, I think. Sorry I can't help with the Mac stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.headlightsoft.com/detune/

Should do the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:

If it won't synch, you could try going into each contact and pressing "share contact" to send them to your new phone or your new laptop by text message or email.

manowarplayer wrote:
2. Will I be able to use the USB drive music (taken from a Windows PC) on the Mac Air?

Yep, if it's in mp3 format. Just open iTunes and choose File > Add To Library. If it's in wmv format, you cna still play it, but you'll have to use VLC instead of iTunes for just those songs.

manowarplayer wrote:
3. Is there any Mac compatible software that can simply pull everything off of my old iPhone and then add it to the iTunes running on the Mac Air?

Detune can do this.

manowarplayer wrote:
4. Can the other phones all be brought over to this Mac Air easier?

If you can upgrade the OS and back them up to your iTunes account with iCloud, it should be easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
manowarplayer wrote:

If it won't synch, you could try going into each contact and pressing "share contact" to send them to your new phone or your new laptop by text message or email.

Don't I need to have the SIM card in both phones at the same time to do the text method?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not "pretty" but if you have a gmail account, you could import the contacts, calendar, etc. into gmail, then export back out of gmail onto the new computer. You may have to do a drop of tidying but that will save you the lion's share of the work.

As far as the music, the simplest thing to do would be to share the current music folder on the old computer and then connect to it on the new one. Copy everything over and, apart from -- again -- some minimal tidying, you should be in business.

Please note: if you're moving from one itunes account to another, BEFORE you delete or otherwise get rid of the old computer, you may need to authorize the new computer to access those files. Depending on how you've been managing things, you MAY need to de-authorize the old computer (you can access itunes content on up to 5 computers at a time, which may not be a problem but it's annoying having to redo all that authorizing if it can be avoided.

FWIW, I wouldn't play any games with backing up or copying off the old phone. Make a clean start with your 4s. It may be a tad more work but it'll be worth it in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
Don't I need to have the SIM card in both phones at the same time to do the text method?

Probably -- might have to stick to the email method then. At the receiving end, put the contacts into the Mac Air's address book, then it can sync from there to your other devices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.