Subject: Ideas for possible expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I am aware that there are licensing issues etc and that no expansions have been announced. I just want to brain-storm som ideas which may or may not be possible to use.

What scenarios can be possible for future expansions of WOTR? I am thinking in lines of BoTTA-expansion which doesn't need to much new unit etc.

The most obvious idea is of course a stratetic/tactical Hobbit-expansion with Battle of five armies as the main event. Many figures from Wotr can be re-used and it's essentialy the same that governs the world (in regard to magic, powers etc).

The battle outside Barad-dur with the Last alliance is another idea but it might be difficult to incorporate easily (more magic and more powerful characters for example).

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty ideas, but as we are testing some of them I am not allowed to discuss them sauron

However, I would like to take the oppertunity say hi to you Björn. I am sure you don't remember me but we met many years ago (15 at least) during the European Championship in Diplomacy, at Lincon. You didn't participate in the tournament (but still managed to pull of becoming the best England player). I barely missed the final as I was stopped one Supply Center short of winning as Russia in one of my games. Still managed to be best Russia because of that (still have the Diploma, signed by you, somewhere).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fogg
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recreate the big battles of the Noldor against the power of Morgoth in the First Age. That would be so awesome, but probably not very marketable due to the main public not being aware of the rich mythology behind Lord of The Rings.

Also, maybe a minigame to play everytime a Hunt is succesful that could replace the Hunt tile draw. I do realize the time needed to play would get higher, but If the minigame is thought properly (maybe with cards) could be lots of fun.

On the minigame line: there could be another set of rules for the trip of the hobbits from The Shire to Rivendel, and it could be played before WoTR to establish initial positions, possible corruption, etc..

Lots of ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As I understand it, Ares has the license for Wars in the 3rd age; this does cover the Battle of Five Armies, but not events in earlier ages involving Morgoth and co.
I've suggested a Battle of Dale/Battle of Five Armies board which could be used for both these events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
As I understand it, Ares has the license for Wars in the 3rd age; this does cover the Battle of Five Armies, but not events in earlier ages involving Morgoth and co.
I've suggested a Battle of Dale/Battle of Five Armies board which could be used for both these events.

Isn't this a license belonging to Games Workshop? Or they dropped it?
I think GW developed a game about the Battle of the Five Armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:
Angry Martian wrote:

Isn't this a license belonging to Games Workshop? Or they dropped it?
I think GW developed a game about the Battle of the Five Armies.

They did: The Battle of Five Armies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patesi LIMAC
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/734210/first-expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, ALL Lord of the Rings-related licenses (including ours) allow elements from THE LORD OF THE RINGS and/or THE HOBBIT to be featured.

On the other hand, anything which comes from the SILMARILLION or the many other JRRT's works including additional stuff about Middle-Earth are not covered (because those rights are handled directly by the Tolkien family, which to my knowledge is very contrary to licensing after the "bad" experience with licensing out the main works).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
cybernex wrote:
On the other hand, anything which comes from the SILMARILLION or the many other JRRT's works including additional stuff about Middle-Earth are not covered

I have heard about that as well. That's why I wanted the thread to be more about neutral brain-storming and less about what it's legally possible to do today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My suggestions for expanding the battle games are:

A "Wilderland" board featuring the battles in the north mentioned in the ROTK appendices; essentially the area covering the WOTR board section centred on Mirkwood;

An "Eriador" board expanding this to the west; the two boards joining along the line of the Misty Mountains.

A tactical board of the Erebor/Dale area for battles of Dale and Five Armies.

There are several possible new figures and units for this theatre, including some that could be used for Hobbit & WOTR scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.