Subject: First game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm a Female Demon Knight, Elven Cloak to start with.

Moved to Lush Jungle, drew Olden Tree. Pointless trying to defeat it, I need 5 successes, but can only roll two dice. No idea what Forest, Respite, Place means on the card. Edit: ok those are the keywords I need to collect to finish my Saga?

Moved to Lonely Gorge, drew Ambassador. Aid, Mountain, Quest. I guess this is a quest. I can choose which stat to roll against? I choose Study. Card says “Defeated by NEUTRAL”, absolutely no idea what that means at this stage. Defeated the card and drew a spell. Am I doing this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct those are the Keyword you need to win.

If any encounters say 'Defeated by ....' If you have a card in your possession which has that keyword on it you can automatically beat the card without having to pass any challenges.

So far you are doing fine. I'd recommend keeping the rules nearby and referring to the FAQ for your first few plays. Certainly helps to check them instead of waiting for answers on here (although we are all pretty kick at getting back to you)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the rules 3 or 4 times and I have the rules with me while playing, both printed and on a tablet but I'm struggling to use then as reference. I seem to have to read them all through to find an answer to a question I might have.

For exemple, I can't remember if, once I defeat an encounter card, do i get the gold as a reward marked on the card as well as the card to place into my hand, or is that the value of the card if i sell/discard it.

Now, where can I find that info. If I look at the sections, I reckon I could find my answer in F Encounters, G Dice and defeating, H Enemies or I rewards. Or possibly in the table that lists the actions, under encounter, or reward, or trade. I'll read all those sections again until I find my answer.
I guess I would have liked to know where to look to find this answer.
I'll let you know when I find it - heh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack, welcome to Kilforth! Great to hear you’ve embarked on your first Fantasy Quest…

SJack wrote:
So I'm a Female Demon Knight, Elven Cloak to start with.

Moved to Lush Jungle, drew Olden Tree. Pointless trying to defeat it, I need 5 successes, but can only roll two dice.

Tough, but not impossible. Remember you get to roll those two dice for each Encounter Action you spend on the Olden Tree because successes are cumulative (and you can boost the dice with Fate Points if required). Of course, if it’s not an essential Keyword, by all means move on.

SJack wrote:
No idea what Forest, Respite, Place means on the card. Edit: ok those are the keywords I need to collect to finish my Saga?

Correct, each card may be used for one Keyword towards your Saga. However, for your first game I strongly recommend you only play the basic GOLD RUSH game, as detailed under VARIANTS, until you’re familiar with Actions and how turns play out. You’ll almost certainly win but it will give you a strong feel for how the game plays without overwhelming you with all the rules at once.

SJack wrote:
Moved to Lonely Gorge, drew Ambassador. Aid, Mountain, Quest. I guess this is a quest. I can choose which stat to roll against? I choose Study. Card says “Defeated by NEUTRAL”, absolutely no idea what that means at this stage. Defeated the card and drew a spell. Am I doing this right?

Yes, all Quest cards have the Keyword ‘Quest’. And as Mmzomba said “Defeated by NEUTRAL” means the player may automatically defeat that Encounter if he has any card in play with the keyword “Neutral” (see Keywords section in the rules). And you’re correct again, Quests yield Spells as Rewards.

Thanks for your questions, and good luck with your adventures!

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear you’re struggling with the rules - hopefully the new version of the rules will be much clearer, but in the meantime feel free to post any and all questions here and they’ll be considered for the FAQ and/or new ruleset.

SJack wrote:
I have read the rules 3 or 4 times and I have the rules with me while playing, both printed and on a tablet but I'm struggling to use then as reference. I seem to have to read them all through to find an answer to a question I might have.

For exemple, I can't remember if, once I defeat an encounter card, do i get the gold as a reward marked on the card as well as the card to place into my hand, or is that the value of the card if i sell/discard it.

Now, where can I find that info. If I look at the sections, I reckon I could find my answer in F Encounters, G Dice and defeating, H Enemies or I rewards. Or possibly in the table that lists the actions, under encounter, or reward, or trade. I'll read all those sections again until I find my answer.
I guess I would have liked to know where to look to find this answer.
I'll let you know when I find it - heh

As per the REWARDS section of the FAQ:

You may a) take the Encounter card into your hand, OR b) draw a card from the appropriate Reward deck and discard the Encounter card, OR c) take the Gold value of the Encounter card and then discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found having a print out of the FAQ as well being handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.