Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased this game for two reasons. First to paint thoose cool miniatures and secondly because I hoped to be able to play this with my kids (aged 6 and 9). The last thing was somewhat a hope as I could not read the rules before i purchased it...

Until now we have played it three times, and the girls loves it

But I have allowed them to win, giving them a chance to learn the rules and to coorperate (more hard than the rules).
My consern is that when I (the evil dad) starts to kill the heroes, and they leavy the game the fun will stop...

I am thinking about using a house rule, so dead heroes return with full life (maybe using resurection?) but still counting the kill. In return I have to kill one less hero than normal.

Have anybody tried something like this and did it work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
How about you have to kill each hero once? (rather than the number of heroes killed)

That might even make one of the already killed heroes protect their sister.

(Your idea will work, because you aren't playing to win, but some heros are softer than others)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right that some heroes are softer than others, my main consert is that it will be to easy for them if they have all heroes all the time.

I don't like the idea to kill each of them once, the last one will run and hide while the rest have nothing to fear (my bad genes will insure that ). Maybe I should just kill the number of heroes that is playing?

I am not playing to win, but they need to loose regulary. That is part of playing games. As a Dad I just want everybody to be part of the game, and don't need to hold back early in the game if I can teach them a lesson or two devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tino Seth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of having the player whose hero died having to choose another hero but make them start next round at the start marker. That way, chances for in0game resurrection remains the same.

As for a way to balance the adding of another hero (while counting the kill toward the council's goal), how about: Place one spawn point back on the board in a room with no heroes in it every time a hero dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
What about just giving each child multiple heroes in a Super game, like one controls 2 and the other 3? That way they still feel the 'loss' because there will be less heroes for them to move?

Or what about giving them a 'free' Res charm? I've been doing the same for my sister to help her out. Kinda like spotting someone a knight or rook when playing chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried a no-elimination variant a few times and posted it here, but its got a bit more going on than just avoiding player elimination.

However the basic idea of heroes coming back but the consul only needing to get half as many kills seems to work pretty well even without the other rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give them "credits" equal to the number of heroes they are running, When one of them dies, they pop in a new credit to continue.
Once they are out of Credits, its game over once they are all dead.

hehe, and it fits the genre too :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
Give them "credits" equal to the number of heroes they are running, When one of them dies, they pop in a new credit to continue.

hehe, and it fits the genre too

I think i will go for this one, easy to explain and fits the genre

I can always adjust the number of credits to balance things out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nors wrote:
squallgoku wrote:

hehe, and it fits the genre too

I think i will go for this one, easy to explain and fits the genre

I can always adjust the number of credits to balance things out...

Yeh someone made a great comment somewhere on the threads basically talking about if you're playing this like a board game where you're trying to destroy each other and win or playing this like a D&D game where the object is just to have fun and run these heroes through a dungeon.

I tend to play more games with the latter in mind, especially when its my niece and neph playing... but ironically I actually did have a game where the heroes died so fast I gave one of my friends a "Here Comes a New Challenger!" option where he spawned a different character at the start point and it WASNT a game with my niece or neph =P but my more "gamer" set of friends.

Dependent on the players skill level, I like the idea of having a set number of "reinforcements" that can come into the dungeon when peoples characters die to keep the game going, but its usually in a game where the focus is the fun of playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
roboraygun wrote:

Yeh someone made a great comment somewhere on the threads basically talking about if you're playing this like a board game where you're trying to destroy each other and win or playing this like a D&D game where the object is just to have fun and run these heroes through a dungeon.

Found it. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8167105#8167105

So far I have found the game works best as a D&D style game when playing with more than 1 other player (regardless of how many heroes). It's just to hard for everyone to have fun when the consul is dominating, and its hard for the consul to have fun if they are TRYING to win against heroes that eat mini-bosses for breakfast.

However, my wife and I have had several great competitive 16bit games (played as a board game) played with just the two of us. Works great, both players alternate turns, and you don't feel like you just got tag teamed when things don't go your way. Plus you can play a few, and switch sides.

The game itself appears to be pretty balanced, but the 'winner' is usually decided by the second or third round in 16 bit. Two spawn points are usually down by then, but either the heroes have enough gear to easily deal with the Rex/Ironscale/Gouger blockade at the third spawn... or they don't. Mind you, victory 'can' swing after that point, but usually its pretty clear who has the upper hand, and this game operates on a pretty slippery slope. (That said, I did have one game where the heroes were on the ropes in the 4th round, had no potions, 3 wounds on paladin and mage, and only one loot and treasure card each... pally got 1 lucky hit on an ironscale to open a hole through the blockade (no units in with armor in range to close it who had not already moved), and the next turn the rogue ran in and hit a gouger for 2 stars and 3 hearts on 4 blue dice.... result was some recharged heroes who then teleported the mage into the middle of the squishy forces and firewaved them to death..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Back on topic... I think this is a great game to play with kids, but just think of it as D&D and 'help' them have fun, "death sounds" and acting out help in my house (including the occasional "minor villain threat" from the priest, "get them minions, they must not escape!").

My two year old has a blast with it 8}, he will pick the tiles for the game, set up the dungeon, pick the heroes (and knows their names), and will pick out the dice for each roll (2 blue and 1 red), then count the stars rolled.

If I could, I would stamp a big "Learn Colors and Counting" label on it and put SDE on the shelf next to the "Learning Ladder".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Criss Horst
msg tools
mb
An idea I've had to make things a little easier is to pull out the resurrect stone and place it so many cards down. 10 maybe but don't let the heroes know how deep so they cant count it. That way they have a much better chance of getting that equipment and surviving my dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Longwing
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
My game group had the same issue with SDE, and I wound up writing a formal version of this rule: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10933519

I've only used it in one play session thus far, but it met with strong approval there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.