Subject: German fleets in 1939 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The German player starts the two 9FF in Konigsberg, East Prussia.

From their eastern front base, can the German fleets:

a) carry ground units to invade Norway (D35)?

b) carry ground units to invade Copenhagen (I32) and/or provide shore bombardment against Copenhagen?

I ask because in both cases the target hex is on the western front while the fleets are based on the eastern front. The rules state that a fleet may not cross a front boundary except by SR, and in both cases above the fleets must cross a front boundary to enter the target hex.

Yet ... I have seen this done in quite a few games I have played over the last year or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean dolbee
United States
Grass Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
29.431 Invasions may be directed against any beach hex, Gibraltar (see 5.6), or single hex white island. Copenhagen and I-31 can be invaded only by fleets based in Baltic ports.

I believe that the target hex is defined by the Sea area that it border's.

For instance the beach next to Marseillies is on the Western front but can only be invaded with fleet's based in the Med.

So IMHO both area's can only be invaded with fleet's from the East.

Sean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers are a)yes and b)yes. This is the same as the beach at U19(Southern France), T10(Portugal), Vigo, La Coruna, DD3(Casablanca), Y38&Y39(Turkey), et al. The offensive is declared for the hex that is going to receive the action. The port the fleet is based in may be under any option including pass.

The examples of rule 20.1 apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks to the both of you for clarifying the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
The German player starts the two 9FF in Konigsberg, East Prussia.

From their eastern front base, can the German fleets:

a) carry ground units to invade Norway (D35)?

b) carry ground units to invade Copenhagen (I32) and/or provide shore bombardment against Copenhagen?

I agree with previous responses, yes and yes. Although the map can be less than completely clear in either case, I think there is a small distinction. In the case of Norway, I believe the intent is for the water to be on the eastern front while the land is clearly on the western front. In this case the 'general rule' applies, which is the same for south France - the target of the 'mission' is what matters here. Thus, it can be subject to a seaborne invasion from fleets based on the eastern front - indeed can only be invaded from the eastern front. Copenhagen and the other island are covered by 'special rule', which essentially gives them the same status, land western, water eastern, although the graphical depiction actually has the water on the western front as well. That is I believe because of the crossing arrows which 'connect' the islands to the mainland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.