Recommend
29 
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Caylus» Forums » General

Subject: Pssst... Caylus for iOS is coming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ho-ho-ho, Santa's a bit late this year, but he hopes what's he has in his bag will make it up to you. Caylus for iOS devices is coming. We're gonna send it to Apple for approval, so you should be able to buy it in a week or so.

More info can be found here: http://caylus.bigdaddyscreations.com/caylus-finished-and-to-...

Old school Santa does not charge you for gifts, but this new, a-bit-late Santa does. Fortunately, it's only $4.99
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good. I have been a bit intimidated by Caylus the board game, so I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks for the heads up!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience it's much easier to get your head aroud iOS version than board game, so I hope you'll like it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you planning an Android port, or are you an iOS-only developer?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are not planning to port Caylus for Android at this point.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
We are not planning to port Caylus for Android at this point.


That's too bad.

I am interested in a digital/mobile version of Caylus but I am not interested in an iOS device.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Emerson

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to this! Thanks for all your hard work!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Runcible Spoon wrote:
I am interested in a digital/mobile version of Caylus but I am not interested in an iOS device.

Well, the rest of us will play, then post our impressions for you. Fair enough?


Yeah, let us know if the game is worth $800, I guess? whistle
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
We are not planning to port Caylus for Android at this point.
It's at times like this that I miss the "thumbs down" button. Let it hereby be known that I would purchase an android version on the day it is released.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you, Hakan. I'm also preaty sure few other people would purchase it instanly. But hundreds of other guys would download it for free as a pirate version. And we can't afford that, sorry.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
Avatar
mb
You say "iOS devices". Does that include older devices such as the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod Touch?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam, everything that uses iOS 4.3 or higher basicaly. But bare in mind this game uses a lot of CPU and GPU as well, so it will work slower on older devices.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Winford
United States
Fairbanks
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! So glad to see a heavy game from a quality developer coming to IOS!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
Avatar
mb
That's a "no" then. 4.3 is for iPhone 3GS onwards only. Oh well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
I believe you, Hakan. I'm also preaty sure few other people would purchase it instanly. But hundreds of other guys would download it for free as a pirate version. And we can't afford that, sorry.
With that kind of reasoning there should never ever be a PC version of any computer program. And I'm sure that a person who wants to pirate a iOS version will do that as well, it's just marginally harder as you need a jailbreaked version of an iPhone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hakko504 wrote:
b005t3r wrote:
I believe you, Hakan. I'm also preaty sure few other people would purchase it instanly. But hundreds of other guys would download it for free as a pirate version. And we can't afford that, sorry.
With that kind of reasoning there should never ever be a PC version of any computer program. And I'm sure that a person who wants to pirate a iOS version will do that as well, it's just marginally harder as you need a jailbreaked version of an iPhone.


Marginally? Well, not really. There's significantly more piracy on Android than iOS.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have asynchronous online multiplayer? *crosses fingers*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
hakko504 wrote:
b005t3r wrote:
I believe you, Hakan. I'm also preaty sure few other people would purchase it instanly. But hundreds of other guys would download it for free as a pirate version. And we can't afford that, sorry.
With that kind of reasoning there should never ever be a PC version of any computer program. And I'm sure that a person who wants to pirate a iOS version will do that as well, it's just marginally harder as you need a jailbreaked version of an iPhone.


Marginally? Well, not really. There's significantly more piracy on Android than iOS.


As many developers you're looking at it from the wrong angle. The question is not on what platform there's more piracy, the question is on what platform you can *sell* the most units.

Platform A : sell 2000, 10 million copies get pirated
Platform B : sell 1000, zero copies get pirated

Which platform do you develop for ?

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
Does it have asynchronous online multiplayer? *crosses fingers*


yes
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yosz wrote:
Brichs wrote:
Does it have asynchronous online multiplayer? *crosses fingers*


yes :)


Fantastic. That makes it an instant buy for me :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
hakko504 wrote:
b005t3r wrote:
I believe you, Hakan. I'm also preaty sure few other people would purchase it instanly. But hundreds of other guys would download it for free as a pirate version. And we can't afford that, sorry.
With that kind of reasoning there should never ever be a PC version of any computer program. And I'm sure that a person who wants to pirate a iOS version will do that as well, it's just marginally harder as you need a jailbreaked version of an iPhone.


Marginally? Well, not really. There's significantly more piracy on Android than iOS.
I did not compare quantity. I said it's slightly harder to put a pirated game on an iOS device. I agree that there's more piracy on android. My point was that piracy is irrelevant. The only questions should be whether you can sell enough copies on a given platform or not. At the moment it does look like iOS is having more success getting customers to pay for content, but as the android userbase is continuing to outgrow iOS, even with a lower percentage of Android users as paying customers, it will be a nobrainer to develop for Android first, and let the iOS customers wait.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hakko504 wrote:
At the moment it does look like iOS is having more success getting customers to pay for content, but as the android userbase is continuing to outgrow iOS, even with a lower percentage of Android users as paying customers, it will be a nobrainer to develop for Android first, and let the iOS customers wait.


Yup, and that's why currently I've got an iPad2 : to play the games that get released today and in the next couple of years - and when/if Android devices become the development platform of choice I'll buy an Android tablet then.

Incidentally, I'm not so sure the iOS platform will lose its current edge that quickly : if many boardgamers have bought into this platform, there's an incentive for boardgame developers to pick the iOS platform because it's a bigger percentage of their *target* market even if Android devices are #1 in the mass market. There's a precedence : Apple held on to their edge in the graphical/layout world a lot longer than many expected.

5 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Marcin said (and he somehow knows everything) yes, it will have asynchronous multiplayer.
Eddy, that's true. But anyway, Android means lower sales and higher piracy.

Edit:
That one goes to your previous post, Eddy.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Łukasz: it's right there on your webpage

Quote:
So here’s a list of (awesome) features Caylus will came with:

Pass&Play mode for playing on one device with your friends
multiple AI players, every with a different strategy
asynchronous multiplayer with push notifications
Universal App – buy once for your iPhone and iPad
King’s Philip the Fair portrait (!)

1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you're ready to submit! I have some money in my iTunes account earmarked for this.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.