Dragan Lujic
Denmark
flag msg tools
Greetings fellow board-geeks!

I've always found the civilization abilities from Civ III and IV (haven't played V yet) quite a charming addition, and since the 2010 Civ board game by FF is a translation of that classic video game series, I thought: why not try and implement another feature from the pc game?

So I tried looking at all the different civ traits found in Civ III and IV, and translated (most of) them to the FF board game version.

Below is what I came up with, but first, 2 notes:

1) I delegated the traits rather quickly and do not claim that they are 100% historically/"Civilizationally"(!?) accurate. If any history/anthropology/Civ-geek out there thinks I'm way off, please, by all means, post your suggestions. I do not consider my list final or perfect. In fact, I would like feedback especially from people willing to try a game or two with my "mod".

2) As mentioned in the beginning, I did not translate all the traits (especially found in Civ IV), and some I combined like Militaristic (Civ III) - which in a way includes Aggressive (Civ IV) - and Expansionist (Civ III) - which is fused with Imperialistic (Civ IV). So if your favourite Civ III/IV trait is sadly missing...it's nothing personal. meeple

Civ III/IV-style Civ Board Game Abilities

Agricultural: # Granary/Aqueduct cost -1/-2 prod. (= 4 prod. for Granary and 6 prod. for Aqueduct)
# Grass tiles with 0 trade AND prod. in city outskirts give 1 of each (stackable with all buildings except: Barracks, Library and Banks (meaning Market still gets the bonus))

Commercial: # Market/Bank, Trade Post and Harbour cost -1/-2, -2 and -2 prod.
# Your civilization gets 1 trade per turn for every 2 Market/Bank, Trade Post and/or Harbour your civilization owns.

Expansive: # When founding a city, gain prod. price for founding figure in capital AND newly founded city
# Harvest market resource next to your city outskirts without scout

Financial: # Harvest coins as market resource (Max. 2 more per city with gold) (If only one city has gold, harvest 1 more per non-gold city)
# Market gives +1 trade, Bank gives +1 trade AND prod.

Industrious: # All buildings cost -1 prod (Mine and Wonders cost -2 prod.) (NOTE: Discounts not stackable with other abilities' discounts)
# Workshop/Mine give +1 production

Militaristic: # 1 unit card per battle is upgraded one level (Example: If all your units are rank 1, one of them, per battle, is played as rank 2) (NOTE: If unit is rank 4 (or airplane) it gets +1 attack strength during entire battle and adds to overall battle score)
# All units cost -1 prod.

Organized: # New figures get a movement bonus: Double your movement once, for free (mark unused movement bonus by laying figure on its side).
# Use any market resource to produce 1 figure or unit.

Philosophical: # Always draw one more culture card and/or great person token/card than otherwise allowed.
# Library/University give +1 prod. AND trade.

Religious: # Temple/Cathedral and Wonder cost -1/-2 and -3 prod. (Religious Wonder discount is NOT stackable with Industrious discount, but its -3 for Wonder cost trumps the -2 from Industrious)
# Level II and III culture cards cost 1 less culture OR trade

Scientific: # Barracks/Academy and Library/University cost -1/-2 prod.
# Barracks gives +1 trade, Academy gives +1 culture AND trade

Board Civ Abilities:

America: Commercial, Expansive, Financial, Scientific, Philosophical
China: Financial, Industrious, Philosophical, Scientific, Religious
Egypt: Agricultural, Financial, Industrious, Religious, Organized,
Germany: Commercial, Organized, Militaristic, Philosophical, Industrious
Rome: Agricultural, Expansive, Organized, Militaristic, Commercial
Russia: Agricultural, Industrious, Militaristic, Scientific, Expansive

Arabia: Expansive, Financial, Militaristic, Religious, Agricultural
Greece: Commercial, Organized, Philosophical, Scientific, Financial
India: Agricultural, Industrious, Philosophical, Religious, Scientific
Spain: Commercial, Expansive, Organized, Religious, Militaristic

Play styles:

Civ III/IV style: Each civ chooses 2 out its five abilities and plays with them for the rest of the game.

‘Investment & Progress’: Start with 1 out of 5 abilities. Gain another once you have 3 level I techs, and another one (making it a total of 3) once you have 2 level II techs. OR, start with 0 abilities (+OPTIONAL: and get the third ability when you research one level III tech).

Free for All: Choose between all 10 abilities for your civ and combine this rule with either (above described) "styles".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notsteve Notlawton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I like the idea, but I don't think our group will implement it. I personally feel each civilizations abillitirs shows off the differences of the people of each nation experienced in real life, wether it be social, economic, climate, or what the society deems important. I feel that by giving all civilizations the same abillities that can be swapped in like puzzle pieces (often leading to two civs bieng the same) you take away some of the uniqueness these nations had in real life. But, I do feel most of these abilities you propose sound fair and none are particularly stronger than the others, so I can at least see some others liking this idea, it's just not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragan Lujic
Denmark
flag msg tools
Deredbaron wrote:
I like the idea, but I don't think our group will implement it. I personally feel each civilizations abillitirs shows off the differences of the people of each nation experienced in real life, wether it be social, economic, climate, or what the society deems important. I feel that by giving all civilizations the same abillities that can be swapped in like puzzle pieces (often leading to two civs bieng the same) you take away some of the uniqueness these nations had in real life. But, I do feel most of these abilities you propose sound fair and none are particularly stronger than the others, so I can at least see some others liking this idea, it's just not for me.

Thanks for your reply, and I guess I agree with you, since I've become more interested in trying to develop new techs and civs, instead of an overarching "mod" like the one I posted here. And there are plenty of cool ideas floating around here in the various custom civs/techs threads, so I recommend checking those out if you're looking for something new and different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.