Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just watched the two Dice Tower reviews/overviews of A Few Acres of Snow. I am very interested after watching these videos... but have a few issues holding me back.

I do enjoy to play some 'lighter' war games (Memoir 44, Neuroshima Hex and Wings of War), but don't have experience with heavier war games. And I do have a few people who would play with me. So I don't think the core theme will be an issue.

However I personally disliked Dominion, and that has left a bad taste with me towards deck building games. I found Dominion boring mostly due to lack of theme. But I also found the game play repetitive, even with the multiple decks to customize each new game with.

Recently I've bought and am highly enjoying Blood Bowl Team Manager, which does have the Deck Building concept... but keeps the deep theme of Blood Bowl. I really enjoy how you build your team as the weeks continue, it gives you very meaningful decisions when drafting new cards and when playing your moves. Also, amazingly my girlfriend enjoys this game too... theme and all.

A Few Acres of Snow appears to ooze theme, something I really like. And the deck building is more like BB:TM, it adds to the theme and adds meaningful game play decisions (vs Dominion). What else do you really like about the game, and what should be the main reason for me to add this to my collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically you are already sold to A few Acres of snow.

While I personally like Dominion, I can perfectly understand that a player who really wants theme is disappointed by Dominion, Dominion pretends to have them, but has absolutely no theme at all...

A few Acres in the other hand has quite a bit of theme as Team Manager has, AND it has a board, which makes it even more themey...

I think you would like A few acres

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played dominion a lot and am very yeah so what about it and hate its themelessnes. I love AFAOS though and its soaked with theme , I very much feel like a building a colony. I highly recommend it.

Why not try before you buy ?It is available on Yucata.de , why not play it and see if you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up regarding online play. Didn't pick up on that option. I'll be sure to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you want a walk through game - invite me - also bluekingzog on Yucata
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.