Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've succumbed to the Ystari marketing ploy after buying the Ystari box and having Sylla as the only expansion left...I now want to know if its worth picking Sylla up. Amazon have copies for about 26 GBP!

4 player games are getting more table time these days so we're trawling for new flesh. Amyitis has been a new buy (at the same time as the Ystari box) and so has Caylus:Magna Carts (as well as guess what!)

Who wants to have a go at selling me Sylla?

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldenturkey wrote:
I've succumbed to the Ystari marketing ploy after buying the Ystari box and having Sylla as the only expansion left...I now want to know if its worth picking Sylla up.

I am on the same boat as you: the Sylla expansion is the only unused expansion from my Ystari box.

So i asked a friend to bring Sylla for a test drive last week. We tried a 4-player game (without the expansion) and we really liked it.

The rules are available from the Ystari site so you can get an idea how it plays. The game is based on the auction mechanic but it lasts for only 5 rounds so auctions aren't getting repetitive.

There are some important decisions during play, as your characters (which you draft each turn, besides your starting 4) can be used for different things but you can only do one thing with them and then you tap them for the rest of the turn. The events at the end of each round create mini-alliances: some players cooperate to fight a punishing event, while others are not affected.

Different strategies are possible: i ignored the punishing famine and concentrated solely on Res Publica tokens. I was 54VPs behind (!) on the last round, yet i still managed to come first in the end!

It is important to watch what the other players are doing as that will help you determine what characters/buildings they need and plan accordingly (mainly your bids with your characters).

As you can tell we enjoyed the game a lot and i am looking forward to acquiring my own copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldenturkey wrote:
Amazon have copies for about 26 GBP!

Amazon.de has copies starting from 9.99€

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylla is a solid enough game. In a world with fewer than ten million new games released every year, you could probably have a heap of fun playing this repeatedly for years on end. The rating of ~300 seems a bit right to me.

If you already have a bunch of other VP-engine-Euros (do X to do Y to get Z victory points along the way and then final round scoring of bonus points) then this one might just get lost in the crowd and seem like Just Another Standard Euro.

Some people won't like it because of the constant disaster prevention necessary. Some people find that kind of thing in games too negative or too stressful and prefer games where you are building things, rather than preventing destruction. (Compare, for instance, Agricola to In The Year of the Dragon.)

I have it and like it pretty well. There are other games I have that I like more though. I think I rated it a 7 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoostus wrote:
Some people won't like it because of the constant disaster prevention necessary.

To me, the disaster prevention is what elevates Sylla beyond "just another Euro".

Quote:
Compare, for instance, Agricola to In The Year of the Dragon.

Yep, though Sylla goes beyond ITYOTD, in my opinion, because it makes quelling the disasters a semi-cooperative endeavor. The resulting little temporary alliances are a nice dynamic.

Sylla is my favorite Ystari game as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm! Though it sounds interesting it does sound like one Euro too far for me.

I have alot of them at present (well loved) but maybe I'll just let the Sylla expansion slowly fossilise in the box, sad lonely and unused!

Thanks for the feedback all!

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldenturkey wrote:
I've succumbed to the Ystari marketing ploy after buying the Ystari box

Sounds like me in reverse, I owned and very much liked Sylla, played/bought Caylus :Magna Cartas and Amyitis and both left me feeling like Sylla was the better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ystari box annoyed the living heck out of me; Sylla is the only game in that entire box I care about, so I had to track down the expansion for it separately. Luckily I found a gamer willing to part with that part.

Same deal with the Rio Grande/Alea box; all I wanted was San Juan, not the other !#$$#@!.

I hope that no company ever does this experiment again. It sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeh! Still left with stuff I'll never use and as I have a fair few games already, I'm not willing to buy a 'similar' dog just to get some use out of them!

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Ystari box annoyed the living heck out of me; Sylla is the only game in that entire box I care about, so I had to track down the expansion for it separately. Luckily I found a gamer willing to part with that part.

Had to do the same and track down the expansion. The expansion is a great addition to the game. The game is excellent, and my understanding is its low rating is unjustified, ie box cover dislikers, Christian element dislikers. The game is very different than most games i have played by far and all in our games group love it. Well balanced, a semi co-op game, multiple bidding mechanics.
For those of you keeping the expansion to collect dust, please put them up for sale here if you do not want to get the game. The cards really add to the game and are very difficult to find on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Rick.

Although I prefer the term "mutual interests", rather than co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of copies of this scattered around the uk,sold in works bookstores at £9.99p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure you can find this game inexpensively.

It's really fun with the right group of people because you feel like a Roman senator building Rome, fighting off bad things happening to the city while trying to get as much credit for Rome's successes and being the least blamed for its failures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
hoostus wrote:
If you already have a bunch of other VP-engine-Euros (do X to do Y to get Z victory points along the way and then final round scoring of bonus points) then this one might just get lost in the crowd and seem like Just Another Standard Euro.

This one certainly contains several mechanics that are common among Euros. But in my opinion, Sylla makes them shine just a little brighter than most. Every detail and decision counts, and the only thing that looks out of place is the mound of Republica tokens that comes with the game, as the rest of the components are pretty minimalistic, such as the meager pile of coins (again, compared to most Euros). At first glance, you wonder how deep this game is going to be. Then, once you play it, you see just how thoughtful and important every component is, and how each game reveals different winning strategies. There is plenty of re-playability, and little to no filler in this one.

...it's fair to say that I enjoy Sylla. whistle

I'm still in the frustrating position of acquiring the expansion without buying the whole Ystari box...angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dbolyard wrote:
I'm still in the frustrating position of acquiring the expansion without buying the whole Ystari box...angry

The box was going very cheaply in the UK a couple of years ago (I paid £3) so there might well be people in the UK who bought it and would be willing to sell that expansion to you.

After a quick look on Ebay UK, here's a copy from Italy that's cheap, though of course postage will not be. Worth checking out, anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Much appreciated. I have been trolling ebay here in the states as well. I enjoy the game as is, but would love to have the expansion. I'm hoping to land the expansion for around $10. $10 is all I paid for the base game, so spending double that or more on a minor expansion drives me batty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, I totally understand. I got the game for about the same, and would feel the same way if I didn't already have the expansion.

You could always do what I did: research the other games that have expansions in that box, and buy the ones that sound interesting. If that turns out to be 3 or 4, the box suddenly becomes much better value!

I bought it originally for Caylus Magna Carta, but quickly got Yspahan as well (still one of my favourite games) and later got Metropolys as well as Sylla. They're all good games IMO, though I actually haven't played Sylla yet (too many games, too little time!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
research the other games that have expansions in that box, and buy the ones that sound interesting.

...that's exactly the danger I must avoid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.