Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revenge of the Dragon lords– a hard solo scenario (can be played 2/3 player co-op)

The dragon lords have taken control of the four capital cities and you need to recapture them saving the kingdom. There are special rules concerning tactic cards, your starting hand, interacting with the locals, movement and the cities.

Basic Rules
Players: 1 (for 2-3 players each individual player must defeat a dragon to access a monastery, fully co-op rules, Tactics cards are split as the players decide and time is reduced to 7 rounds for 3 players and 8 rounds for 2 players in both cases losing the third night round)

Length: 9 Rounds consisting of two day rounds followed by a night round repeated three times

Map Shape: Open map 3 columns (start tile b, 3 wide)

Dummy player – normal rules except where indicated below

Tactic cards
Tactic cards are split into two random piles of three cards each round. The dummy player picks the middle value card from there three. The player sees this card and can then pick one of the other three.

Starting Hand
Before starting the game draw three advanced actions, pick one to add to your hand and place the other two into the dummy player’s hand (for 2 players draw 4 cards, 3 players 5 cards). Add three crystals to the dummy player for each colour of card added, to there hand. If both are the same colour then add six crystals.

Interacting with locals
An assault against a city does not decrease reputation.
No elite units will be in the offering until at least one city is defeated.
You may not interact with a monastery until you have defeated at least one dragon. The first time you visit any monastery after defeating a dragon you gain a free artefact.

Movement
You start each turn with two movement even if you have no cards in hand.

Tiles
All four city tiles and a single none city core tile are chosen at random
Ten countryside tiles are used
These are stacked as two countryside tiles followed by a core tile repeated.
This means a core (brown) tile will be in play from the start of the game, make sure this is the central tile (after this they can be placed anywhere). The first brown tile played must be the none city tile e.g. no city is available at the start of the game.

Cities
Each revealed city becomes progressively more difficult. The city levels are 7, 11, 7 with an extra draconum and 11 with an extra draconum. If a draconum is defeated but the city is not then the draconum is replaced.

My goals in this scenario
• To create a play tested bigger challenge for solo players
• To make passing a location and returning later a viable option as previously it felt like a one way trek
• Making choosing tactics cards is a little more interesting as you can ensure you play first, coupled with the dummy player playing a little faster.
• Creating choices. After gaining a few fame the player is split between aiming to conquer the first city for the elite units or defeating the first dragon for the artefact

For a hard core variation just reduce the number of turns allowed by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are unsure what should be in a city please check out the image linked below.

You should be getting 4-6 monsters in each city. Remember that Draconum's must be replaced if beaten but the city is not taken. Also do not forget the city bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Andrew,

I love the looks of it I've been hoping for scenarios that made the game longer.

How did you do when you play tested? I'll be playing the solo conquest one more time this week then I'll give yours a try.

You've got some interesting things going on here and did not simply just add the other two cities. Sweet!

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt,
I hope you enjoy it, please feed back so I can continue to adjust the difficulty.

My result was success with my final action of round 9 but after this I increased the city levels by 1. But I didn't beat my first city until round 6.

I'd made it up after finding the supplied solo quest a bit easy and over too quickly so feel free to use that as a gauge.

I'd try it again but aim for the hardcore 8 round finish to see if it feels possible.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to give this a try sooner than later, but I just started classes this week.. In the next month I hope!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great scenario! I can't think of anything to add.

Here are the results of my first attempt. I did change the starting crystals on the dummy hand from 6 to 4 for the first play.

I won on turn two of round 7. I found the key was stacking up keeps along the way so that I could have a ton of cards to go after the 3rd and 4th cities. The map worked out well for me in that I had a keep near the cities.

Since this was my first solo game, let me know if I got any of the scoring wrong. Next time, I'll try with 6 starting crystals. That might have put me into round 8 or 9 (but who really knows?).

Final scoring: 389 (I played Norowas & that extra unit sure helps with cities)

Fame: 194
Knowledge: 19
Loot: 9
Leader: 17
Conquering: 8
Adventuring: 4
Beating: 0
Cities: 55 (10x4 + 15)
Unplayed Rounds: 60
Dummy deck: 18 + 5 = 23

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio fabio
Italy
flag msg tools
About the dummy player :

1. Does he begin only with the six cristals you described OR with the six crystals AND the 'usual' three (standard rules) depicted on the dummy hero card (total of nine !)?
2. Do we have to add to the dummy player, every end of round, another crystal and card as usually (we'll have 15 crystals in the last round ..)?

Thx a lot and grats for your good idea to create a new scenario I'd like to see a lot of them !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zauk wrote:
About the dummy player :

1. Does he begin only with the six cristals you described OR with the six crystals AND the 'usual' three (standard rules) depicted on the dummy hero card (total of nine !)?
2. Do we have to add to the dummy player, every end of round, another crystal and card as usually (we'll have 15 crystals in the last round ..)?

Thx a lot and grats for your good idea to create a new scenario I'd like to see a lot of them !!!

Hi Fabio,

1. Yes.
They start with 9 crystals but two extra cards.
This means the dummy player ends the round faster and a bit more randomly. The fact you can choose to go first rather than second suddenly becomes a much more important decision.

2. Yes.
The extra cards for the dummy player and your increased hand size does tend to balance this out.

Also don't forget not only the extra dragon in the last two cities but the city bonuses themselves (top of page 9) e.g. brutal, extra armour, etc.

Have fun

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio fabio
Italy
flag msg tools
I tried the scenario and it is really good!

It allows to increase a lot your deck, wandering a bit forth and back through the realm (thx to the 2 free moves you got every turn). It's possible also to customize the challenge modifying the city levels

Being the game long the player/s are also able to get a lot of cards, so I noticed that toward the end of the game the number of cards available (mainly advanced, but it can depend on the kind of strategies followed) can be really limited. I have a couple of ideas to have more cards.

Could it be an idea to put in the dummy player deck at the beginning two spell cards taken from the interactive spell 17-20 (non used in solo or coop games) instead of the two advanced cards you didn't pick ?
Could it be interesting to let the player choose every round to add the last advanced card OR the last spell to the dummy player hand (OR to add in the first two round the last two interactive spells) ?
Just a couple of ideas / feedback I hope they can be useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great workout. I too have been hoping to see some longer scenarios. The game often ends just as it's getting interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this again I think the rules are ok but I'd put the end at turn 8 not 9 and if you're good aim to finish it at turn 7. This would answer the issues raised by fabio that you can run out of cards.

If I was to create a new scenario it would involve roaming enemy mages but can't think of a good method of making them appear that keeps it random but not too predictable.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hay
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thanks for the scenario. I just finished it early in round 8 playing with Norowas. Looking forward to trying it as a 3 player co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
About to begin your scenario now.

Note: I've only played the walkthrough and 4 solo conquests. I played each of the 4 base heroes and went 3 for 4. Only Goldyx lost, so I decided to use him. Norowas is my dummy player; hoping for some Unit-based skill help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.