Subject: Quarmageddon Diluting the Corrupted Quidity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a concern i had after playing my first few games with Rise of the Demons. even with rise of the demons as your only expansion, you really need to have a couple Corrupted Quiddity cards in order for it to make any difference at all, and a some of the Corrupted cards are useless without other cards to gain corrupted Quidity.

since i see no mention of corrupted Quidity in any of the new cards, let us assume for now that there are no new cards that use them. (which may or may not be true, it could include corrupted versions of all the new creatures just in case you also own rise of the demons) m this only further dulutes the chances of getting the Corrupted cards, and makes it even less likely that cool combos will form.

other than this concern i love Quariors and look forward to many more expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point.

With the base set and the corrupted expansion, my wife and I seldom had any corruption-combos dealt out by the random card draw. This will be even more so if Quarmageddon won't include corrupted cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe Corrupted Quiddity needs to be treated with Alchemy rules where if you use it you also use 2-3 Corrupted cards. Seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems pretty simple to fix. Draw 3 random corrupted cards, then fill out the rest with random cards from the regular deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope Quarmageddon brings corrupted versions of its own new monsters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecil Deveau
United States
Stonington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules actually have three (I think) suggested uses for the corrupted versions. A smidge, a smattering and all out. If you feel like using corruption with quarmageddon I'd recommend carrying that through as well.

(sent from an iPhone, please pardon any typing atrocities... Spelling errors I fully claim however.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but then you have the extra setup step of sorting out the corrupted cards. i really hope that the expansion includes corrupted versions. if you dont own the first expansion those corrupted cards can always be removed.

EDIT: i was just thinking you could always just shuffle everything together and say only corrupted creatures are added to the wilds until 3 corrupted versions are available, then anything else can come out, so not really an extra step just more discarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
but then you have the extra setup step of sorting out the corrupted cards. i really hope that the expansion includes corrupted versions. if you dont own the first expansion those corrupted cards can always be removed.

EDIT: i was just thinking you could always just shuffle everything together and say only corrupted creatures are added to the wilds until 3 corrupted versions are available, then anything else can come out, so not really an extra step just more discarding.

What you recommend would definitely work easily enough. I would add, however (in case anyone hasn't noticed), that the corrupted cards have a green highlight in their backgrounds that the non-corrupted cards don't have. It makes them really easy to separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogue148 wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

What you recommend would definitely work easily enough. I would add, however (in case anyone hasn't noticed), that the corrupted cards have a green highlight in their backgrounds that the non-corrupted cards don't have. It makes them really easy to separate.

true but you have to be careful with the demonic overlord.... his non corrupted versions also have the green highlight. just happened in one of our games actually, we were mid game before we noticed.... although there were 5 corrupted creatures out so we wernt worried.

I have noticed that there are actually only 5 cards that give corrupted quidity. one is corruption incantation that gives one to the caster of the spell, and the corrupted versions of the warrior of the quay, witching hag, questing wizard and quake dragon. when you look at it that way, getting the cards out to gain corruption isnt so easy.

ok unfortunately, i just looked up the components list in the rulebook. they list 26 cards, 18 creature and 8 spell. soooo 3 of each creature, no corrupted version. maybe they can be a BGG promo? hint hint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Camp
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
As more expansions come out (assuming there will be more after Quarmageddon), I can see Rise of the Demons becoming the ugly step-child of the game. I think it would be much more likely for future expansions to simply add more monsters and spells and to completely ignore that Demons ever existed, instead of taking time/energy/resources to make every new product play nice with Demons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niconc2 wrote:
As more expansions come out (assuming there will be more after Quarmageddon), I can see Rise of the Demons becoming the ugly step-child of the game. I think it would be much more likely for future expansions to simply add more monsters and spells and to completely ignore that Demons ever existed, instead of taking time/energy/resources to make every new product play nice with Demons.

This would be a sad state of affairs and is exactly what im worried about. introducing an interesting new mechanic and then not supporting it is just a waste of our time and money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
niconc2 wrote:

This would be a sad state of affairs and is exactly what im worried about. introducing an interesting new mechanic and then not supporting it is just a waste of our time and money.

I like the mechanics of the corrupted dice. To play with them you need to have 3 corrupted monsters and 1 spell at a minimum to make the effects play a part in the game. If the new expansion doesn't support them it kills off the Demons expansion because you will have all of those new dice and monsters, but you would still have to keep 4 Demon spots open cycling through the same old corrupted monsters while the entire rest of the dice set takes up the remaining 5 spots. (I think they added a spot but I'm not sure). You will have to make a choice as to which expansion you will play and with all of the new dice and variety Demons is going to be that ugly step child. Why would you play the limited corrupted dice set over the variety of the 40 new dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:

The problem was including a mechanic that only works if certain combos of cards are in play. Even if they add more cards that use corrupted quiddity, you'll still be stuck needing particular combos to make them work.

If they add more corrupted cards, they are useless to anyone who doesn't have the Demons expansion.

The solution was to have either made every card that uses corrupted quiddity also bring it into play, or to have a standard way of getting corrupted quiddity into play and only use corrupted quiddity when at least one corrupted card is dealt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your last statement. changing the cards now to all add corrupted quid might be too cumbersome but maybe we could house rule some standardized way to bring in corrupted quidity. maybe then you could play with it even if no corrupted cards are delt out.

perhaps anyone can pay 3 quid to add 1 die to anyones used pile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.