Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So looking at the ADB store, there are two miniatures lines.

I already have a space hex mat (4x8 feet worth with 2" hexes), so I was considering grabbing one or two "just because" at some point when making a future order. Is the Starline 2500 line meant to (eventually) replace the 2400s?

At the moment the 2500's aren't exactly flush with choices... but on the other hand, I'd rather not end up with some that I'll want to replace because I can't get the older line anymore...

This is far from a critical issue, as I can't foresee anything other than online being my main avenue for play, but I am a sucker for minis of any sort...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2400 line is the existing ADB line, and they do not plan on retiring it at any point soon. (They have working molds, as long as they sell and make money, they might as well sell them and make money.) It is traditional lead/pewter miniatures, which have slowly been getting better quality.

The 2500 line is brand new from Mongoose, made of vinyl, and in a slightly larger size. I have not seen either in person, but the first look at the 2500s was that they were surprisingly 'flashy'. Mongoose is also redesigning a few ships (with SFU fan feedback, and ADB making sure the firing arcs would still be legal). Some of the Fed stuff seemed a little dubious, the Kzintis look to be spot on, and the new Rom designs look to be a big improvement on the ADB versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. On an unrelated note, basic drones stuff went well enough, on to plasma torpedoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Baker
United States
Waycross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as rules go, your local gamers may find Federation Commander, Call to Arms, or Klingon Armada easier to learn than SFB. The minis are also a great draw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcb19682000 wrote:
As far as rules go, your local gamers may find Federation Commander, Call to Arms, or Klingon Armada easier to learn than SFB. The minis are also a great draw!

Not a lot of local people I think would be interested either way. But there is a glimmer of hope that my better half might play this, and minis would be a good boost to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most thirty-something that can handle movin' and shootin' type games can handle the real thing, but teenagers that are waiting for the Yu-Gi-Oh dudes to show up in an hour or that are otherwise stranded after a tournament will play anything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
... but the first look at the 2500s was that they were surprisingly 'flashy'.

Does that mean they had to be trimmed a lot or that they just looked cool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Trimmed a lot', sadly.

Here's the photo of the new Roms:

If you look closely at the top model especially, you'll see what I mean.

However, they should clean up really nice. The top is a King Eagle, the right is a Snipe (note the difference in the angle of the wings!), the left is a SkyHawk and the bottom is the four pieces of a FireHawk.

Note the redesign on the last:
2500:

2400/traditional ADB:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Baker
United States
Waycross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the update on the 2500's. If I know ADB, I am sure they are on Mongoos's case about the quality issues. And yes, minis are a BIG draw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2500 line has pretty much been changed over to metal, other than large items like DNs, due to the quality problems with the resin. Supposedly they may still try to have resin available for special order, but metal is what is going to be generally available to stores and such. Reports are that the metal ones are just as detailed as the resin (new metal molds from the same detailed masters), but with much better quality overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just looking into this, seeing as I'm interested in buying a space game which plays like a wargame.

would minitatures of A CALL TO ARMS work with this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
I'm just looking into this, seeing as I'm interested in buying a space game which plays like a wargame.

would minitatures of A CALL TO ARMS work with this game?

Yes. You can use the 2400 series or the 2500 series ships. Currently the 2400 series has more ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.