Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell I am not the only one struggling with the rules of this game, and it is truly a shame that the printer is not dropping periodic FAQs to update and inform buyers.

This game has a lot of potential, but if Soda Pop Miniatures does not jump in here sometime and drop some added info concerning its rule book, this game may SADLY never even get one expansion.

Or am I seeing too much into all the questions posters have dropped here on BGG about this game? I know I don't grab rules as fast as others, but this rule book, although pretty, leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyone out there know who we as fans of the game can directly contact to suggest someone get a FAQ out ASAP... or do we all just keep house ruling this sweet looking game, and keep our fingers crossed that somehow it will survive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
volnon wrote:
Anyone out there know who we as fans of the game can directly contact to suggest someone get a FAQ out ASAP... or do we all just keep house ruling this sweet looking game, and keep our fingers crossed that somehow it will survive?

I think I will have put myself in the "it won't survive" camp. Yeah, it's fun, but the lack of support for basic rules clarification is disheartening and leads me to believe the rules weren't play-tested fully. It's been in stores for over six weeks and there's nothing clarified here or on their Facebook page. Yes, I checked there even though I abhor that over using a real web page. I guess we're supposed to look at the minis and say, "well, at least the figures look nice."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
I actually that they're busy focusing on Relic Knights and the expansion for SDE; I personally think they SHOULD take a day off the design team's time and put out an official FAQ, but game companies DO go months without putting out FAQs. How long did it take Privateer Press to put out a FAQ for Warmachine 2.0? 4-5 months?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
iamfanboy wrote:
I actually that they're busy focusing on Relic Knights and the expansion for SDE; I personally think they SHOULD take a day off the design team's time and put out an official FAQ, but game companies DO go months without putting out FAQs. How long did it take Privateer Press to put out a FAQ for Warmachine 2.0? 4-5 months?

Dunno, but I didn't play Warmachine at the time. But I bet they had people answering questions in an official capacity.

It would be nice of they actually chose to answer some of the basic questions, like what is a room. I saw on another post that they took to the time to ask someone not to post the card templates, so it isn't like they aren't paying attention. They just don't seem to care about the rules questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Privateer Press, uh, doesn't. There was an issue with a new warcaster character and her ability where (if it was read one way) let her get a TON of high-powered shots off that would basically end a game (since your goal is to kill the opposing side's warcaster), and if read the other way the bonus shots could only be taken by other parts of her group.

It took 4 months for them to get around to FAQing it, and Privateer runs official tournaments where the people running it gave rulings one way or another - but made it clear that their ruling was not definitive until PP handed the ruling down for sure.

You'd think the internet guys could have just asked the design team, "Hey, how DID you mean it?" but nothing says the internet guys have instant access to the design team - and if the design team isn't immediately familiar with the question it can mean going back through notes taken over months of play to find their intent.

And don't even get me started on the issue of Games Workshop FAQs. Can you believe that the only way that players got clarification on what various base sizes were (What size is a chariot? What base size is a large monster? Etcetera) in Warhammer Fantasy Battle was from the FRIGGING FRENCH FAQ?

About the only gaming company that is anything close to prompt is Wizards of the Coast, and only in relation to Magic the Gathering - and that still takes well over a month, and tournaments are big business for them so having an unbalanced card in tournament play like Skulltap or Tolarian Academy hurts them financially.

(Well, that and it's easier for WotC because broken combos are immediately evident when players find them, and curing them generally involves removing only a single card from play.)

...Man, why am I defending them? I'm annoyed by the FAQ issue too. I just understand that it isn't an immediate "Pull outta yer arse response" thing, because if the internet guys get it wrong then that messes the whole player/company relationship up. Who knows, their internet guys may not even PLAY the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hell, I was annoyed by it that I did a long post below clarifying all their, ah, rules; there are very few ACTUAL issues with the rules, just stuff that needs a bit of editing.

I think I may add a third post to that list, though, clarifying more of the dungeon effects and the boss/miniboss/denizen/etcetera stuff.

Can you believe that my group hadn't been playing with the boss's dungeon effects until like 3 games ago? We just didn't even THINK about it! Now that stuff is important - being able to add an extra red attack, or the spawn points inflicting Fire on any hero that moves next to them... that makes ranged heroes a LOT more important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamfanboy wrote:
Hell, I was annoyed by it that I did a long post below clarifying all their, ah, rules; there are very few ACTUAL issues with the rules, just stuff that needs a bit of editing.

I think I may add a third post to that list, though, clarifying more of the dungeon effects and the boss/miniboss/denizen/etcetera stuff.

Can you believe that my group hadn't been playing with the boss's dungeon effects until like 3 games ago? We just didn't even THINK about it! Now that stuff is important - being able to add an extra red attack, or the spawn points inflicting Fire on any hero that moves next to them... that makes ranged heroes a LOT more important.

Just for us kinda lazy guys, could you put a link to that post where you did some clarifying for SDE? I did find one of them (but not Part One)... Thanks!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/733196/rulebook-clarified-pa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
volnon wrote:
Just for us kinda lazy guys, could you put a link to that post where you did some clarifying for SDE? I did find one of them (but not Part One)... Thanks!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/733196/rulebook-clarified-pa...

Part 1 is the beginning of the thread. He renamed it when he started part two later in the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yeah, i changed the title to reflect an actual update to it; the body of the first post includes all the different parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.