Subject: Boards and Bits Return Policy Update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Thorne

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boards and Bits just updated their return policy. It's at the top of their home page. No link. If you care to look.

This was a sensitive issue a few weeks ago.

I have no issue with the posted policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link in case anyone wants to check it out. Honestly, the only times I've ever had to "return" anything ordered from an OLGS, it's because the game arrived damaged and the store was taking care of everything.

Is this something that comes up often? Is it people changing their minds when a game arrives or spouse aggro or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a good policy overall and I have no issue with it. I can imagine returns, especially on smaller orders really cuts in to a store's profits. People shouldn't be ordering games just to check them out and have the assurance of a return. I did make this mistake once myself though. When I first got into board games a couple years ago, I got carried away and made one large ($500) order with boards and bits. At that same time I had someone commit credit card fraud and had thousands of dollars of purchases on my card. I panicked and ended up returning most of my order, not knowing how easy it would end up being to get the charges off my card. I had to pay return shipping, and ended up having to pay to have some of the games shipped back as a few had sustained some box damage when I shipped them back (I had very little experience shipping items at the time too). I haven't returned a game since then. Overall, It was a good learning experience for me and hopefully this type of policy will help make sure others are responsible in their orders as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems fine as long as I can return for replacement damaged product that wasn't my fault. And seems it covers that.

I've ordered a ton of stuff from them over the years and never returned anything yet. I certainly can't imagine returning something I bought just becuase I changed my mind. I wouldn't order it unless I was sure.

Oh and liked the comment "spouse aggro"!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Here's a link in case anyone wants to check it out. Honestly, the only times I've ever had to "return" anything ordered from an OLGS, it's because the game arrived damaged and the store was taking care of everything.

Is this something that comes up often? Is it people changing their minds when a game arrives or spouse aggro or what?

there was a tiff a while back where someone pre-ordered an item, and wanted to return the item(s) after receiving them. at the time, B&B had a policy of not allowing returns after 30 days from 'purchase' - not receipt of the item. since the item was a pre-order they had received it well after the 30 days. so they couldn't return it.

the new policy seems adequate. I can see some complaints from someone having to receive store credit rather than refund, but that should be a rare occurrence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm dense or something, but that policy has thoroughly confused me. I checked other policies (CSI, MM, Game Surplus), and easily understood those policies. Here's a few issues that are throwing me off about B&B's new policy.

Is the return price really the lesser of 80% or whatever they feel like based on a secret calculation? That sounds sort of like "We'll give you as much store credit as we feel like." This seems out of character for B&B, so I assume I'm reading it wrong somehow.

Why is there a section about giving a gift certificate for orders placed over 30 days ago? Isn't that the same thing as store credit? Talking about order date in a policy based on delivery date only adds confusion anyways, so the whole section seems unnecessary.

The damaged game bit confuses me. Wouldn't a game that's damaged have been damaged in shipping? Or are they really trying to cover someone intentionally ruining a game before returning it or something? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but for now it eludes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Thorne

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a shipping box arrives damaged with damage inside, I would make a claim with the shipper.
Bad packing is another issue.
I have never had an issue with Boards and Bits packing. It's quite excellent.
People need to understand:

Sale Price - Shipping and Handling = Profit (Not a lot after typical percentage discount).
A $100 list game for $65 is not all profit.

Double shipping wipes out most profit. The buyer has to accept some loss for returns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Here's a link in case anyone wants to check it out.

and even easier here it is cut/pasted...
Quote:
Returns

Last update on Jan. 8, 2012

Note: please read carefully and contact us with any questions *before* you place your order.

New, unopened merchandise may be returned as long as we are notified within 7 days of receipt of the item.

All refunds for returns will be in the form of a store credit!

The amount of the refund will be the lesser of 80% of the purchase price, or an amount based on several factors such as total game order size and our actual shipping and packaging costs

Note that in most cases you may be better off selling, trading or gifting the game rather than paying return shipping and fees.

Before you send an item back, please contact us to let us know what to expect. If it has been more than 30 days since you paid for theorder, you will receive credit in the form of a Gift Certificate.

Damaged games may *not* be returned unless they were damaged during shipping. Be sure to contact us before sending anything back to us.

If games are damaged during return shipping, we cannot give any credit, and you will be responsible for return shipping back to you if you want the game. So be sure to pack your returns carefully!

Unless you received the item due to a mistake on our part, you will be responsible for the cost of return shipping.

If the fault was ours, please contact us for options before sending the item back. To serve everyone's best interest we will try to find the most economical solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
Maybe I'm dense or something, but that policy has thoroughly confused me. I checked other policies (CSI, MM, Game Surplus), and easily understood those policies. Here's a few issues that are throwing me off about B&B's new policy.

Sorry for any confusion. I've actually updated a little of the policy, mostly because I left a part that was no longer relevant.

RichardU wrote:
Is the return price really the lesser of 80% or whatever they feel like based on a secret calculation? That sounds sort of like "We'll give you as much store credit as we feel like." This seems out of character for B&B, so I assume I'm reading it wrong somehow.

The reason for this part is that if someone returns the only game they purchased, we will deduct the entire cost of the original shipment and packaging from the return. In other words, we shouldn't have to lose any money on the deal due to the fact that the item was returned.

RichardU wrote:
Why is there a section about giving a gift certificate for orders placed over 30 days ago? Isn't that the same thing as store credit? Talking about order date in a policy based on delivery date only adds confusion anyways, so the whole section seems unnecessary.

This was the part that I removed as it was no longer necessary (as you pointed out).

RichardU wrote:
The damaged game bit confuses me. Wouldn't a game that's damaged have been damaged in shipping? Or are they really trying to cover someone intentionally ruining a game before returning it or something? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but for now it eludes me.

We sell damaged games at a discount. Games that are purchased already damaged may not be returned. I hadn't thought of your example, but I guess that's a possibility (one that I haven't had to deal with in 8+ years).

Thanks,
Tom
Boards & Bits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George J. Wendt
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
This is my dog, Pothier, but everyone calls him Potes.
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I think any policy is only as good as the person handling it and Tom and his whole B&B crew pass this with flying colors. I have had to ask far too many questions and be a pest to them on more than a few occasions and they have always taken the time to listen to any concerns and address them thoroughly. Boards and Bits shows the way a gaming company SHOULD operate and I am glad that he addressed some people's concerns even if I thought those concerns were a little silly then (and still do).

Kudos to Tom and his staff.

My only issue with B&B is that they ship the orders so fast I sometimes don't have the time to tinker with it when the order has been placed.. and also I have no idea what to do with the 10,000,000 packing peanuts that come in every order placed. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normscoffee wrote:
FWIW, I think any policy is only as good as the person handling it and Tom and his whole B&B crew pass this with flying colors. I have had to ask far too many questions and be a pest to them on more than a few occasions and they have always taken the time to listen to any concerns and address them thoroughly. Boards and Bits shows the way a gaming company SHOULD operate and I am glad that he addressed some people's concerns even if I thought those concerns were a little silly then (and still do).

Kudos to Tom and his staff.

My only issue with B&B is that they ship the orders so fast I sometimes don't have the time to tinker with it when the order has been placed.. and also I have no idea what to do with the 10,000,000 packing peanuts that come in every order placed. ninja

Sorry, George, but when your order comes in, day or night, the web site calls Rick's cell and he heads to the warehouse to pack up your order. We don't want to give you any time to change your mind

Oh, and thanks for the kind comments. I've quoted them here so you can't change your mind about those, either! devil

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, I've had few problems with Boards and Bits in 7 or 8 orders.

Actually, the only problem concerned a pre-order.

I placed a small order of games in May or June (probably about $110 or so), but was moving to England for college at the end of summer. The pre-order for Dixit Odyssey kept getting pushed back by Asmodee and it was getting close to the day I had to leave. I went to cancel my order at the end of July, but since I had a preorder of at least 30 days, they wouldn't cancel the order.

From a business perspective, I understand it. They were using space to hold the other items in the order and they may have ordered more based on stock, not taking into account the one I had purchased, since it was de facto not inventory. From a personal perspective, I hoped they'd make an exception and since they hadn't paid anything for shipping, I though it wouldn't be too much of a hassle other than an inconvenience.

I guess it's fair warning for anyone buying something before moving/travelling abroad.

I ended up keeping the order (though I would not have been opposed to having a refund in in-store credit...I would definitely have used it later....maybe that could be a policy when working with cancels due to pushed back pre-orders) and it came two days before I left for Europe. I brought a few games with me from the order (Mr. Jack Pocket, Jambo, Dixit Odyssey), but I did have to leave the other 3 games in my parents basement, in shrink and waiting for when I get back in December of 2013.

I do have to agree that the packaging is superb, the ability to add items to a preorder is great, and service is terrific. The policy seems fair.

I think my biggest problem with Boards and Bits is that they currently have 3 games in stock I really, really, really, really, want. But, I'm in Europe and can't see the purpose of ordering them a year before I can play them, sending them to my parent's house 11 months before I get back - especially when they already think I'm crazy for owning 300 games.

Maybe Tom would agree to keep them if I let him play two of the games (the third I want in pristine condition) and he can ship them used when I return. whistle I'm sure his kids would enjoy Flashpoint Fire Rescue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normscoffee wrote:
I have no idea what to do with the 10,000,000 packing peanuts that come in every order placed.

Put them all in your bathtub and... umm... well you could bag them up and donate them for re-use. Lots of places will take 'em, especially ones that ship stuff out. Just don't put them at the curb, usually local recycle agencies will just toss 'em.

Packing peanuts usually come in giant bags (about 5' tall). I luckily got 3 or 4 once in an order as they were used as packing material. I just keep one in the garage and keep adding to it until it's full then donate it. It's handy when I need some for myself too.

Maybe Tom's warehouse folk might have some kicking around they could toss in your order if you wanted one.

Hey Tom (if you happen to see this), do you think that would be possible? Do you get the packing nuts in those giant bags and if we include a comment asking for one could you toss one in or do you use them for something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dblayton wrote:
Overall, I've had few problems with Boards and Bits in 7 or 8 orders.

Actually, the only problem concerned a pre-order.

I placed a small order of games in May or June (probably about $110 or so), but was moving to England for college at the end of summer. The pre-order for Dixit Odyssey kept getting pushed back by Asmodee and it was getting close to the day I had to leave. I went to cancel my order at the end of July, but since I had a preorder of at least 30 days, they wouldn't cancel the order.

From a business perspective, I understand it. They were using space to hold the other items in the order and they may have ordered more based on stock, not taking into account the one I had purchased, since it was de facto not inventory. From a personal perspective, I hoped they'd make an exception and since they hadn't paid anything for shipping, I though it wouldn't be too much of a hassle other than an inconvenience.

I guess it's fair warning for anyone buying something before moving/travelling abroad.

I ended up keeping the order (though I would not have been opposed to having a refund in in-store credit...I would definitely have used it later....maybe that could be a policy when working with cancels due to pushed back pre-orders) and it came two days before I left for Europe. I brought a few games with me from the order (Mr. Jack Pocket, Jambo, Dixit Odyssey), but I did have to leave the other 3 games in my parents basement, in shrink and waiting for when I get back in December of 2013.

I do have to agree that the packaging is superb, the ability to add items to a preorder is great, and service is terrific. The policy seems fair.

I think my biggest problem with Boards and Bits is that they currently have 3 games in stock I really, really, really, really, want. But, I'm in Europe and can't see the purpose of ordering them a year before I can play them, sending them to my parent's house 11 months before I get back - especially when they already think I'm crazy for owning 300 games.

Maybe Tom would agree to keep them if I let him play two of the games (the third I want in pristine condition) and he can ship them used when I return. whistle I'm sure his kids would enjoy Flashpoint Fire Rescue.

Thanks for understanding. I wish I could afford to let every customer do as they please.

Your offer to play your games while you wait is tempting. I have many games that I only play once or twice, then they gather dust on a shelf (at least I'm the only one with that problem, right?) So knowing that the games I play would end up in a good home would definitely make me feel better!

Of course, there is the fact that I don't live in Toledo, which makes it a bit more difficult.

Tom
Boards & Bits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
Normscoffee wrote:
I have no idea what to do with the 10,000,000 packing peanuts that come in every order placed.

Put them all in your bathtub and... umm... well you could bag them up and donate them for re-use. Lots of places will take 'em, especially ones that ship stuff out. Just don't put them at the curb, usually local recycle agencies will just toss 'em.

Packing peanuts usually come in giant bags (about 5' tall). I luckily got 3 or 4 once in an order as they were used as packing material. I just keep one in the garage and keep adding to it until it's full then donate it. It's handy when I need some for myself too.

Maybe Tom's warehouse folk might have some kicking around they could toss in your order if you wanted one.

Hey Tom (if you happen to see this), do you think that would be possible? Do you get the packing nuts in those giant bags and if we include a comment asking for one could you toss one in or do you use them for something else?

Not a bad idea, and yes, we do. The problem is that for the peanuts we use, the bags are ultra thin and tear if you look at them the wrong way. So I'm not sure how useful they would be.

But if you want one, we can probably send it to you.

Tom
Boards & Bits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:

Your offer to play your games while you wait is tempting. I have many games that I only play once or twice, then they gather dust on a shelf (at least I'm the only one with that problem, right?) So knowing that the games I play would end up in a good home would definitely make me feel better!

Of course, there is the fact that I don't live in Toledo, which makes it a bit more difficult.

It's too bad you don't live in Toledo. You probably would have enjoyed Castles of Burgundy, Flashpoint Fire Rescue and the new Ticket to Ride maps for a year. Ah, well. You're out of the new Ticket to Ride team map anyway. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
RichardU wrote:

The reason for this part is that if someone returns the only game they purchased, we will deduct the entire cost of the original shipment and packaging from the return. In other words, we shouldn't have to lose any money on the deal due to the fact that the item was returned.

I think that part could definitely use clarification since it definitely sounds kind of crooked when you read it without the extra explanation.

BoardsAndBits wrote:
RichardU wrote:

We sell damaged games at a discount. Games that are purchased already damaged may not be returned. I hadn't thought of your example, but I guess that's a possibility (one that I haven't had to deal with in 8+ years).

That makes sense, and I definitely missed the obvious. I've even bought a ding/dent copy from you before, and somehow didn't think about it.

Thanks for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:
RichardU wrote:

I think that part could definitely use clarification since it definitely sounds kind of crooked when you read it without the extra explanation.

I'll think about it and see what I can come up with.

RichardU wrote:
Thanks for the response.

You bet

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't for the life of me why someone would change their mind after ordering a game. gulp

Good policy - and fair. These folks know how to run a business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I can't for the life of me why someone would change their mind after ordering a game. gulp

Good policy - and fair. These folks know how to run a business.

But I've heard that it's still a bit confusing, so it'll probably get another makeover sometime this week shake

Tom
Boards & Bits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.