Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you need to construct routes in order from origin to destination? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil R
msg tools
We've just opened up TtR and love it, but have a question: does a player need to build a route by segments in order, from origin to destination? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
prodgers1 wrote:
We've just opened up TtR and love it, but have a question: does a player need to build a route by segments in order, from origin to destination? Thanks!

No, segments can be built in any order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Spieles
United States
Vandalia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. In fact, you can build routes anywhere on the board. The destination tickets don't have anything to do with where you can build. You could build a route simply to block someone who is working on an obvious destination, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just build a random route just to score points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Broox wrote:
prodgers1 wrote:

No, segments can be built in any order.

More than just "it's not required", there are good reasons NOT to.

- not reveal my route, so opponents guess and block me

- be first to take an overlapping segment that another player might need

- just plain impractical that the correct colors come to my hand in that order

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, once you gain some experience and really learn what you're doing, you might want to think about deception, i.e throwing down some routes to draw attention from where you're really going. And, of course, blocking. If someone leaves an obvious gap in their route, don't hesitate to jump on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celebros wrote:
No. In fact, you can build routes anywhere on the board. The destination tickets don't have anything to do with where you can build. You could build a route simply to block someone who is working on an obvious destination, for instance.

Blocking? That is so scandalous and mean spirited...bite your tongue!

The Railroad Police will get you! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Seaborne
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group of friends we've played 40 or 50 games and blocking other routes has hardly ever occurred. We all seem to feel a great imperative to be constructive and complete our destination tickets, and rarely play to obstruct opponents.
To be honest, I feel we're probably being a bit naieve, despite the many times we've played. I personally see no problem with obstructing an opponent. In fact, some time ago, I was in a 2 player game and building the 1 train route from Vancouver to Seattle on the penultimate turn cost my opponent over 50 points in lost tickets. A rare, but very sweet, tactical move on my part!
To reply to the original poster, though, you don't have to build in any order at all. Given the difficulty in getting the right colour ticket just when you need it, you often have to be very opportunistic and definitely be prepared to alter planned routes to react to changing circumstances.
In short, build wherever and whenever it helps to win the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natanya_uk wrote:
In fact, some time ago, I was in a 2 player game and building the 1 train route from Vancouver to Seattle on the penultimate turn cost my opponent over 50 points in lost tickets. A rare, but very sweet, tactical move on my part!

With my friends and family, in a 2 or 3 player game, you'll never get both Portland-Seattle and Seattle-Vancouver. As soon as you take one, someone else is going to decide it's worth one train and one turn just in case. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.