Subject: Are dice types copyrighted? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you make a game with any dice type, like d20? Other "sided" dice types?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
Can you make a game with any dice type, like d20? Other "sided" dice types?

Yes. You will not be able to copy graphics on 'special' dice, but if all you want are generic D20s, etc., then there will be no problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to bone up on what copyright even is. Copyright covers the manner of expression of ideas, not the design of useful objects (which would be a matter for patents).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, there is a patent on some varieties of "pencil" dice: the ones that look like cylinders with facets to the midway point from each end. Unfortunately I don't remember the companies involved, and a quick Google search didn't turn anything up. (Well, a 5-sided die patent also exists, but I didn't find the reference I was looking for.)

If you're just using the standard platonic solids, I think you're on pretty solid ground. If nothing else, those have been in production for over 25 years, and any patents should have expired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bwian wrote:
I don't remember the companies involved

Sounds like Crystal Caste v. Hasbro. A version of Monopoly used the elongated rolling logs.

IANAL, but I think patents are the question, not copyright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The various die date back to ancient times. d4s, D6s, d20s, d10s I've seen in museums. Probably d8s and eventually d12s once you got out from under the Pythagorean secrecy over these shapes.

These are all open to anyone.

Its when you start using weird shapes like the elongated crystal dice, or special engraved dice, or custom sided die like Dragon Dice that you cant copy these patterns used on the dice.

I believe the crystal dice and that odd d100 in a sphere are patented. But not positive on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You may find this page on dicecollector.com useful in determining if the dice shape you want is patented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.