Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played another 3 player session and have just about written this game off - everyone agrees there is potentially a good game here but just not enough of a game at this time.

The game is a good take on deck building with direct player conflict. The combat system, although a simple rock-paper-scissors mechanic works well and allows for some good agression and bluffing, play time is ok and the components are fine.

But it is just not nearly enough to make the game a long term proposition. Our issues are that you do not have enough cards in hand and there are no tactics to power up the combat system which becomes quite repetative and a little boring after a short while. This game needs a bigger card poole including:

More base units for each nation and increase the number of cards in hand to at least offer a bit more ability to sustain a combat and maybe come back from an initial set-back.

Some "tactics" cards to buy in addition to the creatures - for example: "Darken the sky" (I know, plagerism - so sue me) to increase the effectiveness of my missile attacks, "Blood lust" (my, I am on a roll!) to increase a spear or sword attack, "Shield Wall" to increase a units defence. And, how about cards that remain in-play such as "Barrackade" which adds to defence but would prevent any counter attack unless the card were abandoned. Tactics cards could be available to buy and would make an already in-play card more effective which could be very useful depending on the match-up that had been played. If you start adding magical factors (which fit in with the mythical creatures so not entirely out of theme) then all sorts of possibilities arise.

These ideas are just "thinking out loud" and we have not tested them in any way - I want to play games and leave the designing to those that know better - but it seems to me that there is a great potential here that is just not being realised at this time.

So - are there any plans for this game or is this it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gary!

Good post! Yes, there is something planned for this year (Essen), but it will need a bit time and thinking.
One thing that won't change: more than 3 cards in your hand. I tried things with this, but the downtime was higher (more needless thinking).

Greetings
Bernd

www.irongames.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bernd - will put the game in the hold pile and await developments - I vote for 4 cards at least - the Persians are easy to play with 4 cards at the moment so give everyone 4 starting cards and the Persiians get 5 - easy! - well anyway, I think it would be good as the 3 cards currently are very limiting it seems to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.