Eric Nichols
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
So much GG, so little options.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I have a Hilinski board with convex and concave discs. My reason for this thread is to speed up the game and save my board. Whenever I introduce people to the game I explain to them the difference between the different sides of the discs. This is where the problem begins. They now spend 5 seconds before every shot finding out which side is which. What I am wondering is if anyone has ever marked the discs so they know which is which. To me is seems to me like you could mark, either scratch or ink, the center of the concave side without it causing any change to the disc. Any ideas on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a set of convex/concave discs that came with my Hilinski board. However I couldn't really tell the difference between the sides.

In the end I sanded down the convex side with 600 grit sandpaper to make them mega slick and now its obvious which side is which.

Maybe that would work for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I did. I put a small black dot on the side that is convex. Works great (except for on black discs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Convex/concave thing is discussed in great detail at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/524649/crokinole-for-us-...

The 3-time world champion Brian Cook said of the Convex/Concave vs. flat discs:

Brian Cook:
Lee, surprising to hear Willard say that his discs are flat because I've seen many players at the WCC spin their discs before a shot to determine which side is concave vs convex. Perhaps he intends to make them flat but there ends up still being some variation on each side. Note also that Willard is not a competitive player himself so perhaps his interpretation of C/C vs flat is different from ours. The bottom line is that the WCC Committee has never set a standard for flat vs C/C discs. We just get the best quality we can and no one up til now has requested one or the other. Personally, I've won the WCC adult singles 3 times and it's not something I ever concern myself with, i.e. whether I'm shooting with flat, convex or concave side down. I just make sure the disc is smooth in surface, especially for open 20 shots.

Funny that the WCC Committee and their champion sees it as a non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought it took about one second to figure out. If it spins, it's on the convex side and if it doesn't it's on the concave side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If players are taking forever to spin their discs, tell them to spin before their turn on the table and not on the board.

If a player is OCD enough, they will spin all their discs ahead of time and have them all convex or concave side up. It wouldn't surprise me if a microbadge becomes available for this sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
I always thought it took about one second to figure out. If it spins, it's on the convex side and if it doesn't it's on the concave side.

It should, but the red hillinski discs that I got did not have a noticable convex/concave aspect to them.

They do now after sanding them, but that was not the case when I recieved my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.