Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the first to admit the flaws of the New York Football Giants. The only reason they're in the playoffs is the extreme weakness of the NFC East. However, they did get in and, based on how the season ended and how they played today in dispatching the Atlanta Falcons in surprisingly easy fashion, they could be dangerous. The fact that they actually appear to have a running game astonishes me--and delights me!

Green Bay is a fabulous team and remains the odds-on favorites to win the Super Bowl. Both New Orleans and San Francisco remain genuine threats to their dream of repeating. But I have to feel that, in some small way, the last team they want to face right now are the Giants. Not because New York is a great team, but because they barely beat the Giants when the Pack was healthier than they are now and NY was more banged up, and because of the run that the Giants are on now. It'll be played in Green Bay, which will help the Pack a lot, and I still expect Aaron Rodgers to lead his team to victory. But the Giants actually have a puncher's chance and I didn't think there was a chance I'd be saying that a month ago.

SO GO GEEEEEEEEE-MEN!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
It's Prime Day! Tons of alright games at ok prices! /sarcasm
mbmbmb
The Giants, while an enigma every regular season, are always scary in the post season. The year they won it all (most recently) they crawled into the post season. So watch out Green Bay you never know.

This was hard to say being a Broncos fan from conception. I hate that Mark Bavaro. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
I am the first to admit the flaws of the New York Football Giants. The only reason they're in the playoffs is the extreme weakness of the NFC East. However, they did get in and, based on how the season ended and how they played today in dispatching the Atlanta Falcons in surprisingly easy fashion, they could be dangerous. The fact that they actually appear to have a running game astonishes me--and delights me!

Green Bay is a fabulous team and remains the odds-on favorites to win the Super Bowl. Both New Orleans and San Francisco remain genuine threats to their dream of repeating. But I have to feel that, in some small way, the last team they want to face right now are the Giants. Not because New York is a great team, but because they barely beat the Giants when the Pack was healthier than they are now and NY was more banged up, and because of the run that the Giants are on now. It'll be played in Green Bay, which will help the Pack a lot, and I still expect Aaron Rodgers to lead his team to victory. But the Giants actually have a puncher's chance and I didn't think there was a chance I'd be saying that a month ago.

SO GO GEEEEEEEEE-MEN!!!!!

Ya, the Giants are reminding me a lot of last years Packers and the same Giants that took out the undefeated Patriots. Luckily, I guarantee everyone in Green Bay is thinking the exact same thing so at the very least they won't catch us off guard.

Should be a hell of game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogsponge wrote:

Ya, the Giants are reminding me a lot of last years Packers and the same Giants that took out the undefeated Patriots. Luckily, I guarantee everyone in Green Bay is thinking the exact same thing so at the very least they won't catch us off guard.

I heard that comparison tonight after the broadcast locally. A local sports guy said that they look a lot like last years Packers as far as their position goes.

I did a spit-take. gulp

No, I don't think they're anything like last years Packers. That team was the second-youngest in the NFL and had a quarterback who made virtually no mistakes. Their team was without 15 starters, but their depth was so impressive and their young players stepped up and they found a way to win all of their games on the road on the way to the Superbowl victory. What they did was something no team had done that was that young and that beat-up.

This Giants team looks like every 'enigmatic' (great word choice) Giants team. Yeah, in 2008 they beat Green Bay and went on to beat the undefeated Patriots. THAT was an impressive feat, and was something I don't see ANY team repeating. I mean, for one, there is no Brent Farse involved--a player who completely checked out in the third biggest game of his career (in the NFC championship game). Packer fans, and most importantly, the players (many from that team are still playing) still recall the bitter disappointment of losing that contest.

I was with some diehard Packer fans in Madison, WI and their three kids ages 5, 7, and 10 all had major breakdowns after the game: the youngest went to the kitchen table and pushed some cheerios around in a bowl of milk, staring into the bowl like a mental patient; the next oldest boy went to his room crying aloud and breaking apart his lego creations slowly; and the oldest, their daughter, curled herself up in a fetal position on her bed and cried alligator tears. I tell you this to say that the 2008 loss was the most devastating one of my Packer lifetime. It was far more horrible than the Superbowl loss to Denver.

For the players it was much the same. Here's a tweet from Greg Jennings last night:

GregJennings Greg Jennings

The team that kept us from our potential Super Bowl in 08 is back on OUR turf now.Trust me,we haven't forgotten.Here.We...GoPackGo!
14 hours ago

AND

Crazy start 2 the playoffs already.Every team seems 2 have a #Great story to tell.But 1 team will show what the "G" stands 4. #BeGreat ...RT
10 hours ago

Anyway, I look forward to the shot at redemption on Sunday. So do they. The point is that this Giants team is NOT the 2010 Packers. They're playing that team now. We're still that team until someone beats us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Ogsponge wrote:

I heard that comparison tonight after the broadcast locally. A local sports guy said that they look a lot like last years Packers as far as their position goes.

I did a spit-take. gulp

No, I don't think they're anything like last years Packers. That team was the second-youngest in the NFL and had a quarterback who made virtually no mistakes. Their team was without 15 starters, but their depth was so impressive and their young players stepped up and they found a way to win all of their games on the road on the way to the Superbowl victory. What they did was something no team had done that was that young and that beat-up.

This Giants team looks like every 'enigmatic' (great word choice) Giants team. Yeah, in 2008 they beat Green Bay and went on to beat the undefeated Patriots. THAT was an impressive feat, and was something I don't see ANY team repeating. I mean, for one, there is no Brent Farse involved--a player who completely checked out in the third biggest game of his career (in the NFC championship game). Packer fans, and most importantly, the players (many from that team are still playing) still recall the bitter disappointment of losing that contest.

I was with some diehard Packer fans in Madison, WI and their three kids ages 5, 7, and 10 all had major breakdowns after the game: the youngest went to the kitchen table and pushed some cheerios around in a bowl of milk, staring into the bowl like a mental patient; the next oldest boy went to his room crying aloud and breaking apart his lego creations slowly; and the oldest, their daughter, curled herself up in a fetal position on her bed and cried alligator tears. I tell you this to say that the 2008 loss was the most devastating one of my Packer lifetime. It was far more horrible than the Superbowl loss to Denver.

For the players it was much the same. Here's a tweet from Greg Jennings last night:

GregJennings Greg Jennings

The team that kept us from our potential Super Bowl in 08 is back on OUR turf now.Trust me,we haven't forgotten.Here.We...GoPackGo!
14 hours ago

AND

Crazy start 2 the playoffs already.Every team seems 2 have a #Great story to tell.But 1 team will show what the "G" stands 4. #BeGreat ...RT
10 hours ago

Anyway, I look forward to the shot at redemption on Sunday. So do they. The point is that this Giants team is NOT the 2010 Packers. They're playing that team now. We're still that team until someone beats us.

Heh, I am die hard Packer fan and I am sorry but if you can not see the comparisons between this years Giants and last years Packers, then I humbly believe you are just blindly following the Packers. Note, I never said they were exactly alike, but they are doing the exact peaking at the right time like the Packers did last year. And while they have not had the same amount of injuries, they have had key injuries of their own to deal with this year.

And I will close with this, I do blame Favre for a lot of the loss in that game but I cannot believe how quickly so called Packer forget the real truth of the matter. How about a running game that completely disappeared and tallied 28 rushing yards? How about a defense that that could not cover Plaxico Burress to save their lives? How about a defense that gave up 130 some yards rushing and 250 passing in the worse conditions imaginable for a game? How about a young Tramon Williams on special teams attempting to pick up a muffed punt with the ball bouncing and sliding in every way imaginable on those same field conditions instead of just jumping on it?

I sat in the stadium for every single minute of that game and remember every single moment of that game Brett Favre did not cost us that game, our entire teams cost us that game, Brett just put the final nail in the coffin. I think Packer fans need to get over blaming and hating Favre and be eternally grateful that going back to 1993 this team has been legitimately competitive every year except for one. There are not many teams that have been able to go into the season for 20 straight years knowing they had a real shot at the playoffs, and with any luck, we can look forward to it for another 10 years as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.