Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Caylus» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Play to win? OR rather Play to not win (Session Review + Rules clarification) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Huck
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi All:

A bit of long read, so bear with me:

So far we have played the game for about 5 times and given my group is usually large, we have to go to with either 4-5 players option.

For me, I tends to have a bittersweet experience with the game.
I like how easy the game is to setup and how the scoring is easy; though a lot of us find the game to be highly confrontational.

For the 3/5 games we played, I have seen the following scenario:
1) we have experienced players who makes move that are completely illogical and would not benefit them; they then decide to control merchant's guild and control the speed of the game and shafting people for no reason. (basically know that they decided they are not going to win, so they decided to just sabotage the game)

2) players who decided to move the provost to the spot of player A, which does not yield any benefit to the speed of the bailiff / them self
(ie: provost stands on spot 1, which does not yield 2 clothes for player A, player B decided to spend 1 more dollar and move provost to spot +1 and give A the 2 clothes; while +1 does not yield anything to B)

As these 2 scenarios can happen from time to time, sometime I realize how some of us falls to the victim and ended up losing the game for stupid reason, all just because people decided to fool around.

Is there anyway to avoid this?

(For Rules):
There are few I just wanted to clarify
a) By gaining royal favor during the scoring phrase, can the player move the same track again?
(ie: I built the most castle space on that round and move prestige point, because it is also the castle wall scoring phrase and I have 2 building in there, can I move my prestige point plus one other, OR do I have to move rows other than prestige point).

b) You can replace residential building on public building (pink) OR any building built by yourself correct?

c) Not so much for rules, but out of all the game we played, we have rarely seen any prestige building (blue), ranging from a 3 - 5 players game, none was built AND our score remains anything less than 50s, is that even normal? Sometime I ponder if we are not doing anything correctly?

Many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Huckebein wrote:
As these 2 scenarios can happen from time to time, sometime I realize how some of us falls to the victim and ended up losing the game for stupid reason, all just because people decided to fool around.

Is there anyway to avoid this?

Play with people who are trying to win instead of just fool around. Any interactive multiplayer game will be affected if some players just want to fool around and randomly help or hurt other players, instead of trying to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing with A-holes. Avoid playing with A-holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huckebein wrote:
people decided to fool around.

Why would you play with people who just "fool around"? Choose more grown up opponents.
Huckebein wrote:

a) By gaining royal favor during the scoring phrase, can the player move the same track again?
(ie: I built the most castle space on that round and move prestige point, because it is also the castle wall scoring phrase and I have 2 building in there, can I move my prestige point plus one other, OR do I have to move rows other than prestige point).

You can only move on a particular track once per phase so be sure you know what the phases are. There is no such thing as a "scoring phase" in my rule book. I THINK your example is referring to the 2 phases - phase 6 - the castle building phase, and phase 7 the end of turn phase, so you would be allowed to use the same track, once in phase 6 and once in phase 7.
Huckebein wrote:

b) You can replace residential building on public building (pink) OR any building built by yourself correct?

You can place residential buildings on any pink building or any of your own buildings except, prestige buildings or the lawyer. You can't place them on residential buildings either but that would be just fooling around anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huck
Canada
flag msg tools
Seghillian wrote:

You can place residential buildings on any pink building or any of your own buildings except, prestige buildings or the lawyer. You can't place them on residential buildings either but that would be just fooling around anyway!

Thanks for the response guys.

Yeah.. I realize my group might not be the best group to play board game with - shake

Seghillian, can you explain what you mean by - you can't place them on residential building either because that would just be fooling around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huckebein wrote:
Seghillian wrote:

Thanks for the response guys.

Yeah.. I realize my group might not be the best group to play board game with - shake

Seghillian, can you explain what you mean by - you can't place them on residential building either because that would just be fooling around?

If you buy a residential building and place on top of one of your residential buildings, you're just wasting cloth (and maybe a coin) for nothing. I suppose you might want that option if you don't control any buildings and there are no pink buildings left, but if you're in that situation, you've made some bad decisions. Either way, it's not legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huck
Canada
flag msg tools
Ah, got it!

Thanks Chris.

Usually what are the scores you guys see in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.