Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
As many of you know, I frequently game with my wife and children and write about it on my BGG blog: Welborn Family Gaming. My son is 10 years old and my daughter is 8. (although as she continually points out, she will be 9 in less than a month.) Both kids have been playing with us since a young age.

I introduced Can't Stop to my daughter during our December Gaming Challenge (See Blog) and she fell in love with the game. She has also become quite good at it, winning far more than her share. This is in sharp contrast to me, who enjoys the game but seldom wins.

Tonight, before the kids' bedtime, we had a 3 player game.

Early in the game, my daughter was having trouble, as she was making little to no progress. Soon, I had closed out the 12 column. My son followed with the 5. Daughter finally got going and knocked out the 10.

A few turns later and I completed the 7 column and was two 6s away from winning.

My son told my daughter, "We have both got to go after the 6s or Dad wins." She agreed, even though she was 9 away from closing out the 6 column.

Her initial roll got her a 6 and an 11. She needed 3 more 11s to close it out. She added a second roll of 6 & 11. She then got an 8 for her third number, which gave her a good spread.

She kept rolling and rolling and rolling. She was slowly advancing all three columns. Finally, she rolled her fourth 11 and closed out her second column. She was still three 6s away. She asked what would happen if she only rolled an 11. That would be a bad roll, I told her and she would lose that column. She debated what to do for about a minute than kept rolling.

She got a 6. Now she was tied with me. She then got an 8 and another 8. She rolled again and got a 6. She was one away but if she missed the roll she would lose everything.

This gave her the giggles and she laughed hysterically for a while. When she calmed down she got ready to roll. "Come on, get it", I thought.

She rolled and . . . got an 8.

She rolled again . . . and got a 6. She closed out 2 columns and won the game.

I don't know the odds she was facing but she rolled about 20 times total during that final turn.

What a great win for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Take that kid to Vegas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good times! I thought of my son when I read the title of this post. He can't stop...seriously. He NEVER stops. It's comical. Even when we tell him to and it makes little sense for him to keep going...he just can't stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really enjoy watching brave players who are blissfully unaware of the odds against them. I watched a rank newbie establish runners on 4, 5 and 10, and toss away until he's captured the 4, while the rest of us looked on in astonishment.

Once she'd established 6, 8 and 11, your daughter's chance for a successful roll is about 88%—pretty good. Her chance of rolling ten times in a row without "crapping out" is about 29%. So, while it was a bold move, she was not bucking astronomical odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.