Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Three turn ancient one awakening with seven people, any ideas?(Innsmouth) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so you are playing Innsmouth horror expansion with seven people (or basically any number greater than 5) and no other expansions. You draw Y'hanthlie, devil reef, and the devil reef again, this time with an all monsters move. You were lucky enough to have silas marsh, so he jumps into devil reef (as you have to go there before Y'hanthlie) on the first turn. But if you draw these three cards in this order without any flying monsters the ancient one will awaken via the deep one rising track, every time, and there is nothing you can do about it. The problem is even worse if you dont have silas marsh. Right?

(this happened last night and i keep thinking their has to be some way to have avoided that)...any ideas??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that combination of cards with that amount of people is pretty much going to shaft you. However if Silas moved to Devil Reef immediately most monsters aren't going to move beyond Devil Reef into the vortex as long as Silas is there. So after the gate openings and then the massive monster surge Silas would have a chance for an epic and likely suicidal defense of the vortex. But yeah, it is awful when you draw those gates right off the bat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
You die.

It's what Lovecraft would have wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya i figured as much. ALso note that the gate on devil dropped on silas so i was no longer there to even attempt suicide heroics but ya, dead anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my biggest problem with Innsmouth. I really wish the Deep One Rising mechanic was just that: the Deep Ones rose, overran Innsmouth, and magnified the chances of getting a doom token or terror increase. Like, each Deep One drawn from the cup adds a doom token and each Rising token that would be added when the track is already filled adds two doom tokens. Something like that.

If you have Dagon as your herald, the kind of game over you experienced can occur before the first upkeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not even thought of that. Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stationary monsters are a 'godsend' at Devi Reef...

Chances are some of these monsters will be aquatic, so you can lure them away by going to River Docks, Unvisited Isle, or any other aquatic location- as I understand the rules they'll move to the Investigator's location instead of into the Vortex.

If you have 6 starting Clues between all the players, you can converge on Innsmouth ASAP to try and fill the Feds Raid track...by turn 3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has just four Investigators, and we have never managed to lose before turn four.

At least the board is already set up, so you can get in an extra game that night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
My group has just four Investigators, and we have never managed to lose before turn four.

At least the board is already set up, so you can get in an extra game that night.
It's a specific problem for large teams of Investigators. The Gate Limit gets reduced so that even just playing the Base game you can lose on Mythos of turn 2 with some bad luck (usually two Encounters of the "a Gate and a Monster appear!", you have increased chances of these occuring when you have more Investigators). It's for this reason that I always have somebody jump through a Gate on turn 1 in a 7-Investigator game. I'm prepared to wait until turn 2 in a 5-Investigator game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.