Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Squires
United States
Capron
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New rules of Ceberus aren't clear.

1. Look at the battlefield from above, as if it were only two dimensions. Attempt to trace
an imaginary line from the dot in the activated unit’s space to the dot in the target
unit’s space, just as described in the Revised Core Set. If line of sight would be clear
in 2D, without thinking about height, then line of site is clear in 3D. If line of sight
would not be clear, continue to step 2

2. If the unit on the lower level is directly behind the object that would block 2D line
of sight, then line of sight is blocked in 3D, no matter how high up the other unit is.
However, if the unit on the lower level is not directly behind the obstacle that would
block 2D line of sight, then line of sight is clear between the unit on the lower level
and the unit on the higher level.

Is this LOS?

What about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
The ruling seems clear to me in this particular case. If you check the first example on pg16 in Cerberus rulebook, it shows, that if a unit in a building isn't on an entrance space, it doesn't have LOS from the building, therefore can't target to and cannot be targeted from outside. Height in this case is irrelevant because of this 'no shooting through the building' rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junlins caanil
Philippines
flag msg tools
mb
there is no LOS in both cases. The second floor blocks the LOS in both example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
junlins wrote:
there is no LOS in both cases. The second floor blocks the LOS in both example.

The LOS with the 3D building in Dust Tactics isn't traced with an inivisible line like many miniature games however.

The rule is that only units near an entrance can shoot outside, or be shot from outside.

What's confusing here is that the unit is on the roof. Areas around the roof are all "special" in that all areas can consider themselves near an entrance from all directions (that's not from within another roof space), although entrances which provide less cover and through which you cannot actually "enter".
The ruling for roofs have no exceptions specified regarding the LOS which cannot go beyond the first square in a building when shooting in or out of that building. Therefore, a unit on the roof should follow the same ruling.

In both examples, the unit in the building is further than "near the entrance from which fire is coming in", the LOS is therefore blocked.

In other words, the first rule is to check if, in a 2D building, the LOS is ok. Putting that roof in 2D and putting it on the ground floor, using the 2D building rules, the LOS is blocked. If it is blocked in 2D, it will be blocked in 3D and there's not even a need to check for elevation differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought there were no roofs in Cerebus... I think I read on another post that they were considered slippery and unmanagable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are roofs, but they are not safe for a rocket trooper to land on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocky123 wrote:
I thought there were no roofs in Cerebus... I think I read on another post that they were considered slippery and unmanagable...

As said, there are roofs.

This is my main problem with Cerberus. Jump troopers can jump "over" a building, but they cannot land on it's roof because the roofs are, as you said, slippery and not strong enough.
They can jump over three stories high building, but not over the flat 2D terrain?
Why can't they jump "out" of a building from the roof after climbing there using the stairs? (or can they? now that i think about it, i don't seem to recall a rule regarding this, meaning i may just be assuming they can't).

The reason is probably in the scenarios, where jump troopers would imbalance the scenarios severely if the jump troopers could do so. Most objectives would become way too easy.

I would've prefered if the buildings simply had no roof (or explain they have triangular shaped ones with no access) than to present these illogical elements in the ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.