Subject: What do you usually propose when you trade? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a match, what is customary in the proposal? Do you just offer shipping? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
In general you offer something so that it is a fair deal for both people.

Games that cost less than about 30 bucks to buy almost never get traded because the cost to ship that game across or out of the country is large, so offering these unless you are willing to pay shipping both ways usually doesnt work.

If both games have about the same cost, and its higher than shipping, then usually you just send a straight up trade offer, game for game.

Its also important to note that when i say cost, i mean what are people actually paying for the game in its current condition on this website, not the MSRP. The best way to figure this out is to go the marketplace listing for the game you are trying to trade, and check the market info. For example conan the barbarian:the board game and mansions of madness have the same MSRP. No one is buying conan, so trading it away for mansions is almost never going to happen. (side note: if anyone would like to trade conan for mansions please message me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game that sells for about $32, but the game I want sells for about $18-$25. So I what could I offer? The trade search says they want my game but it's out of state shipping.

edit: most sellers have the game I want for $25. Only one seller has it for $18.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically, you'll offer to ship your game to the other person, and he or she will ship his game to you. Each of you pays shipping for the game you send out.

Of course, you could work out any other arrangement you'd like. That's the typical arrangement, which is usually assumed unless stated otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends. Most have the game for $25, but one seller has it for $18. The game I am thinking of trading for is Thunderstone. Mine is Dungeon Run. I haven't decide for sure yet though. Just looking around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest doing a postal search and figure out how much shipping costs both ways. I cant imagine out of state shipping on any two board games is going to be much less than twenty bucks (although i am canadian and mail is expensive up here) and if you just buy the game you will probably end up with it sooner. Also if your going to trade your probably going to end up with a used game, so check the marketplace and see how much people are selling their copies for. It might be cheaper on a twenty dollar game to just buy it and pay for shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
I have a game that sells for about $32, but the game I want sells for about $18-$20. So I what could I offer? The trade search says they want my game but it's out of state shipping.

If you're not going to play the $32 game, it might be worth it to you to "trade down" to a $20 game that you might enjoy. You could certainly offer that trade. Be warned that, as Hogan mentioned, you might be spending almost as much to ship as the game would cost you new. I'd expect in the $12-15 range.

You could offer a multi-game deal if you'd like. Take a peek through the user's "for trade" list. If they've got more stuff you'd like, let them know. You can just geekmail back and forth a bit to see if they can find a few things you have for trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true it is alot about how much you want to play/own the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.