Subject: Games on a plane rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aric D
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are starting to plan a trip overseas where we will be stuck on a plane for a full day of travel. What are some good travel games for those long flights?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides Travel Scrabble, the game I've played most on planes is: Ingenious: Travel Edition. It's a great 2-player 30-minute version of the game that offers some strategic gameplay in a small package.

Mr. Jack Pocket would also be a decent option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nichols
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
So much GG, so little options.....
mbmbmbmbmb
We always take Five Crowns with us on plane. I would also recommend Cribbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus Duo is an excellent travelling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Few games work well on a tray table in cramped conditions. As such, I've kind of had it with these motherfucking games on this motherfucking plane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAIJI and most other games from nestorgames too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric D
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was going to call this thread but didn't want to offend people or break forum rules that I haven't read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games you already own = the regular card deck games of Gin Rummy and German Whist. Both have small footprints.

Among commercial card games, I think Biblios has a small enough footprint that it could be played on an airplane tray. Mamma Mia! too (it's better with three or more players but we still enjoy it with two).

Hive will be available in a "pocket" form (i.e. Hive Pocket) starting in mid-March. That'd probably fit on a tray. Great game, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Damix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had it with these monkey fighting games on this Monday to Friday plane!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hisss
Chutes and Ladders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who thought for a moment that this was some kind of sequel to Snakes on a Plane? :D

Edit: Ok, might I offer some advice- if you have an iOS device (particularly an ipad) you can bring some larger games you wouldn't normally be able to play on a plane.

Games that come to mind are Acension:Chronicles of the Godslayer, Elder Sign:Omens, Carcassone, Puerto Rico, Catan, Small World, Blokus, Ticket to Ride, and Ghost Stories.. All are excellent versions of the original board game and lend themselves nicely to the iPad. So it saves on space, as well as comes with the added bonus of being able to have travel apps on hand as well.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On our last plane ride, we played Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Frey
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think card games are a good idea.
I´d suggest Zauberschwert & Drachenei and Fairy Tale.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age fits on the small tables too.
But rolling the dice might offend some of the other passangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I´ve have played Jaipur, Parade, Famiglia with sucess. You have to be careful as you have the minimum space to play (two small trays). But I would think card games like the ones we mention are the best option or the travel editions of games like ingenious and blokus.

I just bought a decktet also which plan on playing on our plane trip to our honeymoon on June! (You can play many games with the decktet). Also just bought fzzzzt, lords of scotland, r-eco which I think will also work.

If it is really a long trip I would suggest several card games(filler tipe like the ones a mention). If you only want to take one game take a regular deck of cards or a decktet as they provide more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Freamon
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
-1 to Mr Jack Pocket, at least for my experience in European inland flights (though maybe in overseas planes bigger trays are to be expected). I thought myself that the game would be small enough but it was not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric D
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it will be about as long a trip as you can get. We live in Kansas and are wanting to go to Australia sooooo... 17+ hours on a plane?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adraven wrote:
Yeah it will be about as long a trip as you can get. We live in Kansas and are wanting to go to Australia sooooo... 17+ hours on a plane?

Its moments like this that I wonder, we can make bigger planes, but not faster ones? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd pay a little more to get there in less time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
adraven wrote:

Its moments like this that I wonder, we can make bigger planes, but not faster ones? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd pay a little more to get there in less time.

I refer you to a former aeroplane called Concorde.

Basically, going faster is a lot more expensive, not a little more. There's a reason airliners are subsonic, that avoids one whole set of problems, and there's not much headroom left there. And then if you do increase speed the fuel consumption goes up seriously, and that's a major cost (even if we ignore other issues). And a fast and quiet plane is tricky too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric D
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:

When is that teleport technology gonna be viable? That is what I wanna know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

I refer you to a former aeroplane called Concorde.

Hmm, it's about time for the hypersonic transport proposal to surface again, isn't it?
London-Sydney in 5 hours ... plus the same again in airport queues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.