Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: etiquette [+] [View All]
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently been in three gaming sessions where one of the players just up and left. We were playing Dominant Species and the person said that they just didn't see the point since they were so far behind. I tried to explain the many different "catch-up" mechanisms but they wanted nothing to do with it. Same situation, different person, with Washington's War.
No matter how much I hate a game or how bad I am losing, I ALWAYS stick around until the end to see how it all plays out. I'll even play a game I hate again to see if my initial observations were correct.
So my question is...How often do you walk out in the middle of a game and for what reasons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never, unless it's an emergency or if I've only got limited time to play and have to leave. In the latter case, I'll always make it clear before committing to the game that I have to leave in X hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have an issue in a concession in a two player game, but I would never leave a multiplayer game unless there was an emergency of some kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never unless I absolutely had to leave. I even stayed for Washington's War when the other player insulted me, just to finish the game. It started off fun but i never wanted a game to end so quickly at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in my case, we are all friends at the gaming table - we know each other a long time. Nobody would walk out just because he is losing, even if the game is to last a few hours more.

If there would be such players at our gaming nights, they would never be invited again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once feigned surprise when I went bankrupt and lost a game I wasn't too fond of playing.

Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever walked out, for much the same reasons as others in this thread. There has been at least one game that all members of the group agreed to end half-way through by mutual consent, as none of us were having all that much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never, without an emergency or a time limit.

That said, staying in a game which you have no chance to win can cause problems. A player may:
Lose all interest and play his side carelessly.
Side with another player, openly or secretly, and help them win.
Recklessly attack another player, weakening them for the others.
And so on...

The kindest thing, and often the prudent thing to do is to put the low player out of the game, and his misery, by eliminating them. But this isn't always possible, or even the case.

I was once playing in a five player game of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich when the Russian player decided he didn't want to play anymore. So instead of letting us know and letting someone take over for him, he fell back all along his line allowing all three of his objective cities to fall into German hands, declared defeat, and bolted after nearly three hours of play. Needless to say it spoiled what had been a pretty good game night up to that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never, and I'd never play with that person again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been in a couple of games where we ended it by agreement or restarted (ie: time ran out/utter disinterest of one party or in learning games). I also tend to get a bit bored if a game is dragging and there is no possibility of victory, but will still play through. That being said however, I played a game recently where the winner was clear from about halfway in, but another player and I had an exceptionally close battle for second position and it was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Metro Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't walk out in the middle of a game. I would consider it to be very bad form for anyone to walk out.

I remember, some years ago, that when we would play Diplomacy, everyone had to provide a $20 deposit at the beginning of the game. If you finished the game properly, your $20 was returned. If you left early, your $20 was used to buy beer for the rest of us.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd walk out in case of emergency (which normally shouldn't be related to the game), but not just because i'm losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never. Not that I haven't wanted to, mind you. In that case, though, I'll usually just strongly resist playing that game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias H
Germany
Pendler zwischen Hessen und Rheinlandpfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i were my 14 years old little sister (long time ago)...
or maybe in a game my "team" has to show the white flag (other team definitely will win)

No I would never quite a regular game because of ingame trouble!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never done this (this includes deliberately throwing a game). And if anyone ever did that while I was present they could just keep on walking and never show their face again, quite frankly.

Obvious exceptions like emergencies, previously stated deadlines, ending games by consensus, etc. apply of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
emergencies and pre-stated time only.

i have had a number of people walk out from games i am in, some of them long play games, ruining it for the other people playing. sometimes conceding in a two player game would be ok...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
NEVER! Finish what you started or you'll spoil the fun of the remaining players. It is rude to leave a game for no urgent reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never

This comes right down for the player's motivation for playing.
If it is for the enjoyment of time spent with others over a game or is it a selfish personal desire to win without consideration for the other players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sime Mardesic
Australia
Bacchus Marsh
Victoria
flag msg tools
I've had a bit of the "well there is no point, I can't win", Dominant Species take a bow, then played the game out indifferently and the mood killed for all. I have also had the eye rolling during the rules, eye rolling during play, and the complaining until the game ends.

Unfortunately it is these two people that when the game is something in their wheel house can elevate it to another level with the fun they bring to the table, and how well they go with the social aspect of the game night. I now just have to selectively invite depending on the game I am playing. Light games these guy get the call up. Dominant Species...well there simply is no point wasting their time and I just hope they wont get offended when they find out they missed a game night.

The most boggling thing I have found is when I try to be diplomatic afterwards and say "yeah that game isn't for everyone" I have had responses like "I thought it was pretty good, I just got boned at the start so there was no point". They love game night. There just seems to be this lack of understanding between their actions and how it impacts everyones fun. I think AP prone people are much the same, obliviously killing game nights.

Heck just this last Friday I gave a mate his maiden call up, the first three hours of the night went great, halfway through Bang he threw his cards to the table with a curse and refusal to play on. Six people sat there silent. Incredibly awkward. Eventually I gathered them up and passed them to him, and he finished out the game. Next day "I really like Bang, that was a fun game". I can't extend another invite, he will be shattered but that is inexcusable.

I am slowly getting my roster of players right, knowing who fits what. I don't envisage a scenario where the same guys will happily play the same games week in week out. It will be a call up on an as required basis. Not ideal at all, but I can't play Survive every night, a man needs his heavier games every now and then without trouble.

So in long, it sucks that you had a walk out. Finding that perfect mix of players that don't complain, embrace everything, play everything well, play briskly, get along socially, and see the game through to the end in good spirits, isn't always possible. If that is who you have then sadly you will have to deal with the odd hissy fit. If you have the chance to avoid it then all the better. To my mind it is incredibly rude and if ever I am losing in Dominant Species at your table you can bet I'll be scrapping and scrounging my way up the leader board until the bitter end. Third place is better than fourth...heck maybe I can even get to second...oooh is that first I see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have never walked out either
I have had groups call a game due to time or a few due to run away
1 18xx game we played for 6 hours or so and was only about half way and we also had a leader that was mostly un catchable
so in the interst of possibly playing another ton of games we called it

on the op
I played dom spec once
and i was that guy wayyyy behind
however
the last round and a half I got or did all the right things ( luck with the right cards mainly ) and blasted my way into a win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never walked out on a game and I wouldn't walk out on one if I was losing etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did it last week...

The scene- My wife and I sitting on the couch on a cold (for FL) January evening.

"Let's play a game," she offers.

I am stunned. She never offers to do this.

"Great," I respond with enthusiasm.

She leaves she room and comes back with... Monopoly.

Really. True story.

I tried to play for her sake, but after over an hour, and her with houses on almost all her owned property, I had to declare her the winner and walk away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't walked away from a game in decades. The reason for doing so would be the behavior of another player, & yes I can recall stepping away from a game I was winning. However I play with a tight group of friends now, abusive behavior on the part of others isn't an issue these days. In term of a game that's a lost cause, I see that as no reason to leave. I can always learn something about a strategy that just help beat me and/or the playing habits of an opponent by finishing out the game.

Back to the "behavior" issue, I gave up all facebook games last year. Someone came after me in Mafia Wars and I trounced him. Next I knew he was showing up in multiple games with friends trying to give me a hard time. I've little interest in wasting my time with a player who carries a grudge from one game to another so I simply stepped away from the facebook games. This is the kind of behavior that would have gotten me to stop wasting my time in the past on a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had people leave games/want to quit about a half dozen times in the last 5 years. In all honesty, it really doesn't bother me at all. These people are my friends. They are sitting down at my table and I am enjoying their company - if they are not having a good time, then we need to do something else.

Maybe I am just lucky in this regard that my closest friends are my gaming group, but for as much as a lot of you feel so strongly against the idea of someone getting up from the table, I feel just as strongly about how wrong it is to expect someone to use their finite amount of time on this Earth to do something they don't enjoy.

Pack it up, grab another game, and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Pack it up, grab another game, and have fun!

I can't see it that simple. My gaming time is limited - I want to squeeze the most out of it. I would never walk away from a game * and I expect my gaming buddies to do likewise.

* as said before by others, of course there are circumstances where this behavior is accepted, like a death in the close family or earth is hit by a meteor ... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.