Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something funny happened to me last night as I was playing Railways of the World with my wife. For whatever reason, I paid $6000 for every mountain hex that I built. The real cost is $4000 per mountain hex and as I was building a lot around Italy and Spain I lost a lot of money because of this. I did not catch my mistake until very late in the game but then it was too late and my wife ran away with victory.

I honestly don't know how this happened. I am usually the "rules guy" in our gaming group and well versed in the games we play. In this particular game I even had the reference card face up in front of me and I checked it frequently. I did wonder at one point how my wife had so much more money than I did. Still, since she didn't build a single mountain hex in this game she also failed to notice my misplay.

Have you had similar experiences? Have you ever played things ridiculously wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the time! Occasionally, when the stars align, we manage to play a game correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know our group played Dominant Species several times before we realized that we should perform the Domination scoring that the Ice Age card tells us we should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yup. I recently discovered that I have been playing the urbanise action in Steam wrong for, well - since we started playing Steam. We played urbanise before track building commenced and thus it was always super risky to urbanise as you just knew you were going to lose at least one cube . Ah well, it comes from being too lazy to actually read rules when there is someone else to teach me instead. Usually, if I manage to read through the rules myself, I am a bit of a rules Nazi laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a requirement for Ameritrash games.

I don't know how Eurogamers survive a rule misread. How often do you Eurogamers misread a rule yet still enjoy and appreciate the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing ASL wrong for years. Many wargames set highet and higher levels of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently discovered, that i misinterpreted the "Kings Aid in Spring" and allowed every player with the same amount of buildings to choose a good instead of allowing the player with the least buildings (or in case of a draw with the least goods) to take an additional white die for the spring productive season.

Overall it didn't make that much of a difference, but surely it made it harder for the "weakest" player to catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Arnold
Canada
Douglas
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I first got into gaming and Received Alhambra I had to learn the rules myself with out help. So my wife and I played our first couple of games by playing all 3 actions each turn, so in saying that we bought what we could, then took money and redesigned. How silly I looked when a new gamer friend of ours quickly pointed out that we could only do one of the three a turn.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I make ridiculous mistakes in many aspects of my life so I'm not too worried about getting a few game rules wrong shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Have you had similar experiences? Have you ever played things ridiculously wrong?

No. Not me. I never make any rules mistakes. whistle

In my group, the question is not "Did we get any rules wrong?" The question is "How many rules did we get wrong this time?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I could have been a little more specific with my topic. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, that much is obvious.

My mistake was a little over the top because I had played the game several times before correctly - paying $4000 for building on mountains. This time not only did I shoot myself in the leg by paying a lot more for them, but for some reason I didn't even understand I was playing wrong until the end.

So, reformed question: Have you ever made rules mistakes in games that you are familiar with, that were over the top and had you scratching your head after the game, thinking "did that just really happen"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the time.

Sometimes I'm sure about something I'm actually wrong about.

Sometimes I'm not sure, and just decide to wing it.

Every once in a while, there's a game that I learn from the rulebook, it makes sense, and I don't need to fuss around with rules, like Race for the Galaxy.

I'm a decent teacher after I've played the game several times and know the minor loopholes that come from things, but I am absolutely terrible at translating words on paper to an understanding of how a game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently learned that, in Ticket to Ride: Europe, you have to pay trains cards to put down stations. We've never done that.

The kicker is that, once I went back and looked at the rulebook (where the rule is, along with a helpful and obvious illustration), I remembered reading that rule when I got the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - only just realised that Agricola players take turns to take actions rather than one player taking all of their actions and then another. Also the robber in Catan causes you to discard half your cards if you have more than the limit, not just down to the limit. Now I always scan the rules before a play, just in case...

I like to think my results will improve now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias H
Germany
Pendler zwischen Hessen und Rheinlandpfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but most of the time it is not a game killer.

I am the rule-guy of our groupe because nobody else like to read rules, so it is my personal duty to prevent rule mistakes.

It happens from time to time that mistakes sly in to our gameplay.

But if we find a mistake, we finish the game and make it right next time.

most time rule nuances

Last mistakes:
Tichu - small Tichu (before play of OWN FIRST card and not before of FIRST card )

Robo Rally: forgett about the save possibility on a regualar wrench sign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
But of course, especially playing so many solitaire games. That's why I really appreciate the BGG community to set me straight. Special kudos to Victory Point Games designers who are always available to answer questions, UniversalHead's rules summary sheets, most recently his Ghost Stories PDF has proven invaluable, and of course all the BGG users who ask the rules questions so I don't have to! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I only seem to make rules mistakes when the mistakes are in my favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EuroPeon
United States
flag msg tools
Anytime I get a new game, I always make mistakes with starting money.

1) Puerto Rico: didn't give anyone starting money, made the early choices super limited, and difficult.

2) 7 Wonders: same thing.

3) Stone Age: Missed the setup instruction about starting food. Also, for some reason, thought that all food that went unused at the end of a round was lost to spoilage. This meant most people were getting a -10pt hit each round until their farming increased. Also made the game take about 2.5 hours and be super tedious. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As very young kids, we thought the Luxury Tax square on the Monopoly board was $7,500, rather than $75.00 (had not yet studied decimals really). This meant for all inten and purpose, landing on it put you out of the game. Created some great tension when you got within 12 spaces of it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I don't ever make ridiculous rules mistakes.
All of my many mistakes are remarkably clever!

edited three times for errors

My most common type of mistake is to forget to update some item that needs to be adjusted each turn, like refilling empty resources or such. Not really a mistake in understanding the rule, but still a mistake in following the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our last game of Carson City, we forgot that you can build diagonally until half way through the game. It was a resounding puzzlement all around the table when we realized our error, and most of us were happy to just continue saying "okay, the rules have changed now -- we build and collect diagonally!" One of our players who was just learning the game was not pleased, however, and requested that we immediately restart the game. For some reason, he was mad at me over it and threatened not to play games if we were going to be doing that to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first "experienced" game of Flash Point: Fire Rescue, I overlooked the rule limiting "Hot Spots". Amazingly enough we managed to save 4 victims before the building came crashing down on us.

We all had a great laugh after I discovered the rule limiting "Hot Spots" to six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played Dominion was with a guy who owned the game. For some reason the first time that someone played Militia, I discarded 3 cards, instead of "down to 3 cards." Everyone else followed suit, and the guy didn't realize it. Finally, after several more Militia were played, the guy was like, "Wait, have we been doing this the whole game?"

Pretty funny since we were entrusting him to teach us the game correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, definately! Once I read and played a game all wrong...that`s two and a half hours I will never see again...blush

What I have heard you are supposed to do at least three mistakes with the rules when you play a game for the first time. With me, mistakes tend to duplicate. Though that is kind of how we learn...FROM MISTAKES!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Mueller
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realized just recently that in Civilization, you get a culture event card for EVERY step on the track (exept when you get a great person), and not only for the steps with a culture event label beneath them (there are only 3!)

Usually, I have a good instinct for rules mistakes.. Most of them create an unbalanced game, or make other rules seem useless.
The fact that your culture card hand size in this game is so limited should have rung an alarm..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.