Subject: Introduced some newbies to BSG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sunday night I introduced the game Battlestar Galactica to part of our regular group plus some newbies. We had 6 players and 2 were new to boardgaming and knew nothing of BSG, so it was a matter of trusting the Lords of Kobol that things would go well. The other 3 were familiar with BSG (Mike being the only one of us to have seen it all while 3 of us were catching up). I had played 2 games prior so I was able to run the game, I had shared the Scott Nicholson video to them all so they were primed and ready to go. I am sure I will get the newbies names spelt wrong so I forgive me.

We had a newbie, Viroom play Laura Rosalyn, Ann played Gaius, Mike played Adama, Sonna-Ra played Apollo, Ghee played Starbuck, and I had the Chief.

We had a great game, the Cylon players started to emerge under a little suspicion, yet we could not nail them down for sure. In typical BSG crisis mode we never quite had the time to get the suspects into the brig, it may have helped before the halfway point. By halfway we were in reasonably good shape overall, nothing in the red, most of the dials were near 3/4 full. Suspicions had developed but it was hard to nail players down when they were also doing a lot of visible good.

Half time came and Mike revealed the Sympathizer card and disappeared from play, leaving Sonna-Ra in charge of the military. This was rather short lived as she decided to reveal her true self and also resurrected as a big attack came in. Fortunately we managed to be near a jump and got the fleet out of town.

As the next round came around we saw some dastardly activity by Mike the Toaster, who started sabotaging from a distance, the dials were slipping down, especially population. Starbuck drew a really major attack on us so used her special ability to draw another. This new card was worse, "Surrounded" from memory, and we were in poor shape to deal with it. Sonna-Ra made it worse in her activation, I managed to patch up the guns and flight deck to give us a bare fighting chance.

Now it was Ann's moment to come clean, and Gaius revealed he was a Toaster, it was the nail in the coffin as she allowed the crisis check to fail pushing the population to 2, and then the Cylon ships activated and cleaned up some transports pushing us under 0.

For a game with so many newbies to the game we had a great time, people were actively involved in creating the story and playing out their characters. As with these types of games it generates interaction and drama, accusations and tests, and plenty of laughs.

They liked it so much they want to play next week now!

G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cmdr_G wrote:
Sunday night I introduced the game Battlestar Galactica to part of our regular group plus some newbies. We had 6 players and 2 were new to boardgaming and knew nothing of BSG, so it was a matter of trusting the Lords of Kobol that things would go well. The other 3 were familiar with BSG (Mike being the only one of us to have seen it all while 3 of us were catching up). I had played 2 games prior so I was able to run the game, I had shared the Scott Nicholson video to them all so they were primed and ready to go. I am sure I will get the newbies names spelt wrong so I forgive me.

We had a newbie, Viroom play Laura Rosalyn, Ann played Gaius, Mike played Adama, Sonna-Ra played Apollo, Ghee played Starbuck, and I had the Chief.

We had a great game, the Cylon players started to emerge under a little suspicion, yet we could not nail them down for sure. In typical BSG crisis mode we never quite had the time to get the suspects into the brig, it may have helped before the halfway point. By halfway we were in reasonably good shape overall, nothing in the red, most of the dials were near 3/4 full. Suspicions had developed but it was hard to nail players down when they were also doing a lot of visible good.

Half time came and Mike revealed the Sympathizer card and disappeared from play, leaving Sonna-Ra in charge of the military. This was rather short lived as she decided to reveal her true self and also resurrected as a big attack came in. Fortunately we managed to be near a jump and got the fleet out of town.

As the next round came around we saw some dastardly activity by Mike the Toaster, who started sabotaging from a distance, the dials were slipping down, especially population. Starbuck drew a really major attack on us so used her special ability to draw another. This new card was worse, "Surrounded" from memory, and we were in poor shape to deal with it. Sonna-Ra made it worse in her activation, I managed to patch up the guns and flight deck to give us a bare fighting chance.

Now it was Ann's moment to come clean, and Gaius revealed he was a Toaster, it was the nail in the coffin as she allowed the crisis check to fail pushing the population to 2, and then the Cylon ships activated and cleaned up some transports pushing us under 0.

For a game with so many newbies to the game we had a great time, people were actively involved in creating the story and playing out their characters. As with these types of games it generates interaction and drama, accusations and tests, and plenty of laughs.

They liked it so much they want to play next week now!

G

Nice report Gordon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
CYLONERIFIC. May I ask how long the game was? goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Game length was only 3 1/2 hours, so not slow really. The video to intro them helped, I had some Cylon info sheets for all the players, and the first turn in particular I coached, there after I coached with an in character sort of spin to it.

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to BSG Sessions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.