Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Keeping track of xxpansion rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Almost all the changes are just new cards where you read the card and do as it says. There's generally one or two new rules for each expansion which you just have to remember because they're not written down on any cards. They tend to add to rather than replace the base game rules.

The small box expansions will be considerably easier to manage than the large box expansions in terms of new things to forget/remember. (And of the large box expansions, Dunwich is probably the simplest in terms of new rules)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpudTrooper wrote:
__cim__ wrote:
Almost all the changes are just new cards where you read the card and do as it says. There's generally one or two new rules for each expansion which you just have to remember because they're not written down on any cards. They tend to add to rather than replace the base game rules.

The small box expansions will be considerably easier to manage than the large box expansions in terms of new things to forget/remember. (And of the large box expansions, Dunwich is probably the simplest in terms of new rules)


Cheers for clearing that up. Glad to know it's not going to be a slog through 3 rule books to see which overwrites which.
Actually, it's even better than that: if you're only playing with a single big box expansion, then the rulebook for that expansion is the only one you need. This is because expansions are supersets of the base rules; typically they just add new stuff, they don't change things. So in Dunwich you have the Dunwich Horror track and the vortices on the Dunwich board, you also have Injury and Madness cards, but that's pretty much it; not changes to the base game.

Besides, once you've played the base game several times then (despite the impression you may gain from this forum) you'll have the rules off pat and you'll only have to make the effort to remember the extra rules for the expansion. This is not difficult, especially as the base rules aren't changed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with one expansion at a time until you become familiar with the mechanics. Get a second expansion until you are familiar with those new rules.

You don't have to combine everything right away. That would be overwhelming. Playin solo, I still only use one expansion at a time, and I've been at it quite a while.

Brian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Print out the Rule Summaries/Player Aids from Universal Head. They are really helpful in summarizing the rules for each expansion. There is even a summary sheet of the entire rules with each expansions rules in line but color coded.

http://www.headlesshollow.com/downloads/games/ArkhamHorror_v...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've permanently added the Characters and Personal Stories cards from Innsmouth, and I'll likely add the characters and Madness & injury decks from Dunwhich. The boards are somewhat interesting, but unless we've got more than 4 players, I won't bother adding them.

I'm still deciding about adding the location cards for those areas.

I find it makes sense to include the mechanics that your group likes, since it's a coop game. Worst case, you make it too easy, and if that gets boring, it's easy to tweak the difficulty up again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have the base game set, the expansion rules are trivial. I'd say that 85% of the rules is in the base game, and the other 15% are spread over the expansions. Innmouth Horror has the "most" additional rules to keep track of.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.