Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Empires: Builder Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: made the game too easy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
empires is one of my faveourite games and i was really looking forward to this but like the previous thread what a dissapointment.
after a few games we found that it made the game too easy - has anyone else found this ?
the joy of the game used to be that money was tight, and you could never buy many capital buildings..now with this there is an abundance of money , captital buildings and all the specialists..and every game we played and for both of us was the same! this really took any joy and game play out of this game.
be really interested in if any of you have found this...?

the country tiles too, make it all easier ( though as said some seem wildly unbalenced)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that it was rushed and not playtested properly...

I guess that you can still use part of the expansion: for example add only a few buildings, or only the builders (and the buildings that produce them), e.t.c.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
empires is one of my faveourite games and i was really looking forward to this but like the previous thread what a dissapointment.
after a few games we found that it made the game too easy - has anyone else found this ?
the joy of the game used to be that money was tight, and you could never buy many capital buildings..now with this there is an abundance of money , captital buildings and all the specialists..and every game we played and for both of us was the same! this really took any joy and game play out of this game.
be really interested in if any of you have found this...?

the country tiles too, make it all easier ( though as said some seem wildly unbalenced)
to a point i agree...but some of the tiles are great, and the idea that every tile may not show up every game is a nice touch also...i would suggest just using the tiles you like, and playing with/without the national advantages and find your own comfort level...it's your expansion and your game, so play it as you you enjoy!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah i agree its nice to have more tiles so you dont always have the same ones each game..think we will have to play with trying it with just some tiles and see what happens..try without the builders first.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if you were playing with the option of buying Victory Points for money at the end of each Age? (I haven't been able to play with the expansion yet.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the exact opposite. There's more money in the game, but that makes it more competitive. The original game had little money, so the player who corralled those money tiles had a huge advantage in gaining the best tiles.

What's the point of having the tiles if they can't be bought?

With more money in the game and the builder earing bonus points in the New World, the final scoring has increased quite a bit; so you can't slip up or make suboptimal moves, which also improves an already great game.

Brian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
I'm curious if you were playing with the option of buying Victory Points for money at the end of each Age? (I haven't been able to play with the expansion yet.)
We played with this option and everyone bought some VPs, but I'm still on the fence about it personally.

First, it is great that they included this as an option and options are usually always good.
Second, everybody purchased some points just not at every age, so that was good.

I'm just worried if it allows the rich to get even richer. I mean it wasn't a problem in our game, and everybody was ok with it, but I could see how it might enhance that runaway leader feeling you sometimes can get.

But having said all of that, I would still play with it as an option.

apatheticexecutioner wrote:
I feel the exact opposite. There's more money in the game, but that makes it more competitive. The original game had little money, so the player who corralled those money tiles had a huge advantage in gaining the best tiles.

What's the point of having the tiles if they can't be bought?

With more money in the game and the builder earing bonus points in the New World, the final scoring has increased quite a bit; so you can't slip up or make suboptimal moves, which also improves an already great game.

Brian
I couldn't agree more with you Brian. Seems too many people want their cake and eat it too. Instead of getting monastary and cathedral and what ever else you could get to get more missionaries to the new world with, now the challenge is figuring out what to do when you get monastery, and military academy, and free trade goods. How do you win when your favorite scripted strategy doesn't come up or you are forced to mix and match them together?? That's the new challenge with the expansion. And it's not bad folks, it's just different!

The only bad thing about the expansion, is that they have left too many questions unanswered concerning some of the new buildings. This could be fixed with a reasonbable posted FAQ. I'm also alittle disappointed with some of the obvious underplaytested new national advantages, but I think a well thought out errata could help with that too.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
well brian thats another view!
maybe that spur me on

any one any thoughts about the builder scoring..as far as i can make out with 2 player the ratio is the same as without the builders - ( if so) we were thinking of changing the scoring to make it worth something getting the builders in the new world

as someone said to me its a bit like playing monopoly with a £1000 extra and a hotel to start off with!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
well brian thats another view!
maybe that spur me on

any one any thoughts about the builder scoring..as far as i can make out with 2 player the ratio is the same as without the builders - ( if so) we were thinking of changing the scoring to make it worth something getting the builders in the new world

as someone said to me its a bit like playing monopoly with a £1000 extra and a hotel to start off with!


I really like the double use for the builder. It's a tough decision whether to use him to get a cheaper building or go for the points. The builder really brings warfare into the game in a big way. Your oppenents are definitely going to target him if you've got area control; so you've got to have somewhat of a military strategy in order to take out the oppossing soldiers.

Now he has to decide whether he should wax your builder or take out your soldier, because his soldier is gone, regardless.

Spain has also added to the necessity of picking up soldiers. If you don't and he takes the free soldier National Advantage, he's just going to take area control by placing a worker in the Warfare box every turn, as happened in our game. Spain was slow getting out of the box in Age One, but at the end had control of three colonies by shooting everybody.

It was the first time for everybody, except a practice solo game I played to become familiar with the new mechanics, so the Spanish player didn't optimize the other victory point conditions and finished third of four. With more rounded play, though, Spain could be quite dangerous with the military strategy, which isn't that great in the base game.

Also in our game, Spain bought one of the +1 soldier buildings, which made him particularly hard to deal with in the New World.

Of course, the builder and the soldier take up space in the colonists dock that's better used utilizing missionaries, but that also increases the decision-making process. It's particulary difficult in four player, with only seven available slots in the colonists dock and no second advantage with the missionary.

You might be able to tell that I'm just a little fond of this expansion. I do agree that some of the tiles could have been explained as to frequency of use a little better, particularly the tile that gives two free colonists to the owner and a player of his choice. We played every turn, because "immediately" doesn't appear like it does on similar tiles.

On the other hand, it doesn't say "every turn," like the money tiles ($5 or $10 every turn).

Brian
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.