Popular Tags: [View All]
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played a word game with Scrabble tiles and we do not know the name of the game. Our friend taught us the game, and they do not know either.
It is very similar to Bananagrams, but still not the same.
You start with 7 tiles, build your own board, and when someone is done, everyone takes a tile. However, you cannot change your board once you put down a combination.
Add the end of the game you add your points and the player with the highest score win.

Is it just a variant on Bananagram?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrabble Me?
Scrabble Apple?

Or did you open the Scrabble box and use the tiles and not the board? Bananagrams is based (I think) on a fan-made game played with Scrabble tiles. I don't know the name of it, but I'm pretty sure it's just a public domain game that's been spread by word of mouth, like common card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Yes, we opened the Scrabble box and used only the tiles from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, we opened the Scrabble box and used only the tiles from the game.

Sounds just like what I call Speed Scrabble, except we use 5 tiles to start, can alter the board at any time and say 'take two' when letters are used up (when someone finishes and there are no tiles left then letters removed or unplayed by the others are counted as -ve points).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several older versions of this game that Bananagrams copied, but I think "speed Scrabble" has been in public domain for quite a while. I think Scrabble missed the boat by not producing variations themselves.

Alphabok by Springbok is a 1968 version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.