Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I ran the Geek User poll I was given a prod for not listing Scotland as a separate country. Mulling this over I thought it might be interesting to do some polls for the UK and it seems like the people who are using the UK/Ireland forums and guild would be an interesting audience to have a bit more understanding of, whether they are from the UK or not.

I am cross-posting this in the various UK & Ireland country forums and the UK guild. That is quite a lot of forums, so I encourage you to focus your comments in the UK guild thread to make it easy to keep track of the discussion. No problem if you don't want to do that though.

Feel free to add your own polls or questions. It would be good if you copied any additional polls into the UK guild thread as the 'home' thread for this discussion.

Poll
1. Where were you born?
England
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland
Republic of Ireland
Isle of Man
Channel Islands
US
Mainland Europe
Other
2. Where do you live?
England
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland
Republic of Ireland
Isle of Man
Channel Islands
US
Mainland Europe
Other
3. What sex are you?
Male
Female
Other
4. What is your age?
0-10
11-18
19-25
26-35
36-45
46-55
56-65
66+
5. What is the size of your main gaming group?
I don’t have a main gaming group
I mainly play solitaire
2 people
3 people
4 people
5 people
6 people
7 people
8 people
9 people
10-15
16-30
31-50
51+
6. On Average how often do you play boardgames?
Daily
Every 2 or 3 days
Twice Weekly
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly
A few times a year
Annually
Less than Annually
I never get to play them....sob
7. How many boardgames do you own? (exclude Expansions)
Zero
1-5
6-10
11-20
21-50
51-100
101-200
201-300
301-500
501-1000
1001-2000
2000+
8. Do you have a local game store?
Yes, in my city/town
Yes, within reasonable travelling distance
No
9. If you have a local game store, how many of your games purchases do you make there?
75-100%
50-75%
25-50%
1-25%
0%
I don't have a local game store
10. If you have a local game store, would you call if "Friendly"?
Yes
No
I don't have a local game store
      296 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

And for my own indulgence (feel free to ignore):
Poll
What is your closest political alignment?
Conservative
Labour
LibDem
Green
SNP
Plaid Cymru
Sinn Fein
Democratic Unionist
UKIP
BNP
Monster Raving Loony
Other
None
      228 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Analysis

Analysis after 217 respondents.

198 respondents who reside in the UK to date. That compares with 317 UK residents who responded to the main user poll. Enough to make a reasonable comparison with the main BGG user population I think.

91.5% of the people who responded to the poll reside in the UK (with another 5% in Ireland). I'm going to assume that the 3.5% who don't reside in the British Isles who still answered this poll did so because they are from Britain, but live overseas.

12% of the respondents weren't born in the UK. In the main poll 8.7% of respondents weren't born in the country in which they live.

96.3% of the respondents were Male. Thats higher than the general BGG population which was 94.4% Male.

We are older on average than the average BGG. 49% of them are 35 of younger. 39% of us are.
24% of us are 46 or older, compared to 15% of BGG on average.

We play games less. 45% of BGG played games more than once a week. 36% of us do. We also have nearly twice as many 'mainly solitaire' players (but still only 5%).

We have roughly the same size boardgame collections as the average BGG (median 100, average 200). There are slightly fewer of the 'huge' (500+ games) collections about.

A surprisingly large proportion of us (55%) make some of our game purchases in our Local Game Store, which is more impressive when you consider that 30% of us don't even have a local game store!
But only 18% of us make 50% of more of our purchases in our LGS. So online is king.

Of those of us with a local game store, 80% would describe it as 'Friendly'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Prompted by the What's the "people's game" in your country? thread, I'd be interested to see what games are considered traditional/particular to/popular in the different regions.
Twenty-Five and Forty-Five seem to be (or at least have been in the past) widely popular in Ireland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.