Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been able to play a few more games of Thunderstone with my wife, who seems to like it pretty well. This is good for me, since she's my main gaming group Recently we played a few 2-player games with one being especially memorable:

Our dungeon lineup was Enchanted, Abyssal, and Undead - Doom. Our heroes were Thyrian, Amazons, Regian Clerics, and Elf Wizards.

I found it to be a more interesting game than usual because we pursued different strategies. My wife collected warriors and weapons (hatchets, spears), and a few clerics to deal with diseases. She threw in some Amazons, which proved to be effective back-up for the warriors. Because of the big punch the warriors with weapons gave her, she jumped out to a quick lead, snagging a few monsters from the top of the dungeon.

I, on the other hand, took my time and tried to finesse my deck. I rested to get rid of most of my militia, and bought elf wizards whenever I could. A Lightstone Gem helped give me the money to collect several fireballs as well. The Sphinx appeared fairly early, and a lucky draw netted me several wizards and a pair of fireballs so I was able to lay out the requisite 8 magic attack to nab her! The 6-card destroy spoils really helped my deck, as I ditched my useless torches and rations.

Side note: I've now played at least five games of Thunderstone, with various groups of people, using the Enchanted monsters. The Sphinx has so far been quite an elusive target. Usually she gets chased away before anyone can amass the Magic Attack to deal with her. I'll have to remind my wife about that strategy...

Of course, I had tailored my deck into a Sphinx-killing machine, but when the Archduke of Pain (Battle: destroy all clerics and wizards) breached, I realized I had met my match. I wasn't willing to sacrifice my wizards to him, despite the 10 point gain. So I utilized the level 2 power of my elven wizards to banish him back to the dungeon!

After collecting a few choice monsters (Tormenter - 6 points, and Lord of Death - 7 points), I used my army of wizards to quickly turn over the dungeon pile. I even used a well-timed banish to claim the Tunderstone for myself, by sliding it into rank 2 and killing the easy prey in rank 1. Overall, a tidy win for myself. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sids Creations
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bet the wife was none too impressed.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon deck manipulation sure isn't very sext compared to stepping toe-to-toe with a beasty and committing war crimes - but in Thunderstone it is powerfully effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.