Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing you'll likely notice about the Pile of Weewaks is their massive twenty-four Health! In spite of a special weakness noted later on, this makes the Horde one of the most difficult characters in the game to kill, which makes them well-suited to what I see as their two main functions.

The Weewaks others stats are less impressive, with Red Strength, Aim, and Point, and Blue Melee and Wits. They do have Green Throw and React, and an excellent Yellow Stealth, but their Movement is a disappointing five. Lastly the Weewaks enjoy the benefits of Blue Armor and two Blue Penetration.

With their slow movement and mediocore stats, the Weewaks clearly aren't the best of adventurers. If you have to take a challenge with them, try to make it in the Future Labyrinth where they will at least have the benefit of the Age bonus.

Ideally, however, you won't be using them as adventurers at all. With their tremendous life, great Stealth, good natural Armor, good Penetration and ability to attack every character in their space in Melee, the Horde is one of the game's premier blockers. Whenever I have the Pile of Weewaks I hustle them over to the Colonial Labyrinth as soon as possible, to block off both the Labyrinth and its Tower of Maneuver (also to provide a place to run for any of my characters who are fleeing enemy beatsticks). In such cases I don't place the Lith Strategica, in order to avoid giving my opponent an easy way to banish the Horde. No, if they want to access the Colonial Labyrinth, they'll have to fight for the right!

And it's a fight that won't be at all easy to win. Their Health, Armor, React and Stealth allow the Weewaks to absorb an amazing amount of punishment and, even with only Blue Melee, their two Blue Penetration makes them not bad at dishing it out in return. In fact, with the Weewaks, I would recommend retreating only one space back each time rather than two, aborbing any Opfire shots as they come. Yes, it will hurt, but the Weewaks can take it, and you don't want your opponent reaching the Colonial ToM and banishing the Pile of Weewaks too soon. The main exception would be if a skillful enemy breaks out a powerful area effect weapon against the Horde. Because of their nature, the Weewaks take DOUBLE damage from any area effect weapon, which is why when a character turned the Flamethrower on them in one game they retreated fast. Other than that, however, the Weewaks's presence will likely deter even attempts to force past them, unless the opponent has a character like Reaver or the Titanium Renegade, who can likely get through without too much damage.

So that's the first main use of the Weewaks. The second, rather surprisingly, is as a challenger in the Field of Honor, which is why I recommend always placing that key when you have the Weewaks.

As soon as you get a nice, non-area effect Throw weapon(Special note: according to the rules, the Field of Honor challenger does NOT have to satisfy the Strength or Wits requirement of whatever weapon he is using!), give it to the Pile of Weewaks and make tracks for the Throw section of the Field of Honor. It's highly unlikely that your opponent will even risk a character by bothering to respond to the Weewak's challenge, and since the first marker placed on the Field of Honor is usually the only marker placed there that game, that's an an easy point for you!

Cards are problematic for the Weewaks, since their low Strength and Wits prevent them from being able to use many of them. The Weewaks can't benefit from Armor and since they're mostly designed to sit in one place, I'd say that Mounts are wasted on them. Nor should you give them any weapons apart from Throw weapons. A good area effect Throw weapon which they could use could provide an unpleasant surprise to the enemy. By the same token, a usable Pet might be a nice thing to entrust the Weewaks with, especially if you think your opponent is going to try to force his way past the pile. Giving the Weewaks a Sentinel to place would be completely redundant; place the Sentinels in Labyrinths other than those guarded by the Horde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well done, as always! I never considered the Field of Honor! Thanks for doing what you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Great write as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! Thanks for the praise, from both of you. Knowing people are enjoying these is what keeps me doing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, I should point out that i am definitely enjoying them. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.