Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As much as I enjoy playing 7 Wonders, I've had the worst luck introducing it to new players of the unconscious persuasion. In every case, people who were unconscious have struggled to understand it. And I'm not just picking on unconscious people who don't game, since even hardcore unconscious gamers have not grasped this game the first time through.

On the other hand, newbie conscious people I thought would struggle, even a few complete, wide-awake nongamers, have picked it up immediately.

Because of this, the last few plays I've had have been...well, uh, "challenging," with more than one three-age hand lasting 8 hours, until every one who was unconscious woke up. I can't explain it at all.

Anyone else experience this? Is there something in the gameplay of 7 Wonders that just doesn't resonate with people who are unconscious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop putting roofies in their drinks beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't, but I have had a hard time teaching it to my dead American friends.........and women. Really tough. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played 7 Wonders with unconscious people and not a one of them has ever complained about having a hard time understanding the gameplay. Maybe it's the unconscious people you're playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who instructed the unconscious people in your extremely small survey group on which your anecdotal hypothesis is based?

Because in my experience, unless you're dealing with people who clearly aren't interested or lacking in basic adult-level perception, the lack of comprehension and retention falls mainly on the instructor and not the student.

Perhaps there is something about your particular instruction style that is somehow less effective towards unconscious people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the unconscious gamer problem is not unique to 7 wonders. Unconscious people seem to have trouble playing a wide variety of games. I'm not judging here, just stating a personal observation.

I have had some success playing games with unconscious people like those found in the geeklist below:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/87044/solitaire-games-...

I take the active side, and let them have the other side. Disturbingly, I often seem to lose to the unconscious player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I find your attacks on the intellects of the unconscious population horribly offensive. Furthermore, this anecdotal evidence proves nothing... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should really be posted under "Variants".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is: what are the unconscious people doing outside of their bed in the first place? Amirite, awakened? *looks for hi5*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
THEY JUST DON'T LISTEN!

Before posting, I pondered whether I should indicate it was just a joke. I decided it wasn't necessary.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
I haven't, but I have had a hard time teaching it to my dead American friends.........and women. Really tough. :whistle:

I find that dead people pick up on 7 Wonders immediately. At least, none of them have ever asked for a rules clarification, and, unlike living players, have never complained that I forgot to explain a rule.

The dead don't whine.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to BE an unconscious gamer and have a group of many unconscious gamers who play this all the time

I am an unconscious player over the age of thirty five and I taught it to 6 other unconcious players of similar age, some casual gamers, some completely new to games, and they all had no trouble understanding this game. The conditions were also less than ideal (we were camping, playing on a picnic table, we had to move partway through because it started to rain, and kids were running around distracting us.

Perhaps people who are awake don't know how to explain the rules very well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostbusterbob wrote:
I happen to BE an unconscious gamer and have a group of many unconscious gamers who play this all the time

Since unconscious people by definition cannot see, read, or type, I must conclude you are a poor example of a sock puppet. ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cracked up. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:
I haven't, but I have had a hard time teaching it to my dead American friends.........and women. Really tough. whistle

I find that dead people pick up on 7 Wonders immediately. At least, none of them have ever asked for a rules clarification, and, unlike living players, have never complained that I forgot to explain a rule.

The dead don't whine.

Brian

Mixing up a batch of special Kool-aide, for my gaming group, right now......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
I've only ever played 7 Wonders with unconscious people and not a one of them has ever complained about having a hard time understanding the gameplay. Maybe it's the unconscious people you're playing with.

Me too with my group of unconscious and dead players.

On the other hand, my win-to-loss ratio is way up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game, I concluded the guy who was constantly passing green cards to the eventual winner was unconscious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downtime can be a problem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.