Tinweasel 2
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tested scenario 7 in a solo play. Here are some observations and questions.

- The scenario lists orders DoD 52 & 64 and RtC 51 for the Americans plus DoD 60 and RtC 46 & 47 for the Germans. I think that last order card might be a typo, since RtC 47 is an Americans-specific card. I substituted RtC 48, which is a Germans-specific card, but it refers to another Landmark, so it might make a difference. It would be nice to get the official word on that.

- This scenario is interesting because it uses the new Explosives equipment card, which must be purchased by the Americans for 4 VP. There are some questions I have about how Explosives are really supposed to work.

- The first question concerns the orders cards. The Americans have the Explosives,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
but only one of the three orders cards actually gives them a mission of "blowing up de la Haute Mansion". This is cool since the opponent won't know what the Americans' intentions with the Explosives will be. The Special Instructions for the scenario say, however, "Explosives must be placed on a Landmark or Map Square name plate". Does that mean that no matter what the orders card says, the Explosives must be deployed at some point in the game if possible, or is the intention of the instruction to just explain where Explosives have to deployed (if they are deployed at all)?

Can Explosives just be dropped any time during a MOVE action?

How is that indicated on the map? I used a grenade marker and placed it on the name plate of the Landmark. I then put the Explosives card (held by PFC Wormwood) aside. If it is done like this, the opponent will of course know that there is a boobytrap waiting to happen. A prudent opponent won't enter the rigged space or else bail out as fast as possible. The Explosives won't be very useful as a weapon in that case.
Is placing Explosives in some way supposed to be secret information until they blow up?

Explosives are detonated by leaving the Landmark or map square. The Equipment card says "Exit [square] to Detonate." Now, does this refer to the specific soldier who placed the Explosives, or does that include all members of the team? Normally, you wouldn't want to blow up half of your buddies. I assumed that the Explosives are set off automatically when the last member of the team leaves the square. OK, PFC Wormwood had placed the Explosives and scuttled off. The last buddy lingering in the square happened to be a pinned Sergeant Harrison, clutching the detonator (?). He was subsequently shot and then pressed the detonator with his dying breath (the Germans, having stayed clear of the Landmark, were unscathed). Is that how it is supposed to work?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's great to gain the 22 VP for completing the Demolition orders, no matter if the enemy is caught in the blast or not. But if you draw the other two orders cards, Explosives don't seem to be so terribly useful. Do you really have to catch a large enemy concentration in one square unawares, jog in, place Explosives, run away and detonate all in one go (using a double move action presumably)? That seems to be hard to pull off. Having to purchase the Explosives for 4 VP sets the Americans back a big deal, as the Germans can easily get a good extra soldier for that price.

Any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWattie
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello Dupre,

If you haven't done it already, I would move this over to the main Sergeants Miniatures Game forum. That is the central hub for all things SMG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinweasel 2
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have already noticed that. This post is a desperate attempt to breathe some life into this subpage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point in the life of the game system, I would ask if there is value in having this subpage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinweasel 2
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my post concerns one of the Carentan scenarios. Players who only have Day of Days might not be interested. Conversely, if I was looking for RtC stuff specifically, I might find it faster if there was a special page for it. You decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's already started, I guess we'll let players decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you asked this. I read through all the RtC scenarios last night and got to thinking the same thing. A month+ after your question, still no definitive answer from anyone.

I'd probably play that your last unit "must" exit the square to detonate. If your last guy gets shot before being able to do so, bummer, no big boom. I would keep everything a secret though until it's detonated. It might be a tell if your opponent sees you moving your guy onto a map square designator. The way the sentence is worded makes it ambiguous whether you can place them anywhere in a Landmark or whether it must be on the Landmark map square designator as well. If it's the latter, they should have just left the Landmark reference out of the sentence. As a way to accomplish it, you could just move your last guy out of the Landmark and reveal your explosives card claiming you placed explosives and are detonating them. Keep it secret until it happens and don't use anything to mark placing the explosives. The double move action to run it, set them and run out/detonate is brilliant.

I agree this does need some clarification from the designer as to his intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Belli
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Changed to the later posting. 7/13/12
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelli wrote:
Explosives are placed when the soldier carrying them moves over the name plate of the landmark/map square. No Move card needed. To detonate, the soldier that had the explosives must exit the tile (Note: Detonation does not have to be right away but you have to make sure he does not die)

Yes it would tip off players who pay attention when players move onto name plates, especially for Landmark tiles and think twice about moving into that tile. One thing is you can "declare" tiles as you move that are viable explosive points but on a scrap of paper write where your actual explosives are located.

That would surely make it that much harder for your opponent(s) to make out what your doing.

How would "declaring" tiles as viable explosive points work? I mean if a soldier with explosives moves over a name plate, the explosives will go off when he leaves that tile if he sets them off. So he can't move from one name plate to another name plate later on and then set off the one he was on first because it could only go off when he leaves that tile. I guess I just don't get the strategy suggestion about declaring and righting them down on the paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Belli
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After talking with the designer about how explosives work in SMG he explained quite a bit. (which I am updating the RtC with)

This is how the Explosive Card is supposed to work.

To place explosives you simply move your soldier onto a nameplate of a Landmark or Map square. Once done the explosives are setup. When you exit the square it is like setting the fuse and running out of harms way.

For Demolitions Orders you must move to said Landmark nameplate and Hold that area for 3 turns, thus the demo is set now just awaiting detonation.
To demolish the target the soldier who has the card attached leaves the tile to detonate. No other soldiers can detonate it unless the carrier is killed and the explosives equipment card is retrieved (under Scenario Rules and Notes)

But to answer your question about having to purchase Explosives even tho you do not have a Demo Order. Sure it is a cost incurred without need but that is part of how scenario was setup.

These explosives are used to trap eneimes or help you in a retreating action. I dont think anyone in their right mind would try to run into a squad of men with 15-22 pounds of explosives to try and get them all in one fell swoop without them noticing (it may have happened in real life somewhere who knows) but I wouldnt expect them to live through the ordeal. Also you would need to be Captain America to toss these types of demo charges into a group of men. This explosive card is like a artillery round. Its not a typical assaulting ordnance. Its heavy and being carried around.

I hope this helps the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinweasel 2
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this reply; thanks very much for shedding some light on this. The only thing that I'm not so sure I have understood is this: If I keep everything secret and only tell my opponent about the Explosives when they are detonated, that opponent might not believe that the carrier actually had ended one move on the nameplate before. Should I not call the opponent's attention to that at that time (i. e., "Hey, note that my Explosives guy has just ended his move on the nameplate!")?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.