Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bohannon
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in my local Target (Knightdale, NC) this weekend and I noticed that they are now carrying several Fantasy Flight Games. They had copies of Black Sheep, Deadwood, Lord of the Rings: The Board Game, and Rune Age. This is good to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome! How were the prices? They may not compete with online but another local option would be great hopefully being in Atlanta bodes well for Targets here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live in Minnesota and the corporate headquarters for both companies is right around Minneapolis. I wonder if that close geographical connection has helped get FF games into Targets.

Regardless, a good development to see the hobby spread to more markets. It's pretty easy to recommend that someone pick up a game from Target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I bet Target can't compete with online prices, which makes it tough for them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:
Yeah, I bet Target can't compete with online prices, which makes it tough for them...

But they're not competing with online stores... They are not catering to the finnicky, penny-pinching users of Entitlementgeek.com, they are catering to mothers and grandmothers shopping for little Johnny's birthday present...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
But they're not competing with online stores... They are not catering to the finnicky, penny-pinching users of Entitlementgeek.com, they are catering to mothers and grandmothers shopping for little Johnny's birthday present...

Exactly. This is a great opportunity for FFG to gather completely new fans.

At Steve Jackson Games we've been pretty happy with the results of having Munchkin in Target -- last mentioned here: http://www.sjgames.com/ill/a/2012-01-05 -- and it's kinda cool to see Target working to get a wider variety of games on shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bohannon
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingarthur1976 wrote:
That's awesome! How were the prices? They may not compete with online but another local option would be great hopefully being in Atlanta bodes well for Targets here.

Black Sheep was $14.99. All the others were $29.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same in Oswego Illinois. Sadly all of the games were stacked behinid one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Ticket to Ride at my local Target. It was selling for $49.99 and on the very bottom shelf where the games were. It's nice to see these games showing up, but at full retail and with poor presence I don't see how they can make a dent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Rune Age, LOTR, and Deadwood at our local Target (Opelika, AL, USA) last week. They were also $29.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
okiedokie wrote:
Same in Oswego Illinois. Sadly all of the games were stacked behinid one another.
If you look closely at the tag it says "Deadwood Assortment". I thought it was odd too, but hey, the more games go mainstream the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw deadwood @ a local target in Phoenix, Arizona for $29.99 a couple of weeks ago. They didn't even have a tag for it but it was in the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here in Columbia, MO. The "Deadwood Assortment" comprised of Deadwood, LotR, Rune Age. Didn't see Black Sheep.

Reminds me of a recent SNL joke about Target - "the poverty line...the invisible line that separates Wal-Mart shoppers from Target shoppers." or something to that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
kendahlj wrote:

ninja

Those people tend to lean towards stuff they've heard of (ie Monopoly, Sorry, or a party game). I doubt any mom or grandma is going to pick up Deadwood for little Johnny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Lizak
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think parents buy toys for kids out of the blue without any input from the kid. What they buy for Johnny is based on what Johnny is asking them to buy.

Don't you think a boy looking at the games in the toy area wouldn't be attracted to this game over Sorry????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly a sign that playing designer boardgames has gone a little bit more mainstream. I think that sign echoes others. Mainstream is good in that it creates the possibility of more people being hooked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
CovertDad wrote:
kendahlj wrote:

asshole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
budsticky wrote:
I saw Ticket to Ride at my local Target. It was selling for $49.99 and on the very bottom shelf where the games were. It's nice to see these games showing up, but at full retail and with poor presence I don't see how they can make a dent.

Its an uphill battle for sure, but the nice thing about TtR is the box - it has the wonderful, vibrant, colorful art (which depicts people having fun), several awards, and the stamp that says something like 1.2 million copies sold.

All things that will help push a non "geek" to purchasing it over the Monopolys and Sorrys that a son/daughter or niece/nephew surely already owns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.