Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would've sworn on a stack of rulebooks, that the original rules had a section for 2 player that had something like 3 variations from 'regular'-like Starting Player alternates each turn....but for the life of me-I cannot find them in the rulebook. I cannot find them here. I cannot find them ANYWHERE.

Help me. Help me.

Sam I Am.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be thinking of the solo rules (?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No-

Strangely enough...when I say '2-player' what I am actually meaning to communicate is 2(two)-player....also the concept of alternating the starting player while playing solo pushes the envelope a tad.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, there are absolutely no different 2p rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
As far as I know, there are absolutely no different 2p rules.

There was a variant. It was adding an additional clay to the clay action to stop the starvation in 2 player which commonly occurs (from memory, I may be wrong). It was approved by the Designer I think. Some players add the action cards for 3 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
No-

Strangely enough...when I say '2-player' what I am actually meaning to communicate is 2(two)-player....also the concept of alternating the starting player while playing solo pushes the envelope a tad.....

I knew what you meant. I've recently read the rules, and I didn't see anything about special rules for 2 player games. There are, however, special rules for solo play, and special rules for "family" play (e.g. games without occupations or minor improvements). What you described sounded a bit like the solo rules (e.g. you might have been thinking of those rules differences).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be losing it....

...as an aside-since the only wood source on 2 player is the "3 Wood"-there are only 3 x 14 = 42 wood for both players for the entire game-3 extra rooms is 15-leaving 6 for all barns and fencing

..of course someone might get lucky and get an Occupation or Minor improvement which either increases wood or decreases wood-costs...but that's just a matter of luck.

I could have SWORN there were specific 2-player rules. I'd say that old age is gonna be a blast-but it appears to have begun already....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Tibs

Where did these come from?

With the 2 player game there are no such cards put out (i.e. all the numbers in the upper left are either 3/3F, 4/4F. or 5/5F).

Are there others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McClure
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this what you're looking for? http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/488758/official-2-player-fix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
I must be losing it....

...as an aside-since the only wood source on 2 player is the "3 Wood"-there are only 3 x 14 = 42 wood for both players for the entire game-3 extra rooms is 15-leaving 6 for all barns and fencing

..of course someone might get lucky and get an Occupation or Minor improvement which either increases wood or decreases wood-costs...but that's just a matter of luck.

I could have SWORN there were specific 2-player rules. I'd say that old age is gonna be a blast-but it appears to have begun already....

Wood is extremely precious in basegame 2-player Agricola. Like you said, though, there is a plethora of cards to alleviate this pressure. There are enough of them to minimize the luck element, especially if you draft or choose 7 out of 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
I must be losing it....

When I taught my girlfriend the game (2-player, "family mode"), she was the one to point out that there are only 42 wood (and thus extremely limited and valuable), and proceeded to completely shut me out of wood for most of the game. I was forced to upgrade my house to clay first, then add clay rooms, then add family members, and finally upgrade to stone. The mid-to-late game was mostly a battle over wood and the "first turn" marker. Of course, my mistake was that I tried to "play nice", as it was supposed to be a teaching game and I wanted her to enjoy it, but since she kept me from getting any wood, I prevented her from upgrading to clay. In the end, she completely destroyed me (48 to 38?) by both increasing to 5 family members and getting all 3 types of livestock as early as possible, while I mostly farmed grain and baked bread (until I finally got some wood and fenced in some pasture in the last two rounds).

Needless to say, since then, games are no-holds-barred, cutthroat exercises in resource deprivation. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Joe-

No. Not cards...rules...specific 2-player rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rollo: I made those cards in response to the "official fix" thread that Joe linked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
@Joe-

No. Not cards...rules...specific 2-player rules.

In that case there are none. They are all variants (which are also rules by the way but it seems you don't want those) as there is nothing to actually fix, it is a matter of taste.

So:

1. There are no specific rules to the main game with 2 player.

2. There are optional rules some players use according to taste. Calling it a fix or not is semantics. The game is fine as it is.

3. Of those optionals at least one has been officially approved.

Some players are very loose with their language to pursued others of their opinion. So if anyone says 'the game is broke here is the official fix' don't take it at face value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said^^

There is no need for a 2P 'fix'; only ways in which people can play it with slightly agonising.

As for this chap...

iNano78 wrote:

When I taught my girlfriend the game (2-player, "family mode"), she was the one to point out that there are only 42 wood (and thus extremely limited and valuable), and proceeded to completely shut me out of wood for most of the game. I was forced to upgrade my house to clay first, then add clay rooms, then add family members, and finally upgrade to stone. The mid-to-late game was mostly a battle over wood and the "first turn" marker. Of course, my mistake was that I tried to "play nice", as it was supposed to be a teaching game and I wanted her to enjoy it, but since she kept me from getting any wood, I prevented her from upgrading to clay. In the end, she completely destroyed me (48 to 38?) by both increasing to 5 family members and getting all 3 types of livestock as early as possible, while I mostly farmed grain and baked bread (until I finally got some wood and fenced in some pasture in the last two rounds).

Er...just underneath Build Rooms/Stables. You know that's an action space, right? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
As for this chap...

iNano78 wrote:

Er...just underneath Build Rooms/Stables. You know that's an action space, right? shake

Yes, but it seems terribly inefficient. I think I got 2 wood from that action, which, along with 9 wood from the normal wood action, allowed for 3 squares to be fenced with 2 stables (in 2 fenced pastures; 11 woodpieces total, IIRC) to contain my ~ 6 sheep and ~ 3 pigs at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't follow.

Food accumulates on the Starting Player space in the family game. And then you're guaranteed (at least) 3 wood next round. I'd be over the moon if I could get 9 Wood from a single wood action.

And, if you accumulate 11 wood and know you're not going to collect all the livestock, you should probably be fencing 6 spaces, 3x2. That will score more than fencing 3 spaces with 2 stables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jack Smith-

Where can I find the 'officially approved' 2-player variant/optional rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
I don't follow.

Food accumulates on the Starting Player space in the family game. And then you're guaranteed (at least) 3 wood next round. I'd be over the moon if I could get 9 Wood from a single wood action.

I never got 9 wood in one action; only 3 at once on three occasions (mid-to-late in the game). My mistake was, once I thought my GF was done collecting wood (had already added 2 rooms with no way to add family members yet), I obtained the first turn marker. I decided not to grab the 3 wood at start of the round, as I'd prefer 6 next round (HUGE error in judgment). She didn't take it with her first chance, so I thought it was safe. At the end of the round, she grabbed the first-turn marker, then immediately took the 6 wood before I had a chance. (DOH!) That was the only time in the game that 6 wood "piled up".

ousgg wrote:
And, if you accumulate 11 wood and know you're not going to collect all the livestock, you should probably be fencing 6 spaces, 3x2. That will score more than fencing 3 spaces with 2 stables.

You're correct. I wasn't paying that close of attention, as I was distracted by the bleating, oinking, and lowing of her livestock while my farm was pretty much a vacant lot (with some veggies and grain). shake Actually, I built the stables early (from the 2 wood I got via that action you pointed out), and then used "After Upgrade (to stone), then Fences" to enclose them ... and then nabbed some sheeps and pigs.

Next time I will show no mercy. The wood SHALL be mine. Hwa hwa hwa hwaaaaaa! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
iNano78 wrote:
Next time I will show no mercy. The wood SHALL be mine. Hwa hwa hwa hwaaaaaa! devil
Just make certain you don't lose this war because you're still fighting the last one!

(Translation: while you focus on wood hogging, your opponent may decide to block you in other ways, e.g. by hogging all the clay and/or reed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Derakon wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
Just make certain you don't lose this war because you're still fighting the last one!

(Translation: while you focus on wood hogging, your opponent may decide to block you in other ways, e.g. by hogging all the clay and/or reed)

Yeah, if you think 42 wood is scarce, wait til you realize there's only 14 clay and reed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas E.
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
4 Player Games have the same amount of Wood and in best case the same amount of Reed per player.
So why is everybody talking about scarcity in 2p?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lueg wrote:
4 Player Games have the same amount of Wood and in best case the same amount of Reed per player.
So why is everybody talking about scarcity in 2p?

3-player games have an additional starting action where 2 wood accumulate each round.

4-player games have 2 additional starting actions, where 1 and 2 wood accumulate each round, respectively.

5-player games have a starting action where 4 wood accumulates each round.

The 2-player (non-family) game is unique in that there is only 1 action where a player can get wood.
(In the family version, you can also get 1 wood from the "Day Laborer" action)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas E.
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
but it's also unique in having only one rival and you are always able to match an action with an immediate reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.